DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I might have an opportunity to get a Mtx 1501d to power my 2 18w6's. Would there be a noticeable diff between it and a Power acousik a2400db? My pa put's out an actual 900~rms @ 2 ohm's ([email protected]) and is one of the few pa series amp's that weren't junk imo.

After imp/box rise the 18's only went to 1.6 ohm final load, so the pa will put out closer to if not over the 1000rms mark. I'd also have to mod the mtx if I get it so that will put out a little more too (not that it'll need too).

I modded my old 1501d and enjoyed it and it's flexability. I still have the bs and it put out [email protected] 12.5v in stock form.

Is it worth it to upgrade? I can prob get the mtx <200.

PA:

Mtx:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
your MTX amplifier is a much better amplifier. I bet it puts out more power than the power coustic 2400 watts model no matter what the spec sheet says.

if you actually got 2400 watts vs 1500 watts, you would gain 2dB

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ya, did you read my response? if you want to do it, go for it! if you used the numbers you say the amplifiers will do you will then you wont hear the difference. anything less than 3dB increase and you wont hear it. the PA putting out 1000 watts or the MTX putting out 1100 watts or any other numbers within 2-300 watts wont matter!

if you upgrade from 900watts to 1300 watts you will see 1.5dB increase. that is not audible!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, did you read my response? if you want to do it, go for it! if you used the numbers you say the amplifiers will do you will then you wont hear the difference. anything less than 3dB increase and you wont hear it. the PA putting out 1000 watts or the MTX putting out 1100 watts or any other numbers within 2-300 watts wont matter!

if you upgrade from 900watts to 1300 watts you will see 1.5dB increase. that is not audible!
Thank you ;)

I know the 2400 doesn't do rated ([email protected]/[email protected] @16v). It was a budget buy when I sold my previous mtx. The ratings I listed are an overall average of what those boards usually do. So it look's like it wouldn't be worth it which is a good thing I guess, saves me money.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I might have an opportunity to get a Mtx 1501d to power my 2 18w6's. Would there be a noticeable diff between it and a Power acousik a2400db? My pa put's out an actual 900~rms @ 2 ohm's ([email protected]) and is one of the few pa series amp's that weren't junk imo.

After imp/box rise the 18's only went to 1.6 ohm final load, so the pa will put out closer to if not over the 1000rms mark. I'd also have to mod the mtx if I get it so that will put out a little more too (not that it'll need too).

I modded my old 1501d and enjoyed it and it's flexability. I still have the bs and it put out [email protected] 12.5v in stock form.

Is it worth it to upgrade? I can prob get the mtx <200.

PA:

hi well ya one with out moding the 1501d it wont function good at 1.5 ohm and sure cant operate either amp at 6 ohm ! so if money is a concern id stick with the PA it is a good amp too ! i installed 2x A2400DB's in my friends suv pushing 4x older hifonics 12"s and they do great !!! im a big fan of both Power Acoustik and MTX ! the PA will do about the same as the MTX at 1.5 ohm ! i use and like both Power Acoustik and MTX ! as you can see in some of my pics !
i think the 1501d's were more closer to about 1200 watts rms if i remember the Birth certicates !? i have 4x of them floating around and 2x 1004's ! both amps are good though ! but anyways id use the PA's !!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi well ya one with out moding the 1501d it wont function good at 1.5 ohm and sure cant operate either amp at 6 ohm ! so if money is a concern id stick with the PA it is a good amp too ! i installed 2x A2400DB's in my friends suv pushing 4x older hifonics 12"s and they do great !!! im a big fan of both Power Acoustik and MTX ! the PA will do about the same as the MTX at 1.5 ohm ! i use and like both Power Acoustik and MTX ! as you can see in some of my pics !
i think the 1501d's were more closer to about 1200 watts rms if i remember the Birth certicates !? i have 4x of them floating around and 2x 1004's ! both amps are good though ! but anyways id use the PA's !!!
That's why I said I'd have to mod it if I bought it :) I'd prefer to have a 1501d but trying to look at it from a finacial point of view. If all i'll notice is a little better sq i'll stick with what I have now.

1501d birthsheet:

Burn in..................Pass
Circuit Integrity......pass

2ohm 12.5 volts dc audio precision testing:

Thd+n....................1.077%
Signal to noise........106db
Maximum power.......1147rms

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's why I said I'd have to mod it if I bought it :) I'd prefer to have a 1501d but trying to look at it from a finacial point of view. If all i'll notice is a little better sq i'll stick with what I have now.

1501d birthsheet:

Burn in..................Pass
Circuit Integrity......pass

2ohm 12.5 volts dc audio precision testing:

Thd+n....................1.077%
Signal to noise........106db
Maximum power.......1147rms

I might be wrong but i think my birth sheets said
for my 1501d's
test voltage 12.5 VDC
maximum power at 0.1% THD+N 1176 wrms/ch ?

its been awhile since looked at those ! :confused:
they may all be different by a few watts ?
i do have 4x of them ! now i want to look at them !
but there buried under 20 other amps in boxes would take
a bit to move all just to open box and see ! :worried:

but think thats what the wattage was ???
the specs i know from all the different MTX amps
i got most are close specs except the wattage of course !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, the majority of the bs's i've seen have been 1100-1250rms.

ya i know they are very great amps if you can get the 1000 - 1200 rms wattage at 2ohm ! like my single 4ohm svc MTX 8000 15"s, a pair of these subs were perfect on those 1501d amps ! but in your case that PA amp would be the way to go for sure being your gonna wire 1.5 ohm, it is a good amp like i said before i just hooked 2x of them up in a friends car ! but if you dont want to spend any more money thats the way id go !

i did own a pair of the W6 18"s many yrs ago 6ohm , there ok subs just dont sound good unless you put in a small sealed enclosure !? which is odd ! I tryed them in a mid size ported i think around 6 cubes and larger at 10 cubes ! but did not impress me ! so tryed in sealed and it was the best surprisingly !?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya i know they are very great amps if you can get the 1000 - 1200 rms wattage at 2ohm ! like my single 4ohm svc MTX 8000 15"s, a pair of these subs were perfect on those 1501d amps ! but in your case that PA amp would be the way to go for sure being your gonna wire 1.5 ohm, it is a good amp like i said before i just hooked 2x of them up in a friends car ! but if you dont want to spend any more money thats the way id go !

i did own a pair of the W6 18"s many yrs ago 6ohm , there ok subs just dont sound good unless you put in a small sealed enclosure !? which is odd ! I tryed them in a mid size ported i think around 6 cubes and larger at 10 cubes ! but did not impress me ! so tryed in sealed and it was the best surprisingly !?
Ported isn't rec by jl. I'm not surprised they sounded bad based on what i've read. Mine are in a box built to spec.

We thought there was, too. :)

This was a problematic woofer in many respects. It has a huge amount of moving mass and the coil has a tendency to offset in anything but a sealed enclosure. I know many of you think we publish recommendations just to conceal the "hidden treasure" alignment, but I can assure you that the 18W6 is not a happy camper in any enclosure with a port.

Pic's of my box:

My box is done but it won't be going in till spring. 1.75 per/40x18.5x12. First box i've built since I was 16 (aka long time ago).

It fit's!

Decided not to do the double brace, pic justed mocked up.

Only part left here is waiting for the glue to dry on the lower portion so I can lay the silicone down. The new anti-gravity glue = awesome

I don't have 100% completed pics as it was officially done yesterday. Used wood filler in the screw holes, sanded the entire thing and rounded off all the edges to make the box silky smooth. Looking back I should've made it a little bigger and flush mounted the woofer/double baffle.

The box is being secured and I used odd headed screws to mount them down. It'll suck if I ever have to take them out but the added security is worth it to me.
It's done now and look's dam good. Just waiting till it get a bit warmer out to put them in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ported isn't rec by jl. I'm not surprised they sounded bad based on what i've read. Mine are in a box built to spec.

ya as i said i did finally put them in a smalled sealed box and then they sounded better ! they did a good job when i switched them from suv to my 91' 300Z ! but they sounded like 12"s in my suv !? but not bad job on box ! like the wood braces in middle i used many different braces myself from large diameter dowls and aluminum tubes ! :surprised: be suprised what does work !? :D
wait why didnt you divide them ? youll get better sound with a divide in the middle !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts