DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When running insane watts like 16000, what all is needed? I have told my friend he will need to get a 370amp alt plus keep his stock one in his Tahoe. Two runs of 1/0 to the rear batteries. This is where he won’t listen to me. He says he only going to run two batteries 😂😂😂. I’ve told him he will need more like 6-10 and he just blows me off. What will happen if he try’s this much power on two batteries? Will it ruin the batteries draining them down too far and within seconds?

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
When running insane watts like 16000, what all is needed? I have told my friend he will need to get a 370amp alt plus keep his stock one in his Tahoe. Two runs of 1/0 to the rear batteries. This is where he won’t listen to me. He says he only going to run two batteries 😂😂😂. I’ve told him he will need more like 6-10 and he just blows me off. What will happen if he try’s this much power on two batteries? Will it ruin the batteries draining them down too far and within seconds?
My old silverado had the about the same amount of wattage. I had oem alt. 3 320 amp alts, upgraded undergood battery. 10 group 31s in the back. 6 runs to the rear bank from the front.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For this system, are you talking about peak rated power or max RMS rated power?

With a Tahoe, you should be able to run several alternators. The more the merrier, when dealing with big power, if you want to blast it full tilt for long periods. Just adding the 370A alternator would be enough to support 370 x 14.4 = 5328 , so about 4500-5000 watts at full output on class D amplifiers.

If you’re talking about 16,000 peak watts, that should be about 8,000 watts RMS. With that much I would add the 370A and replace the stock unit with a high output alternator as well.

Are the batteries you’re talking about the small gm side post kind? I’d either get Kinetiks or go Lithium. You need 2 Kinetik KHC3800’s plus a starting battery for an 8,000 watt RMS system. You’d need at least 4 of them for a 16,000watt RMS system.

I’d run at least 3 runs of 1/0AWG Wire for an 8KW RMS system and at least 5 runs of 1/0AWG wire for a 16KW RMS system.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I had no idea that was a viable way to determine load handling ability, thanks
It's a quick way to get a general idea. But you have no way of knowing exactly until it's all up and running. You could have a ton of rise and a single 370 could be fine for 10k. It just all depends. But that's a good rule of thumb way

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think when I googled 16000 watts I read your post... he hasn’t got the amps yet so not sure if it’s peak or rms. It’s the Sundown 8000 watt that’s not out yet. They make a 3000 which is out and a 5000 which is not out yet also.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
And the additional batteries will only be useful when running the system with the engine turned off. You’d be better off getting an inverter wired in to be able to plug the vehicle in at competitions or other places you might want to run with the engine off. And realize the batteries need to be charged so that is an even large on the alts not to mention the weight and cost. Carrying that much extra weight will diminish the fuel economy more along with the additional alts.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
And the additional batteries will only be useful when running the system with the engine turned off. You’d be better off getting an inverter wired in to be able to plug the vehicle in at competitions or other places you might want to run with the engine off. And realize the batteries need to be charged so that is an even large on the alts not to mention the weight and cost. Carrying that much extra weight will diminish the fuel economy more along with the additional alts.
Not true. You need a buffer between the alt and amps. The batterys are a reserve. You have to have somewhere to store the power. The more batterys I ran the more my voltage was stable.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Your friend is an idiot. Let him be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree... he is also going 3 way active in the doors and thinks he can just plug numbers into the dsp. He will end up paying someone to do everything for him and then still be clueless and won’t even be able to make changes to the sound. He is more than an idiot! It pisses me off that he thinks all of this is so simple. He has yet to even start researching how to tune or what to use to tune.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me ask a question about the kinitek batteries .... why does the kinitek group 27 say it’s only good for 2000 watts but Xs power group 27 says its good for 4500watts. There is no chance in hell those batteries are that much different or better than another. So who is lying about what their battery can handle?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I’ll start my own thread because I’m asking for my own system about batteries. Now that I have the 370amp alt going

·
Registered
229 Posts
But 6-10?
Different manufacturers have different standards of recommending amounts of batteries. I’m mostly familiar with Kinetik’s and a couple of kinds of lithium, which are sometimes rated by the wattage they can support, as are Kinetiks.

For Kinetik, they recommend using a starting battery or it’s Kinetik equivalent plus the number of watts RMS in their batteries’ numbers added together. So for the Sundown 8,000 (as it looks like we’re talking about here) you could use 2 KHC3800’s + 1 KHC1800. Or 5 KHC1800’s.

(The 3800 is an almost 100 pound 135 Amp hour AGM battery with lots of cranking amps. The 1800 is more normal sized, 75 amp hour AGM battery.). I had 2 x 3800’s and 1 x 1800 in my Rover. Took care of my voltage issues and had a nice strong engine start to boot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Let me ask a question about the kinitek batteries .... why does the kinitek group 27 say it’s only good for 2000 watts but Xs power group 27 says its good for 4500watts. There is no chance in hell those batteries are that much different or better than another. So who is lying about what their battery can handle?
I’ve always had good success using Kinetiks as rated for RMS output—The XS power may be rated for peak power. The Kinetik in that case would be rated for 4000 watts peak from a KHC2000 — Not too far off from the XS power. Also, the manufacturers may have different allowable voltage sag for their recommended use.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I've always used xs. I ran 3100's though. The. For a secondary battery it's better to get the xp series from xs. The d and s series are better suited for the oem locations

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts