897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle: 2015 Focus ST ST3 with Sony 10 speaker system
System contains 6.5 + tweet in each door, center channel on dash + 8in sub

Goal: Upgrade the upgraded system with maintaining a full stock appearance

Gear Owned: HAT Imagine 161-2 set + PPI 365CS set + IDQ12v3d4
Arc 900.1d + Alpine Kac X4R

Primary music : 40 Hard Rock + 40 Hip Hop +20 edm

Initial design thoughts: I believe the speakers I have are generally regarded as good choices for the money even if most of what i have is over 5 years old. The PPI set was used in my f150 front stage passive, then later active then replaced 2 years ago by the Imagine 161-2 full active with the Alpine X4R. The ICQ12 ran off the Arc 900.1 downfired behind the passenger seat. The IDQ12 will not work in this car as there isnt enough space so must be liquidated as most likely the Arc 900.1 and the X4R is a [email protected] with DSP built in, but each are more of a square shape and where i want them im limited to longer thinner amps.

Sub Stage: Id like to tuck a Sundown SD3 12 or settle for a 10 as id like to get as close to or better than the IDQ. Ive got anywhere from .6 to 1 cubes available but depth is an issue where the surrounding around around the spare is only about 5.5in deep. Or Fiberglass into the spare tire might be the best option, but have 0 experience with fiberglass. Any better options for a shallower sub with good output similar to an IDQ?

Front Stage: Thinking of mounting the Imagine set into the stock locations in the doors and the PPI into the rear doors. Leaving the rear tweets and the front center running off the stock amp. The stock Sony amp overheats if you remove the load off it completely.
I have to run at least an Lc2i possibly a 6/7i to retain all front controls. Any better options?
If I liquidate the X4R I lose my DSP so I will need another source and an amp to run the system.

If this was your situation what would you do with a modest budget?

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
What are your goals, what are you trying to improve? Rear speakers (without advanced processing) will cause problems with a proper stereo reproduction. Is proper stereo reproduction a goal (do you care about staging and imaging, the neat things that come from proper stereo) or do you just want loud and clear (potentially fun, but not proper stereo).

Skip the rears unless you have a DSP that can do proper rear fill (L-R, attenuated, delay, bandpassed). Other wise you get a second stereo playing behind the first stereo up front, which doesn't do good things.

Basically, many of us aim for a true, realistic STEREO reproduction. Unless we know your goals, most of the advice will be related to getting you a "proper" stereo. However, some people don't want a great stereo image, they want loud and clear. They are not the same thing, loud and clear is one thing, it's easy and relatively cheap. A proper stereo is more work, and usually more money, and for some people it's less desirable. Without knowing your goals (current and long-term) we don't know which direction to steer you into. You'll get a bunch of, do this it's "better." But that won't be too helpful until we know what you want out of a system.

My stereo has great imaging and staging, with good frequency response. To some people, especially those in the back seats, it's not that impressive, but in the driver's seat, it's very satisfying. So, what do you want? A system that sounds great to you, the driver, or a system that sounds pretty good for everyone in the car?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
99% I care about me. So imaging and decent staging is important. I consider myself a mild audiophile, but without the budget to get great stuff. So bang for buck are important. I care about good sound but not trying to recreate a studio in my vehicle.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If i stick with the Kenwood X4R, does it make sense to use an audio control lc7i to pull a signal off the sony amp or still go with an external dsp?
Does the extra 150$ min on something like the mini c-dsp give me anything anything extra thats worth it?

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
X4R only gives 4 channels of DSP power, the added DSP of a C-DSP Mini would round out the extra channels in a big system for much better control from all your separates.

that said, your goals are minimal and you'd do fine with just an X4R in the midrange/mid bass section using a basic LOC off your factory system unless you can't pull full range, and need a summing tap like the Cleansweep or whatever.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I understand the factory amp sends a full range signal to the front woofers.
For now id leave the rear 4 speakers and center channel off the stock amp. Going with an external dsp would defiantly be desired if i chose to amp the rear speakers or the center channel or a different amp all together is my thought.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trying to go the LC7i route and use the DSP built into my amp.
I pulled inputs from the stock amp into the LC7i then hooked up the amps.
Everything is powering up and down properly, but im not getting any output from the LC7i.
Will it take main level inputs and split them into main output + sub channel? Or does it need a minimum of 2 channel inputs?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yeah! St3 Owner here also! Im in the beginning stages of planning... Audible Physics # way up front, single 12 in the back for me... Enclosure will be a large version of the stock one I have now. Have any pictures of the setup for reference on gear placement?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will shortly. I'm going down fire into the spare area, stock amp top left, lc7i below, Kenwood x4r before in lower left. Top right power blocks, below that arc 900.1d below that. Below that I'll mount my tire repair kit and jack stuff.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update since before. The audio control requires at least 2 inputs to get any sort of output. Sadly, the front woofer and tweeter of the 2015 ford amp dont seem to send out a full range signal like previously thought on older models. I am still getting 0 sub response and harsh highs. Appears im going to have to try tapping the rears and see if they work.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I am still getting 0 sub response and harsh highs. Appears im going to have to try tapping the rears and see if they work.
If the car comes with a factory sub...would there not be a dedicated sub-output channel from the HU?? You could be having issues dealing with outputs already EQ'd (pre-set HPF and LPF's) from the Head Unit

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well the audio control is supposed to sum the channels and send them to the amp. From there you set your own crossover points. Don't think I was getting anything lower than 100/200hz so no sub response

You wouldn't want just the stock sub stage because then your stuck with the cross over of the stock 8 inch

·
Registered
732 Posts
You wouldn't want just the stock sub stage because then your stuck with the cross over of the stock 8 inch
Good point...DDfusion has the same "upgraded" Sony using an MS-8 but it still handles signal summing duties as well. Be interesting to know what all he tapped from the OEM Head Unit to get full range output from the MS-8??

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everyone I've seen has tapped after the OEM amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's correct. 2014 and after we have to connect after the amp and wire resistors in series to load the stock amp and prevent it from over heating and cooking speakers.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Changed to the rear input into channel 2 front mid into channel main. Getting good response across all outputs. Now that's done I can work in my new sub box and start finalizing tuning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus ST2

I didn't have to use the resistors as I am using a Mosconi 6to8 DSP which has load resistors built in. I have been running like this for a year now and drive 3hours each way every weekend to Fresno and have not overheated my amps.

System Consists of:

Stock My Touch head unit
Mosconi 6to8DSP
Arc Audio XDi V2 1100.5
Dayton RS180 Mids 63hz-2.5k
SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G (H1396) 1" Textile Dome Tweeter @ 2.5k
* Used to have the Focal Flax PS165FX set in there but swapped them out for these DIY drivers.. Thinking about selling the Focal set at some point.
JL Audio Stealthbox

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice setup, defiantly some quality gear. Found out this morning my dsp amp has developed noise on two channels. Time to shop. Overall I'm happy with my 8 year old gear. Hat imagine mid, old ppi tweets to a kenwood x4r, arc ks 900 to new sd3 12.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts