DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an idea to install a 15" freeair sub behind the rear seat in my 5-series BMW '90, I was looking at Dayton DC380-8 at bmm-electronics.com:
DC380-8 • Dayton Classic woofer 15"* • BMM audio & electronics
Dayton homepage:
Dayton Audio - Dayton Loudspeaker - Loudspeaker Drivers - Classic Series
Data for the driver (4 ohm version):
DCS380-4 15 " Subwoofer 4 OHM Specifications
Power handling: 250 watts RMS/350 watts max
Voice coil diameter: 2"
Le: 2.30 mH
Impedance: 4 ohms
Re: 3.1 ohms
Frequency range: 20-500 Hz
Fs: 20 Hz
SPL: 92 dB 2.83V/1m
Vas: 9.70 cu. ft.
Qms: 4.00
Qes: .50
Qts: .44
Xmax: 8.5 mm
Dimensions:
Overall Diameter: 15"
Cutout Diameter: 14"
Mounting Depth: 6-3/8"
Considering it's T/S parameters, Qts being 0.44, how well does it work as a freeair sub?
What other drivers should I look at in a price range up to $200 (equals to about 140EUR)? I live in Europe so shipping something from the US isn't very cheap.
I have 8" mids in front so the 15" driver doesn't have to be able to play very high.

Tõnu

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Great Call :cool:

Infinite Baffle Series IB15
The IB15 is quite simply the ultimate infinite baffle driver. The IB15 was designed from the ground up to be the most accurate, lowest distortion infinite baffle driver ever made. The high Xmax means these drivers can move some serious amounts of air. The extremely low Fs along with the .707 Qts means there is the greatest possible bass efficiency and lowest possible F3 point without added bass boost needed.

The full copper shorting ring on the pole solves two of the greatest issues causing distortion in loudspeakers that remain not addressed in 99% of drivers available. It both lowers inductance and fixes the flux permanently in the gap. Inductance on the IB15 is as low as many midrange drivers, allowing them to play up high if called upon.

Quite simply, no other infinite baffle driver can match the high levels of clean,low distortion output of the IB15.

Explore the Lambda 001 Motor design

IB15 Highlights:
Hand coated and sealed paper cone and foam surround
Copper Faraday Ring fixes flux permanently in gap and lowers inductance
Low 16Hz Fs and .7 Qts give maximum bass efficiency
Special discounts in four piece quantity

T/S Parameters:
FS: 16.0Hz
Qts: 0.70
Vas: 439L
Z: 8ohm
1WSPL: 86.0dB
Pe: 500W continuos

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Great Call :cool:
Explore the Lambda 001 Motor design

IB15 Highlights:
Hand coated and sealed paper cone and foam surround
Copper Faraday Ring fixes flux permanently in gap and lowers inductance
Low 16Hz Fs and .7 Qts give maximum bass efficiency
Special discounts in four piece quantity

T/S Parameters:
FS: 16.0Hz
Qts: 0.70
Vas: 439L
Z: 8ohm
1WSPL: 86.0dB
Pe: 500W continuos
Those are specs for the home version. Here are the specs and info on the Automotive IB15-4 Ohm version:
Acoustic Elegance • View topic - Automotive IB15-4ohm now available

Many have asked about the possibility of using the IB15's in an automotive environment. While they work reasonably well, there are a few things we wanted to do to make a more suited IB15 for automotive use. We switched to a 4ohm coil and lowered the mass to get a driver with somewhat lower Q, higher efficiency, and a rolloff that will match better with the typical cabin gain in a vehicle.

Auto-IB15-4 :
Fs: 20.4Hz
Qms: 4.5
Vas: 387L
Cms: .4mm/N
Mms: 152g
Rms: 4.35
Xmax: 18.5mm
Sd: 825sqcm
Vd: 3.05L
Qes: .45
Re: 2.7ohm
Z: 4ohm
Le: .163mH
Pe: 300W
Qts: .41
1W SPL: 90.6dB

The response as stated begins to roll off higher in frequency. There is also several db more efficiency and sensitivity than the 8ohm home theater IB drivers. Potential is there for some serious output as well. Most vehicles will see a high level of cabin gain below 30hz. Several vehicles Deon measured a few years ago show around 35dB at 20hz. A single driver models to show almost 108dB at 20hz. Figuring in the 35dB of cabin gain you would see levels of 142dB at 20hz with a single driver and only 300W! This is some very serious output, especially if using multiple drivers.
Acoustic Elegance • View topic - Got my IB15's installed. Mini Review w/pics.
Acoustic Elegance • View topic - IB15's IB install in vehicle
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...e-ib15-4ohm-car-version-idmax-comparison.html

I have a single one myself that I plan to run in a large sedan Here is a pic I took:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've got an exodus audio XJ-15 here that is an ideal IB sub, I've been running mine IB for almost a year and it's awesome, very accurate and gets super low, PM me and I'll get you a price for it, since I'm going to a 12

·
Registered
555 Posts
the AE 15" OR a JBL WGTI MKII 15" are by FAR your best bets. Either one would make a spectacular setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts