DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it's been a couple years since I've looked at subs. Back then, I was looking at getting an Infinity Perfect 12" sub. I know quite a few new subs have come out since then. However, I haven't really looked at all these new brands/models coming out. I'm hoping you guys can point me to something as good or better than my old choice. ...or tell me the Infinity is still one of the best avallable.

I'm not limitting myself to brand(maybe not Sony or Lightning Audio, lol), price(nothing tremendously high), or power requirements(amp will be bought to match).

My current setup:
'02 Subaru Forester(4 door hatchback environment)
JVC KD-AR8500 HU
PG Ti Comp 6.5" Elite components, Morel TW1 tweeters front
Cadence Z4000 4 channel amp, bridged to comps
No rear fill

Now, I'm looking primarily for SQ as the sub will only be used to fill in the lower frequencies. I have no concern for getting loud or boomy. It's mearly blend and fill duty. I'd like a sub that would match the Elite componenents in feel and detail. I'm not sure about the crossover point yet, 50-70Hz range probably. As well, this will only be a single sub in a sealed or ported box of appropriate size. The amp will be choosen based on the sub's specs. The box will be custom built, sealed or ported, to match the sub's volume requirements and probably tuned flat. I haven't decided on the sealed or ported aspect. I know certain subs like one or the other, so it may be more sub based. Ported is suppost to go lower and get louder with lese power, so it's attractive. However sealed is suppost to be tighter and more accurate. Trade-offs.

Would the Infinitys still be a very good choice? Similar would be a Shiva or Titanic. Is there much better no-a-days? My bro was suggesting ID subs as a choice. My brother even suggested the ED EU700 6.5" subs as an SQ option(he's using them in his car now, currently in-door and not really showing performance capability). I've heard great things about Seas speakers, woofers and subwoofers. Would staying with PG be more appropriate? I know there's a ton of choices out there. I'm just looking for a little help.

I started this post over on Car Audio Forum. Here's a link to the post if you want to see what was already suggested to me.
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/showthread.php?t=231504

I'm posting here and on Elite Car Audio to try to get a little more variety of suggestions and maybe some real gems.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I really like the Dayton reference series or Peerless XXLS for exactly that purpose you describe. Take a look at the testing forum, you can see they are very well built and designed... something not too common in drivers that price.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ID subs have been highly suggestion. However, I've known about the Dayton and Adire subs for a long time. I've come across posts of the high fidelity Daytons, and they intrigue me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've used the IDQv2 for a year now. I used to keep the xover/slope matching the midbass, but started playing around and found it still sounds great without any crossovers, and playing with its natural rolloff. I now keep it LP at 80Hz/6dB, with the Oz HP at 63Hz/18dB. A really nice blend for my wagon.

I highly recommend the IDQ. My next subs to try would also be the Peerless XXLS or Dayton Reference HF. As stated, look at the tests. I've also been curious about Soundsplinter.

I think the newer IDQv4 is right around the corner. I'm guessing after CES.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
mvw2: i can tell you that i was in teh same exact situation as you last month. I've had a perfect 12" for 5 years running on 350 watts PG tantrum. I just got a new car and decided to start from stratch for a purely audiohpile system. The subwoofer i ended up getting was teh Seas Lotus which i started running at 200 watts off a Diamond D7, and now i got a 2nd D7 to push 600 watts to it.

I will admit that the seas is a damn smooth and great sound quality sub, but it doesn't have as much deep huff that i would like to have a sub to have. If i had a choice to start over, i think i might have gotten a diamond TDX/D9 or a JL W7 instead. I haven't heard an IDmax or the DIY brands so i can't say much about them. But i am running the seas W18nx drivers, and they blend in with the sub perfectly.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
oh, i've played a bit with the new perfect VQ. It has alot more huff over the old one, if you liked the old perfect, you'll love the VQ. It has adjustable magnents on the back so you can control the type of sound you want it to produce. Very good if you plan to build your own box to it's characteristics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts