DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is what I have learned after 15 years of playing with car audio.

1. A car is a horrible environment for sound quality. Any decent home setup will sound miles better than a car. The only thing a car has going for it is impact and dynamics. Tonally, I have no heard any car that has really impressed me as much as a moderate home setup.

2. Drivers don't matter that much in a car. I've used everything from swap meet components to Seas Excels. In a car with a good processor it is really hard to tell the difference. As long as you use decent drivers you should be fine. Not going to use anything better than a Seas paper cone from now on.

3. I never understood why people spent thousands on car audio amplifiers. You cannot hear the difference in a car. I laugh at people who tell me they can. As long as it is a decent amp and puts out clean power it will work.

4. Install and a quality processor are the most important components of an "SQ" system.

5. Do things yourself and don't trust everyone's opinion.

Good luck and so long DIY mobile audio

Mods deleted my post counts for "spamming" and my for sale thread so this is the last post I will be posting on this forum.

·
Registered
169 Posts
1. A car is a horrible environment for sound quality. Any decent home setup will sound miles better than a car. The only thing a car has going for it is impact and dynamics. Tonally I have no heard any car that has really impressed me as much as a moderate home setup.
Agreed. But that's pretty much the fundamental goal of car audio - to get that "home" sound in a vehicle, isn't it? Well, it is to me at least.

2. Drivers don't matter that much in a car. I've used everything from swap meet components to Seas Excels. In a car with a good processor it is really hard to tell the difference. As long as you use decent drivers you should be fine. Not going to use anything better than a Seas paper cone from now on.
Well maybe if you are using processing to compensate, then yeah you have a point. But what if you're like me and want to have the EQ/processing "built into" the speaker? I keep reading that low-QTS doesn't matter for midbasses in a door because one can use processing to fix its shortcomings. OK, that may be true, but I'd rather have high-QTS speakers and be able to lay off the processing. The less processing, the better.

3. I never understood why people spent thousands on car audio amplifiers. You cannot hear a difference. I laugh at people who tell me they can. As long as it is a decent amp and puts out clean power it will work.
I disagree. Amps do sound different. I can tell the difference right away between my bottom-of-the-line Pioneer 4-ch and a more "high end" Soundstream. The Pioneer sounds way better to me (warmer sounding) than the Soundstream, which sounds very bright. People say I'm crazy for perferring a lowly Pioneer amp but I don't care. It sounds great!

Words to live by.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bye by. It is not fair of you to blame the mods for your circumvention of the forum rules.

So to "get back" at the mods, you propose to deprive the membership of your infinite wisdom gathered over a significant period of time in the industry.

So be it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I took the chance of buying his amps from the post...despite him only one feedback as a buyer. He seems like a nice guy. I was able to get in touch with him before his post was closed. We had texted back and forth alot today as far as the sale of the amps as well as his input on system setup. Look forward to the amps as well as usable advise... thanks.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
dont let the door hit you on the way out, lol. pouty, whiny post if ever I saw one!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Here is what I have learned after 15 years of playing with car audio.

3. I never understood why people spent thousands on car audio amplifiers. You cannot hear the difference in a car. I laugh at people who tell me they can. As long as it is a decent amp and puts out clean power it will work.

Listen a truly great amp, and you'll only need 15 seconds more experience to forget about item #3.

#5 Is good talk, esp. when it comes to forums.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
You're 29 and you've been in this hobby 15 years........so you started at 14:eek:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
its amazing that the assholes in the thread are all in the diyma500 club, yet doesn't surprise me one bit. Hanging around this forum will make anyone bitter and an *******. And then all the sudden a stick up their ass and strings from their hands. Dance puppets! DANCE!

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
its amazing that the assholes in the thread are all in the diyma500 club, yet doesn't surprise me one bit. Hanging around this forum will make anyone bitter and an *******. And then all the sudden a stick up their ass and strings from their hands. Dance puppets! DANCE!
lol...........youve got a bit of bitter yourself there, lol.

he told us all to piss off........that invites a little hostility. I am perfectly nice if you dont treat me with contempt.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
lol...........youve got a bit of bitter yourself there, lol.

he told us all to piss off........that invites a little hostility. I am perfectly nice if you dont treat me with contempt.
Yea, I am bitter, mainly because I know i didn't have 800 posts in classifieds and off topic but somehow my numbers came down like I did. I never got any of the promised "perks" for being a long standing member. Ant's only concern is how much money did the forum make today. I want to make money too but damn how far do you really have to go?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Yea, I am bitter, mainly because I know i didn't have 800 posts in classifieds and off topic but somehow my numbers came down like I did. I never got any of the promised "perks" for being a long standing member. Ant's only concern is how much money did the forum make today. I want to make money too but damn how far do you really have to go?

Nice attitude :bash:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts