DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

$130 Deck - Pioneer or JVC

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  kyheng 
#1 ·
I have been lusting over this Pioneer for awhile... I was going to grab one on cyber monday. But on my other forum a guy is building a system around this JVC.

The JVC has better features, though does not look as good in my opinion. Both have variable color displays... which is a big deal for me. Although I have heard rumors that JVC displays like this you can set to be different colors at night, etc... is this true? Does the Pioneer do the same?

I am most concerned about quality though... which will last me the longest and give me the best sound?

JVC has these over the Pioneer:
Comes with HD Radio
3 sets of RCAs
Rear Aux. Input

JVC KD-HDR70

Pioneer DEH-6300UB

#6 ·
Any more questionable than the build house used for JVC or Pioneer? I doubt it. I think Sony has a "product pushing" marketing department which causes people to think their amps and subs are junk because they are generally overrated or marked with MAX power ratings. Not backing Sony, just saying they probably have the same failure rate as most mass produced CA products.

My question about the HU was for SQ. How does it reproduce sound? How much noise does it allow into the RCA's? And a must, how is the iPod interface?

I don't think it looks bad; just a little too much chrome.

#9 ·
Looks cool. I just searched for a Pioneer of the same type of thing... older and top of the line. No luck

So if JVC and Pioneer both fail at the same rate... I guess it is down to personal preference. My system will eventually use an AudioControl 6XS, so x-overs etc I dont really care about...

#13 ·
I've been using the heck out of the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395. $139.99 from authorized dealers. 3x 4volt preouts, HP (F&R), LP (Sub) Crossovers. Front USB and AUX. solid little head unit for the price.

#14 ·
Pre out voltage does not matter to me... well it does for a short while I suppose. By next Summer I will have an auiocontrol 6XS crossover unit... which bump my voltage to about 9V for my amplifier...

I really want something with customizable colors... my BMW E30 has amber interior lighting that is hard to match.

#15 ·
The pioneer has the option to "create" your own colors. With both the lcd screen and the bottons.
You just select custom in the illumination menu and turn the dial till you get what you want.

#16 ·
I played with them both at BestBuy tonight (the two from the original post)

My thoughts:

The Pioneer was great. Menu navigation is awesome, and the click hit of the display button to tell it what song information to display I love. The custom colors are easy to set and the thing looks clean. The all in one nob I find a bit hard to use... but once I break it in it will be much better. I love being able to use one knob to do a bunch of different things. Only thing I didn't like was how "loose" the buttons were. I dont know if this BestBuy unit has had a hard life or what.

The JVC is easy to navigate as well.. the colors I changed in store and I like the diea of day/night profiles. I dont like though how the color profile you have set disspaears when going through the settings menu (it goes back to blue until you get back to the song or radio, etc.) The buttons felt really solid though. I dont like the radio presets setup, but overall it has great bang for buck.

Im thinking I will go with that $100 JVC. Or maybe the $130... although I dont really need HD radio.

Oh and is there a special antenna for the HD radio?

#18 ·
I have the Kenwood x995 in one vehicle and the x695 in the other and I like them both. I got the x695 from Crutchfield refurb for $146 shipped. 3 sets of RCA outs, 4 volt I believe, and other nice features as well and it looks good. The only problem I have with it is the glare off of it from the sun at times. The x995 rocks IMHO, time alignment, 3 sets of RCA outs, bluetooth, HD radio and Pandora, although I can't get the Pandora to work through my Android phone but the bluetooth in both is great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.