DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Polk Audio DB1040 SVC subwoofer which can handle up to 270W RMS.

I bought some spade terminals (since apparently it doesn't come with any) that only take 22-16 Gauge speaker wire.

Can I get away with using 16 gauge from the sub to the box terminals and then 12 gauge to the amplifier?

The 12 gauge wire does not fit in the damn terminal.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You could always use the 12 gauge wire and just clip off some of the strands from one side to make it fit into the terminals if you want. It would still have less resistance than 16 gauge wire. But for that short a run, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You could probably get away with using 22 gauge wire at those power levels, assuming you're not running the wire a huge distance. Maybe even 28 gauge.

People always overestimate the size requirements of speaker wire. I don't know why.

·
Registered
898 Posts
your perfect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I thought 16-Gauge was fine as well. The distance is only 1ft exactly so it should be more than enough.

Clipping the 12-Gauge is problematic since I might clip off too much and end up with less than 16-Gauge :eek:.

Crimping those spade connectors was bloody hard.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used 14 to the components and 12 to the subs.

If you goto some stereo shops they sell it by the foot. One foot of 12 gauge is only like $1 or less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts