DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! New guy here :)

I've got a 1996 Mercury sable that I'm wanting to do IB with, but due to height limitations, I can only fit 12s. I an run 2 or 3, either works..
3 would have to be d4, 2 can be either d2 or svc4 to wire to 3/2ohm respectively. 2 will recieve ~200w each, 3 ~100w each.
Any suggestions for some good 12s/ differences between the 2/3 setup?
I'm currently looking at the Pyle plbw12s.

-Deiko

·
Banned
887 Posts
have you tried searching first? Lots of threads here about IB already. Might be of some benefit to you.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
bang for the buck, the pyles do work very well. on 2-300 watts they work very well.

are you looking at staying around $50 each or could you go higher?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked around on here, but see very minimal infirmation on 12s. Most of everything i see is geared towards 15+.

Going off of that, if i angle a pair of 15s it could work.
Cone area - from what I have read - is key in IB. Cone area being very similar on 3 12s and 2 15s, what other variables need to be considered?

Minbari - I can go a little higher. I have $350 absolute max budgetted for the subs alone, but would prefer staying below it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where in texas are you. I have a set of the alpine type s's in my car now.
Roughly 10 miles south of Ft. Worth, in the Burleson/Crowley area.
Are yours ran in IB? I've heard about type-s with that.. also are they the 12s?
I'm going from one Sundown Sa8 to something more... clean. Decided to make a change for the better

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I have looked around on here, but see very minimal infirmation on 12s. Most of everything i see is geared towards 15+.

Going off of that, if i angle a pair of 15s it could work.
Cone area - from what I have read - is key in IB. Cone area being very similar on 3 12s and 2 15s, what other variables need to be considered?

Minbari - I can go a little higher. I have $350 absolute max budgetted for the subs alone, but would prefer staying below it.
Dayton makes a couple subs taylored for IB that would stay under that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw those. The IB line only comes in 15" and 18" sadly. 15s *may* work, but like I said, it would have to be a very sharp angle to get them to fit.
The Dayton Classic seems to be nice, but I'm not too sure

·
Registered
278 Posts
mine are 15's and a pair of them. my car has some acoustic issues with front fired subs when mounted at the baffle, tried a box with a 15 and they all roll off on the top at around 60hz. but the low end is effortless and good sounding.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I saw those. The IB line only comes in 15" and 18" sadly. 15s *may* work, but like I said, it would have to be a very sharp angle to get them to fit.
The Dayton Classic seems to be nice, but I'm not too sure
other than esthetics, doesnt matter if you have to angle them.

15" will give you more output per watt. means less excursion for a given output level. up to you, I would go as big as will fit. I would have went with 18" but 15" was the absolute biggest would fit in my little car, lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only real issue with them to me is I go right back to the same trunk space lost. One reason I want IB is to gain my trunk back.
I've pretty much decided on 12s, since that would relieve the spacial issues.
3 12s (in theory) would be similar output to 2 15s. Cone area is pretty similar.
I've narrowed it down to 2 jbl gto 12s, 2 alpine type s 12s, or 3 pyle blue wave 12s.
Any any any any idea are greatly appreciated

Since i listen to mostly rock/metal/electro, I don't need below 30hz too much. 30-45hz is really where my authority needs to be, as well as stable to around 80hz or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Will look through them,thanks,.

Question; 2 12s vs 1 12: the 2 12s would be 200w each, roughly 12-14mm xmax each, or 1 12 on 400w with 16+mm xmax. Whats the difference?
for pure output, assuming you never exceed xmax, not much. only difference might be less power compression on the (2) 12" setup. sensitivity will play a factor as well.

the (2) 12" route will not drive the subs as hard and will prolly have better sq

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
$100 a sub limit and keeping to 2 subs I think one of the best value subs per dollar taking into account linear displacement would be the RE SR Pro 12's. I'd say the SRX for $99 but unfortunately Sonics is sold out of those so the $109 SR Pro's are better. They're also made in the US so that's plus. These guys have 18mm of excursion. If you're going to be pushing 200 watts to an IB subwoofer I think you'll definitely want the added excursion to keep everything clean.

RE Audio SR PRO 12D2 12" SR PRO Series Car Subwoofer

Just a quick simulation shows me I'm getting 18mm of excursion with 200 watts IB at 20 hz. This means you'll always be in the linear range of the subwoofers' excursion with the power you'll feed them so you'll have excellent sub bass response and only need to buy 2 subwoofers to achieve it. A pair of them will definitely outperform three Pyles with their 7mm xmax.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have a pair of AE IB12 4ohm SVC subwoofers that I am considering selling. They were designed for infinite baffle. PM me of you are interested

1 - 17 of 17 Posts