DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm almost pulling the trigger to buy a Helix M 5DSP.

It is perfect with my dreamed SQ minimalistic low powered - oem integrated system.

My concerns are about the Sub output stage. The M 5DSP delivers only 160w (rms). I really want to keep that simple all-in-one solution, with no aditional amp.

Is there a Subwoofer that can play loud enough to Match the frontsrage (35w+35w 2-way active), with good extension and detail... In 160w??

·
Premium Member
GILLDON AUDIO
388 Posts
Hello.

I'm almost pulling the trigger to buy a Helix M 5DSP.

It is perfect with my dreamed SQ minimalistic low powered - oem integrated system.

My concerns are about the Sub output stage. The M 5DSP delivers only 160w (rms). I really want to keep that simple all-in-one solution, with no aditional amp.

Is there a Subwoofer that can play loud enough to Match the frontsrage (35w+35w 2-way active), with good extension and detail... In 160w??
What speakers are you using for your front stage?
What vehicle is this going in?
How much space are you willing to give up?
There are single sudwoofer divers that will work with 160watts @ 2ohms
Depending on vehicle and available space. There are options.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Reactions: ANDRESVELASCO

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Plenty of low power subs on the market. Image Dynamics ID series for instance. The key is maximizing airspace and acoustics. You don't really need gobs of power to get good sound from a sub.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Have you also considered using a vented enclosure? Will make the most use of your power especially down low.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Have you also considered using a vented enclosure? Will make the most use of your power especially down low.
The Seas (I think) do a similar 30cm to the ScanSpeak and have a matching passive radiator for it, so it may be worth a look?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
That scanspeak seems nice!

Could you model this: Pioneer TS-W1200PRO? (105db spl!)
Ported, sealed? Box size limitations? Please provide as much info as possible to I get it right.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
PHP:
Ported, sealed? Box size limitations? Please provide as much info as possible to I get it right.

Thanks
One could argue that both ported and sealed using the scanspeak 30 would be optimal... in a comparison sense.:cool:

Reactions: ANDRESVELASCO

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Scanspeak w30 sealed 1.6 cube = red
Scanspeak w30 ported 1.6 cube tuned to 25 Hz = yellow
Pioneer W1200DVC sealed 1.6 = purple
Pioneer W1200DVC ported 1.6 tuned to 30 Hz = white.

I couldnt find the exact TS specifications for a Pioneer TS-W1200PRO but did find for Pioneer TS-W1200DVC that dates back to 1998, not sure if that was the right woofer though but I modeled it anyway.

I would pick the w30 if it were me. Modeling gives you SPL potential but does not tell you about how it will sound and there is a noticeable difference between different subs from my experiences.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I still would look into an Image Dynamic ID series 10". 1.6 cubes ported is about ideal. V3D4 models are quite inexpensive, but excursion, extension, & efficiency will be great on 160 watts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm currently feeding rated power of 125 watts a piece to two ID8s, in smallish sealed enclosures, and am pleased with the output. I swear the ID line is even more efficient than advertised.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
To add to what Bayboy recommended the ID10D2v4. Not much given for specifications but here is what I got with whats given. Specs found here imagedynamicsusa | ID

Attachments

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
And with the 12" Scan vs ID10.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
One thing I don't like about BB6 is the comparison graphs don't really tell the true tale since you can't level match different driver graphs at the crossover point. It shows potential output for the same power applied to all, but not the same when actually trying to mate up with mids. WinISD does a better job in allowing you to overlay

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
One thing I don't like about BB6 is the comparison graphs don't really tell the true tale since you can't level match different driver graphs at the crossover point. It shows potential output for the same power applied to all, but not the same when actually trying to mate up with mids. WinISD does a better job in allowing you to overlay

Bayboy, here is the normalized response as defined by BBP:

Two types of amplitude response graph are provided by BassBox Pro. This topic will describe the "Normalized" Amplitude Response graph. It is "normalized" to zero dB and does not display differences in efficiency between different box types. This makes it easier to compare the shape of the response curves of different boxes. An example is shown below. Note: Amplitude response graphs are also referred to as "frequency response" or "magnitude response" graphs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts