DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't really know where to start but here it goes.

1966 bug

sub stage:
2 jbl gto 8's
1.22 cu.ft. vented to 35hz

front stage:
digital designs CS6.5 components
in what will be modified Retro Sound abs kicks

amps & processors:
sub - punch 200ix dsm
components - punch 4020 dsm
signal - audio control 4xs with new crossover modules

will be ditching the DD crossovers for the components. not that they are bad just he has a nice staggered amp and i figure with the 4xs why not go active with this thing. was thinking of running the 8's up as high as 120hz. then bringing in the 6.5's at 100hz. i have not fully decided on where to crossover the mids and the subs. so i'm open to suggestions. i know the tweets will come on at 4k like the DD crossovers come stock. no reason to play with that in my opinion.

i am building this entire system with out the car! purely off double check measurements the customer has given me. so once done i will be shipping all the product to him for final install. however i for see myself making a road trip to finish it up for him. not that he is incapable just i think he will want me to finish what i started.

the kicks will be modified to add the tweeter location. i will then cover them in black carpet and deaden the hell out of the back side.

his car has after market rear seats that fold down and have a latch on the top in the middle that is part of a custom rear deck lid. the deck lid has a tubular frame which will receive an expanded metal layer instead of the 1/4" plywood that currently in place. then recovered with black carpet. this allows everything to be hidden yet breath ear pleasuring sound threw the cabin.

as for the amp rack. they will be mounted on the front of the box less their end caps. he has unfortunately lost 3 of them over the years. i have not fully decided if i'm going to super neatly wire everything and put a plexiglass flush cover on it or if i want to just carpet a piece of wood and flush everything in. i feel a neat wiring job and plexi would make it seem like a giant amp. dunno yet but the carpeted piece is always a nice clean fail safe.

so here are a few pictures thus far.

oh if anyone has a nice sketch up program i would like to speak with you.

NEUMAN

Attachments

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Some old school Rockford....nice

I owned a few bugs back in the day and always hated the brakes, but overall they were easy to work on

Good luck with your build

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Sweet man! I'm glad you decided to do a thread on this!

You shouldn't have a hard time finding the "Rockford Fosgate" badged end caps for these. Let me know if you want to track some down and I'm sure we could find some. I believe I even have a 4020dsm badge somewhere if you want to display the amps seperately. I'll have to do some digging.

Keep us updated! Good work!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
should be ordering the second sub, components, & kicks tonight.

trojan fan - he already has upgrades to front disc....win! also has the after market heater system under the rear seat.

sinister-kustoms - thanks for sub'n. hope i don't disappoint.

shawnk - im sure he has his end caps but just no where he remembers. but i will tell him the offer stands from someone if needs them.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
received a payment from the bug owner today. which means one thing......shopping spree! second jbl 8 purchased, dd components will be tomorrow, waiting for audio control to contact me about the modules, & kicks are on order.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
little update. got the second sub the end of last week. i also got the abs kick panels i plan to modify and then deaden heavily with damplifier pro. shipped the 4xs off to audio control to have it looked over and new modules installed for all the crossover points i wanted.

i went with
subs 20-120
mids 100-4000
tweets 4000-up

i went with the blended crossover point on the sub/mid due to the digital design components are go down to around 110/120. if the deck my customer picks out allows me to tune to 110 i will. otherwise i have i can make it 120.

i started test fitting the amps on the rack area. figuring out how to run the nest of wire i need to will be fun.......not! there is just enough space around things to make it happen i feel. luckily its all small gauge (no larger the 4ga) wiring.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
audio control called today said the 4xs will be shipping back to me on monday. all switched out with new modules. yeah buddy! just need to get these kicks done....have yet to start. lol

NEUMAN

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got the kicks built today and plotted out the amp rack with all the limited space i have. here are some kick pics. due to the over all flimsiness of the abs plastic kicks i had to get innovative. once i had the sweet cardboard cones built i hit the abs with a dremal grinder bit and then cleaned the surface. then sipped the cardboard with a razor blade really good. soaked it with a good bath of resin then applied the outer layering of mat. once cured i removed the inner abs that was not really needed anymore and did the outside process again. the front will get some bondo work and sanding before carpeted and the back deadened with some second skin.

NEUMAN

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Prolly the very first build/help I was ever involved with was like in 1985-86 was on a Super Beetle. My buddies parents didn't want him to have a "loud" radio so they wouldn't spring for the wood to build the sub enclosure. As teens, we improvised and used 5gal pickle bucket under each Pyle Driver 10. Back then Pyle wasn't all that bad.

BUT man, that thing was surprisingly loud pretty good deep bass. With a proper enclosure and these good products your car should freaking ROCK! IMHO prolly one of the best cars ever made for SQ or DB due to the shape of the roof. They also sound fantastic with a very minimal amount of speakers.

OH I'M DEF IN ON THIS ONE!!!! oh the memories
SCOTT

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fly i wish this was my car. its going to sound great. only down side is i can't scope tune or gain set this guys stuff. so im hoping that before its finished or before i ship him the stuff he can drive the 200 miles to me with his car. LOL

NEUMAN

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
My first car (which had my first decent system in it) was a 1970 Bug.
I remember the good old days when Jensen and Pyle were actually decent.
I always hate building things w/o the car there, because inevitably something is just a little bit off...

Hope it works out and in for finished pics.

Jay

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup! something never fits "just right" however the customer gave me all the meassurements for behind the seat. so i subtracted 1/2" from them all. with the kicks they started out with an aftermarket abs unit so i know the platform is correct. my only worry is the tweeter end of my plate may stick out a little. the only thing i couldn't fit on the box/amp rack was the power dist block. which i think i will rig up a battery mount plate for that and he can just run separate 8ga runs to the amps and 16ga to the 4xs. i will supply him with all the wire just he can cut it to length.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
got the pods finished today. scuffed them out. laid a layer of kitty hair bondo smoothed out the major voids then a layer of regular bondo and sanded out again. good for a carpet covering. the back side of both pods are covered in a layer of damplifier pro. i didn't cover the tweeter pocket. its pretty stiff and dense. i may go back and do it however.
also cut out the amp flush trim. debating cutting the N/A logo still i used one of my decals as a template but is seems really small. where its locates is just above the 4xs dials and led.
just need to order carpet on monday and his components. once the carpet shows up i should be all wrapped up (literally as well as figuratively) next weekend.

NEUMAN

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i finally got to wrapping stuff today. kick panels are done and look great. box is wrapped. subs installed. amps wired up. just need to get the rca's here and wrap the flush trim. pictures are uploading so i will post here shortly.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
300 Posts
Flat pack install what will you think of next. Love the car my first gf had one of those we did more than kick the panels :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts