DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just (mostly) finished my garage tunes build for listening and testing for my side hustle of fixing 12v things. It’s built out of mostly scraps or things I came up on broken and cheap. I need to tie up a few more wires to tidy up, but it works and sounds great! I’ll link a video here. What do you think?
-Pioneer deh-p5500mp
-PPI PCX 5800 amp
-PG EQ-215x
-JBL GTO 10
-Polk DB 6.5 CS
-Amazon BT RX
-DPS-1300BB 1300w server power supply
Gas Electrical wiring Engineering Machine Technology
Wood Rectangle Table Musical instrument accessory Gas
Working animal Circuit component Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas
Luggage and bags Wood Motor vehicle Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Electronic instrument Audio equipment Motor vehicle Wood
Wood Automotive exterior Audio equipment Gas Motor vehicle
Gas Audio equipment Font Machine Auto part
Wood Gas Plywood Hardwood Concrete

· Registered
92 Posts
ive always wanted to build a garage system with leftover gear, but i always got stuck on what power supply to use.

That server power supply gonna be enough?

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive always wanted to build a garage system with leftover gear, but i always got stuck on what power supply to use.

That server power supply gonna be enough?
So far, yeah. It’ll deliver 1300w at 12.3v and those things are reliable. I’ve cranked it pretty good and it hangs with whatever music I put through it. Voltage won’t even drop 1/10th volt. They are only like $40 new too. Of course there are more powerful ones as well, but this one fit my needs.

· Registered
92 Posts
So far, yeah. It’ll deliver 1300w at 12.3v and those things are reliable. I’ve cranked it pretty good and it hangs with whatever music I put through it. Voltage won’t even drop 1/10th volt. They are only like $40 new too. Of course there are more powerful ones as well, but this one fit my needs.
Thanks! Keep us updated on how it goes. I'm pretty sure i've got everything sitting in the garage to put together a garage system, minus the power supply. For $40, i may give it a try!

· Registered
326 Posts
That's pretty sweet! I wonder if it really does 1300 watts? I dont know if the power supply industry tends to be more honest then the amp industry or what. Did you get it on ebay? I was just looking a little and it looks like that's about where they're the least expensive.
That's a cool setup though man! I'm powering a Dayton bass shaker on my computer stereo system and on my bedroom system I keep one of my car subs in rotation at any given time, both powered by computer power supplies. I'd like to have one with a bit more balls though.

· Registered
731 Posts
they 100% do the current/power. I have 2x of similar server power supplies.

little distinction there, these are not just consumer grade computer power supplies, these are industrial grade server power supplies.

i like this style of power supply myself. it's from HP, used in IT servers. now people use them for bitcoin mining. they are very efficient. they need a little mod to add a resistor soldered on to the board, but then they output ~70A-80A ea @ 12.7-12.9V.

Test bench equipment

· Registered
92 Posts
they 100% do the current/power. I have 2x of similar server power supplies.

little distinction there, these are not just consumer grade computer power supplies, these are industrial grade server power supplies.

i like this style of power supply myself. it's from HP, used in IT servers. now people use them for bitcoin mining. they are very efficient. they need a little mod to add a resistor soldered on to the board, but then they output ~70A-80A ea @ 12.7-12.9V.

Test bench equipment
one of these guys?

· Registered
731 Posts
yup exactly this.

couple things to keep in mind....... you are buying used equipment - - what would be ideal is if the person selling you this has tested them, when i bought mine i found a seller that verified them to work before buying.

also, you would have to do a little work, if they do not have the resistor soldered onto those terminals, you need to do that and also figure out a way to add your power & ground wires yourself..... so minor tech work there. unless your seller did that already..... when i bought mine, someone did the mod & added some terminals and then also tested them out.

make sure you check out those links i had in my previous post. if you're minorly electronics savvy, they are a great deal and do what they advertise. 👍

· Registered
731 Posts
i assume the people selling these are IT guys that take older used server power supplies from work and re-sell them, so they probably pay $0 for them.... but none the less. real nice.

They appear to cost ~$425 new from HP.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine is a DPS-1300BB or something like that. I just soldered the 10awg wires to the blind mate connectors. Then you add a switch between two terminals on the pin array to turn it on…standard pin spacing so I ripped a 2 pin connector off an old car alarm.

· Registered
92 Posts
These breakout boards for hooking up multiple machines to a single power supply work great and are really cheap. I think this one came from parralel miner and was about $15. Though you can find cheaper ones that don't display voltage...

View attachment 312968
I've only seen ones with a bunch of molex style connectors....or maybe they were 8pin'ers for gpus

That looks really nice if you were using it as a test bench. Would be nice to have ones that would accept a 4ga.

· Registered
731 Posts
@JoshM these look nice. i wanted to buy some actually.
hey do you have multiple power supplies? have you ever used the load sharing or current sharing feature?
where you could run 2x of these power supplies in parallel to 2x the current capability?

HP Power Supply DPS-1200FB - Run in Parallel??? - RC Groups

These breakout boards for hooking up multiple machines to a single power supply work great and are really cheap. I think this one came from parralel miner and was about $15. Though you can find cheaper ones that don't display voltage...

View attachment 312968

· Registered
8,024 Posts
Very cool! Nice work!

Intrigued by the title of your thread, I did a quick double-take at first glance at the first picture and those Polk DB 6.5s, as it looks somewhat similar to a 12v car audio test rig I built back in 2016. However, yours is SOOOOO much more versatile and nicely designed, built and finished than mine!

In case you or anyone else might find it interesting, here's a link to the thread about my 12v car audio test rig project:

...and the boombox project that the test rig was originally built for:

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very cool! Nice work!

Intrigued by the title of your thread, I did a quick double-take at first glance at the first picture and those Polk DB 6.5s, as it looks somewhat similar to a 12v car audio test rig I built back in 2016. However, yours is SOOOOO much more versatile and nicely designed, built and finished than mine!

In case you or anyone else might find it interesting, here's a link to the thread about my 12v car audio test rig project:

...and the boombox project that the test rig was originally built for:
Lol, I replied to your tagged post. Here is what I said:
I remember coming across your build when I was designing mine! I like it. The Polk component is basically the exact same thing as what you have but separate tweeters and xovers. I would have mounted them like yours but the tweets were kinda hacked to fit whatever the previous installer did. All my speakers are low-mid entry level so they play well together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.