DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is a better product? Better meaning lower distortion, SQ, powerhandling, etc, etc.

Bigger isn't always better so I can't assume that the 13W7 is superior. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, the JL's 1st W7 is the 12-incher and all other diameters were just based from it.

Any inputs? I'm looking for a possible upgrade from my 12" IDMAX.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The 13W7 handles more power & should have less distortion at the same volume compared to the 12W7. How much power do you have available?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently I have the sub channel of an Audison LRx5.1k working for me. The manual says 1000W @ 1 ohm of class D juice is on tap, but I honestly think that's a bit overrated.

Btw, the sub will be for SQ duty. I'm just looking for the holy grail in smooth, distortion free and accurate bass, not SPL.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
i agree with the above comment, but for sq the 12w7 would do quite nicely. the 13w7 is pretty bottom heavy when you factor in the transfer function of most vehicles. imo that makes the 12 much easier to blend (unless you have a hpf or peq for the sub channel, that would make things easier) and would occupy less space.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Currently I have the sub channel of an Audison LRx5.1k working for me. The manual says 1000W @ 1 ohm of class D juice is on tap, but I honestly think that's a bit overrated.

Btw, the sub will be for SQ duty. I'm just looking for the holy grail in smooth, distortion free and accurate bass, not SPL.
Sounds like a SI Mag v4 is what you're after. It will match up well with that rated power too.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Just for info, I have a 3.1k and I know for sure the 5.1k won't go to 1ohm...
8, 4, 2 ohms only. Supposed to be 1200rms @ 2 ohm.

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if I'm not mistaken, the JL's 1st W7 is the 12-incher and all other diameters were just based from it.
The JL Audio website reads: "Each W7 (8-inch version to 13.5-inch version) is a completely unique design and shares no major parts with its siblings. Each motor and each suspension system is specifically designed and tuned for each driver."

If this is true, then I'd have to say that this is impressive (even for a 7 year old product). Totally unheard of in today's "cookie cutter" Car Audio manufacturers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts