DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

Running 6 coax speakers on my bike. 2 Ground Zero Yellow Baskets (250wrms crossed @ 90hz) in pods down below, 2 mmats pa601cx in the fairing, and 2 Hertz SX 165 Neo's in the tour pak pods (150wrms & both crossed @ 100hz)

Kenwood-KMR-M325BT head unit has 13 band EQ adjustments. Obviously the idea on a bike is to hear it loud going down the hwy...which requires tons of clean power...but certain songs just "scream" in my face. Is there anyone that would know which settings to tone down and which to increase to help offset that increased need to be really loud?

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Howdy folks,

Running 6 coax speakers on my bike. 2 Ground Zero Yellow Baskets (250wrms crossed @ 90hz) in pods down below, 2 mmats pa601cx in the fairing, and 2 Hertz SX 165 Neo's in the tour pak pods (150wrms & both crossed @ 100hz)

Kenwood-KMR-M325BT head unit has 13 band EQ adjustments. Obviously the idea on a bike is to hear it loud going down the hwy...which requires tons of clean power...but certain songs just "scream" in my face. Is there anyone that would know which settings to tone down and which to increase to help offset that increased need to be really loud?

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Holy crap! You have 6 tweeters playing basically at ear level, I would probably pulling everything from 4khz down. Without hearing it though nobody can really tell you what to do, I imagine it sounds awful though.
😆 - I wouldn't say it sounds awful...just certain songs really get loud.

Here is a walk away with a song that does not bother me at high volume...

but something with high treble (soft rock) really pierces the ears sometimes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2kHz is what most people call "ringing" when they hear feedback at a concert as this is the most common xover point in large scale sound reinforcement so all the drivers in the top boxes are contributing to the problem. So I'd start with 1 / 1.6 / 2.5 range and if that's not the problem then download a frequency generator on your phone and use it to sweep the spectrum till you find the offending frequency.
Fair enough...how much do you think I should drop them to become effective? Also, what app would you recommend?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So each level I drop on that freq is 3db? Am I getting that right? Checking with my O-Scope will definitely be invaluable to determine exact wattage once I have got the band dialed in.

Pardon my ignorance

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok when you turn the volume up on the phone stay out of the red. Past the red and you get the same issues you have now. Screaming horns, vocals and bass that'll blow your speakers if your not listening.

Give that a shot and let's see how that works.
I set the gains with my phone volume on max...there is no "red" section? Phone maxed, deck @ 32, I have no clipping on my scope.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh boy...now I am really confused.

Pixel 5...12.

When I was tinkering around with my O-Scope and the lowering/raising the freq level, the total output wattage changes as I lowered/raised the levels. So my 150w going to my mmats was 127 when I dropped everything from 4k up to -4. Does that mean that once I find the sound I like, I need to turn gain up again to hit target voltage?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No! You don’t want anywhere near 127watts near a tweeter… you don’t have a target voltage to hit… Set your gains at low freqs and the top end will do what it does, defo don’t go cranking gains to match some pointless voltage number
No but I do...doing 80mph down the freeway, you won't hear a coax with only 100w.

I really think it's time for a DSP.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wow!! That is extremely detailed and I appreciate it. Although I don't understand it all, I can say that I don't believe the phone to be the issue. It's not a clarity thing...just more "highs" are too high thing.

Majority of the time, the stereo is being played @ 70% to max volume...only rarely (a song I love) do I crank it up...but that's all. I cannot really ride around all day with full crank...not enjoyable.

I will take your advice on the earplug method and see if I can find a happy medium...I really think the DSP route is going to be the more favourable option.

But seriously, thanks again for that tremendous response.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts