DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mounted the JL Audio remote for the Twk-88 in the lower part of the front console.

:rolleyes:

The knob integrates well with the factory controls, but the LED is way too bright. Will be working on a solution to dull that down a bit...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you using the passive Xovers that came with the C3CX’s? If not, I highly recommend it. I had a very similar set up (XD400/4 bi-amping with signal coming from a TWK) and was not using the passives which lead to me frying one of the tweets on the right channel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Are you using the passive Xovers that came with the C3CX’s? If not, I highly recommend it. I had a very similar set up (XD400/4 bi-amping with signal coming from a TWK) and was not using the passives which lead to me frying one of the tweets on the right channel.
I'm not running the passives at all. Haven't even taken them out of the plastic! Everything is running active. I did solder capacitors into the tweeter leads as a safety precaution, however. ;) (y)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Those A Pillars are nice. Thanks for sharing the write up! Love it!
Thanks! It's funny what pictures reveal: I noticed the passenger side pillar seemed to show more of the black outline of the windshield than the driver's side, making them look not quite symmetrical. I was really meticulous in the fabrication process to make those match, so I found this a bit disturbing. On closer inspection, I found that the black windshield outline is actually about 3/4" wider on the passenger side, making it appear slightly asymmetric when it's actually not. Weird.

Happy Holidays, All! I plan on spending part of Christmas Day designing my sub enclosure...:sneaky:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Smart move, I wish I would have done the same!
Incidentally, I initially planned on running the C3CX's passive when designing the system, but because space is so limited, I ultimately decided it was more efficient to just add 2 channels of amplification. This eliminated the necessity of mounting the passive crossovers and simplified wiring a bit as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I did a similar install in a friend's 2015 Fiesta ST. He didn't believe that the OEM Ford MySync source unit would be as bad as I said it would be until I hooked up my portable Sony Walkman CD player that has a mini-Toslink optical output and fed it directly into the DSP's digital input.

We compared the same music files via both sources and he was shocked...Night & Day difference in SQ using the direct digital input. It instantly improved the tonality, clarity, separation, and focus, as well as vastly improved the soundstage & imaging.

...Just my experience. Looking forward to what else you do.
@bbfoto - you were absolutely correct on this one. After some tuning, it was pretty obvious the stock Ford Sync HU was the weak link. Fiio M11 came in last night and the SQ is shockingly better. I knew it would be a major upgrade, but it really makes the poor audio rendering of the Ford system painfully obvious. The stock VW MIB2 in my Golf R is quite a bit better, but still looking forward to firing up the M11 in there as well.

These are actually my first systems that didn’t start with a quality aftermarket head unit. Appears the modern DAP is rapidly becoming the go-to “head unit” as auto manufacturers make it nearly impossible to replace the integrated factory gear. The sound quality of the Fiio M11 is NICE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
@bbfoto - you were absolutely correct on this one. After some tuning, it was pretty obvious the stock Ford Sync HU was the weak link. Fiio M11 came in last night and the SQ is shockingly better. I knew it would be a major upgrade, but it really makes the poor audio rendering of the Ford system painfully obvious. The stock VW MIB2 in my Golf R is quite a bit better, but still looking forward to firing up the M11 in there as well.

These are actually my first systems that didn’t start with a quality aftermarket head unit. Appears the modern DAP is rapidly becoming the go-to “head unit” as auto manufacturers make it nearly impossible to replace the integrated factory gear. The sound quality of the Fiio M11 is NICE.
I've been reading a lot about DAP integration lately and will probably be going that route on whatever my next car is. I'm curious as to how you are integrating this in both cars - are you going analog outs (like I saw bertholomey did) or digital out to your DSP?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've been reading a lot about DAP integration lately and will probably be going that route on whatever my next car is. I'm curious as to how you are integrating this in both cars - are you going analog outs (like I saw bertholomey did) or digital out to your DSP?
I'm frankly not sure yet! For the Fiesta, I'm just running a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable into a pair of the analog inputs of the TWK-88. The TWK digital inputs are 1 Toslink and 1 coax, so I may try the coax digital soon, though I'm not convinced there's much to be gained from that. The Zapco DSP-Z8 IV II in the Golf R has Toslink and auxiliary analog RCA as well as Bluetooth, though I'm not sure what resolution the BT is capable of. I'll likely go analog into the Zapco as well, but may use BT when I don't feel like plugging in. This is my first go with a DAP as well, so I'll just have to experiment a bit. Frankly, although this Fiio sounds exceptional, I'd happily trade it for a double DIN Alpine that integrates with the steering wheel controls if that was an option (but it's not). I'm going to try out a steering wheel mounted BT remote for the Fiio and hopefully that will satisfy me.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts

Well, sorry that I was right. :( :p It's too bad though because the Ford Sync system is really convenient for everyday use. But I'm glad that you picked up the M11 and that it made a substantial improvement. (y)

A DAP is great with a good pair of headphones or IEMs to use as a reference for tonality and the soundstage when tuning your car systems, and just for on-the-go listening of course.

I use my iBasso DX220 & AKG N5005 IEMs a lot when tuning my car systems, especially to check the relative midbass & bass accuracy in my vehicles, but it confirms the image placement for me as well.

Hope it improves the VW system, too!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well, sorry that I was right. :( :p It's too bad though because the Ford Sync system is really convenient for everyday use.
That right there. The Apple CarPlay in Sync 3 is really slick, the USB audio interface works nicely, showing song tag info and album art with no difficulty, the screen is bright, the menus are easy to navigate and moving between CarPlay and other media sources is smooth and easy. But straight-up audio reproduction is just not good. It doesn't become apparent until you upgrade amplification and speakers, but it's bad enough that I think even the stock speaker system would benefit greatly from using a DAP.

Hopefully going to spend some time this weekend sorting out my subwoofer enclosure. I'm a bit fanatical about maintaining the car's functionality, so I didn't want to secure an enclosure that would need to be removed in order to access the spare tire. My solution is to build a new false floor, with the enclosure actually mounted to the bottom of the floor. The enclosure/sub will be relatively light at about 25 lbs., but I'll likely add a support strut to make lifting the floor easier, anyway. Will post some pics once it's suitable for public consumption...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thought I'd post a couple REW screen shots I find interesting. First up is the current tune via pink noise played through the factory CD player (old Autosound 2000 test disc ;)). This tune obviously isn't perfect, but it's reasonable given not a lot of tuning time and it sounds nice. (Still working on the sub enclosure, hence the lack of bass extension).

Next is the initial response from the Fiio M11 using the pink noise file from JL Audio, and this is with exactly the same tune as above.

I expected some differences but nothing this dramatic. I never tested the factory system to see how flat the signal was, but based on this, it's either heavily EQ'd or just crappy (my guess is both). :rolleyes:

Took a few hours to get the Fiio to this:

Again, still has some issues I'll need to work on, but I want to get the sub enclosure finished before I spend more time on tuning. Progress pics to follow...😊

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sub enclosure that will initially hold a Dayton LS10-44, though I constructed it to also accommodate a JL Audio 10TW3 should I decide to upgrade.

Pencil marking is to approximate the hatch floor cut-out. Top of the enclosure will be covered in black vinyl.
The enclosure will mount to the bottom of the hatch floor so it can be raised easily to access the spare if necessary.

The enclosure is 19" x 14". The hatch area in the Fiesta is rather small...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sub enclosure that will initially hold a Dayton LS10-44, though I constructed it to also accommodate a JL Audio 10TW3 should I decide to upgrade.

Pencil marking is to approximate the hatch floor cut-out. Top of the enclosure will be covered in black vinyl.
The enclosure will mount to the bottom of the hatch floor so it can be raised easily to access the spare if necessary.

View attachment 260479

The enclosure is 19" x 14". The hatch area in the Fiesta is rather small...
Nice work man!
That’s the same front stage i had on my last vehicle
I have a set of c3cx that have yet to be installed nor have I actually heard them yet. How are you both liking them?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts