DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a diesel truck and am pretty sure it has come down to 2017< GMC/Chevy 2500/3500HD.
Obviously diesels and trucks are not ideal for engine, NVH noise etc. while running but I need one and it's getting a custom system.

I love the high end trim levels like Denali, High Country, LTZ for most features except that most come with the Bose systems. I really like the interior, especially the heated/cooled seats, technology, etc. but don't want to have to jump through extra hoops to install a good system in a high trim level vs medium trim.

The Bose in my Infiniti has the typical issues that would make me want to replace it, but it was doable and I'm guessing it's probably the same in the GM's. While not impossible to work around I'm wondering whether it might be easier to build a lower model truck for audio.

Are they any major "deal breaker" issues that I may not be aware of with the GM Bose systems, or can I mostly just use my AudioControl DSP, 3-way components, subs etc. with some basic fabrication?

Does anyone know whether the Denali, High Country, LTZ etc.models have more factory sound deadening than the more base models? I already have some of RAAMmat, but just wondering if it will be more helpful or a waste and a hassle to start with a high end GM trim level.

Any experience with these GMs is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 2016 gmc slt with bose and 3 10" jl shallow in custom box underseat , and it gets loud and and its pretty clean , everybody cant believe its stock speakers in door,

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2016 gmc slt with bose and 3 10" jl shallow in custom box underseat , and it gets loud and and its pretty clean , everybody cant believe its stock speakers in door,

Thanks for the response. How's the factory sound deadening? Did you add any? The stock door speaker wells are not particularly wide surface area but look very deep for the mid components.

I have a complete system I was going to install in my Infiniti but now I am selling that car to accommodate the diesel truck. What did you do to power the subs and mitigate the Bose bass roll-off?

From a planned but never installed system I have:

Focal Flax 3 way components. I would probably fabricate custom tweeter pods for the dash.
Old school Xtant Hex amps I want to install behind the rear seats
Audio Control 8 DSP
Image Dynamics IDMax 12" Sub. It's not a shallow mount sub so not sure if it will work under the rear seats. Might need to use shallow like you.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I have a turbo diesel mitsubishi challenger 4WD station wagon. Low range gear box. Goes anywhere. Gutted and full dynamat and dynaliner job for heat and noise. Not cheap but awesome. Now its like a luxury sedan. It can be done. Plus its the basis of an awesome stealth install.

As for bose if you don't like it change it. I'm sure there's aftermarket integrated solutions. Sell the bose gear on ebay. Cheers sam

photos.google.com

Sam's Challenger
70 new photos added to shared album
photos.google.com
photos.google.com

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also have GB 6X9 AUDIO DYNAMICS TWEETER, AND 2 1/2 S FOR FRONT ARC AUDIO 1200.6, AUDIO CONTROL DM810 NAV TV I have not installed, so all is stock ,just subwoofer upgrade powering it is a addictive audio 1500rms amplifier I had laying around from a old build turned down

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
If the critter features you want in the truck are offered in the higher trim levels get that . Adding those features will be far more money after the fact. Your going to be using a zen piece of a amp pro gm 61 for your oem integration with the zen being the better option. (Check compatibility before hand)

depending on what you plan on doing with the truck itself for mods (engine tunes, turbo back exhausts) new modern diesels are fairly quiet. Add exhaust and some knobby tires to any gas/diesel truck isn’t going to be ideal for noise regardless of your putting in good equipment and plan on having the vehicle for a good few years spend the money on deadening. Resonix is highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
In my personal opinion you may want to avoid BOSE unless you are going to keep their amp. Modern systems use a high data rate vehicle wide network called MOST. In order to replace the BOSE amp you'll also need a $600 MOST adapter to grab your audio signal. Factory speaker locations and sound deadening will be the same between base systems and BOSE systems. But, with BOSE you'll get a lot more useless speakers populated. Take a look through my Porsche's build thread if you have any questions...

Ge0

Reactions: hokiruu

·
Registered
307 Posts
I actually recommend getting the BOSE system - the most used aftermarket interface to the truck is the NAV-TV GM-Most50, and last I checked this is only compatible with the BOSE system. I can't remember other details but my impression is that if you want to retain the stock H/u then its best to get the BOSE system. That's what I have in my 2015 GMC, and I pluge in the NAV-TV (not cheap at $600) and get a pure digital signal to the DSP. Its a nice piece of kit. If you're not planning on using a DSP the NAV-TV also has 6 analog output channels although EQ an dX-over is up to you then.

Bottom line I would prefer to get the BOSE than not, I think it leaves more options on the table. These are very nice trucks you will be happy with the Duramax.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2020 non Bose sierra and am still picking out parts for it. I can say the non bose system seems to be easier to replace than the bose system in my model year, it can be done either way but the non bose seems cheaper to convert. I was more concerned with the other options i desired on my truck than the type of stereo as i was likely to replace the speakers either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts