DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
First pillar wrapped in vinyl. LOT of stretching to get this to work. The heat gun is your friend...

Old pillar vs. new pillar:

Passenger a-pillar installed:

Driver's side a-pillar:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Driver's side pillar from the driving position:

My grill work turned out cleaner this time as well:

The new pillars are a noticeable step up in fit-and-finish from the first version, and the vinyl integrates into the interior much better than the grill cloth.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Impressive, professional level work. The pillars integrate very nicely.
Did you have to play with the tuning to compensate for the angle change?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Impressive, professional level work. The pillars integrate very nicely.
Did you have to play with the tuning to compensate for the angle change?
Thanks for the compliments! Much appreciated.

Definitely needs re-tuning! I frankly was surprised at not only the amount of adjustment required, but the nature of the changes in frequency response. I've only had time enough to adjust the existing tune to smooth things out, but I'll probably do a full re-tune. I actually think the frequency response is smoother in the more off-axis aiming. I'll try to confirm that theory with some raw measurements this weekend.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I actually think the frequency response is smoother in the more off-axis aiming. I'll try to confirm that theory with some raw measurements this weekend.
OK, I stand corrected on this impression. Measurements showed almost identical pre-EQ frequency response between the previous a-pillars and the new ones (with exception of a 2.5khz spike on the left mid, which I attribute to reflection off the factory monitor "hump"). Really surprised at this considering the significant change in speaker angles. The first version had the speakers aimed directly between the front seats at head height, while the new ones are aimed at the center of each side window. Pretty interesting the off-axis response would be so similar. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow, that vinyl work turned out great! I’m gonna do a little vinyl wrap on the front of a fiberglass sub box this weekend. Got my heat gun handy! Which adhesive did you use?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Wow, that vinyl work turned out great! I’m gonna do a little vinyl wrap on the front of a fiberglass sub box this weekend. Got my heat gun handy! Which adhesive did you use?
Thanks! I used DAP Weldwood Landau Top and Trim. Really indispensable for this type of upholstery work. The 2 game-changers for me on the vinyl upholstery were learning to be way more liberal with heating the material to achieve the necessary stretching, and buying a gravity-feed sprayer to apply the adhesive. 😊 (y)

61 - 73 of 73 Posts