DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Subaru Impreza STi. I am planning on putting in quite a bit of sound deadening and sealing off the trunk. I am guessing this will decrease the output of my 12" ID12 sub in the trunk. I know I could just add more power or another sub to get back to the same bass from the trunk but I would prefer to be more stealthy.

One thing I have seen people do is build a box around 0.25 cuft under the passenger seat and put a slim sub there. I have seen a lot of slim 8" and a few 10" done this way. Now because the sub is in the cabin will the output be better than from the trunk?

I have about 250-300 watts right now to work with. Another crazy idea I had was to go infinite baffle. I don't quite understand how the subs would fire through the back seat though.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
As long as you don't seal the trunk from the cabin, I don't see how sound deadening would hurt bass output. Actually, the deadening may reduce audible resonances of various walls, so there may be a barely perceivable drop in output, but you will gain more cleanness in bass.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Do both. If you have the processing to make it work, it will be awesome. Have the 12 in the back covering the low lows, and add the shallow sub to keep your bass up front.

I just did this in my car and it made an incredible difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts