DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, long time member here getting back into audio. I'm in the process of a rebuild for my "REPU" and I figured you might want to follow the progress. The next few posts will be a little catching up, and in a month or so you'll start seeing some audio gear go in. Until then, enjoy the process...

First off, the truck...

Before taking things apart, I got a quick dyno run to see where it stands. It has a few modifications from stock such as a 2.5" exhaust and racing beat header. I'll be installing a ton of performance parts over the next few months.

Although I love the exterior color, the carpet is a bit much so I'm replacing it with new black carpet and swapping the bench seat for buckets. I'll be installing a few more speakers (since it just has one in the dash), amps, probably a MiniDSP, and upgrading the motor to fuel injection, and replacing the entire wiring harness along the way.

And now for some tear down...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some test fitting of bucket seats from a Miata, with a bonus surprise hidden inside. Not sure what frequencies I need to run the "thumper" but be assured I will hook them up and squeeze whatever I can out of them. I have new upholstery to install on the seats too, so they won't be brown.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wiring harness kit from American Auto Wire has almost everything I need to throw out the old wiring.

Previously, the entire truck was powered with this lovely fuse box sitting in the engine bay of the truck where it could easily get wet.

This gives you an idea of the condition of the harness. This was the old emissions box (right) and 50 amp master fuse (left). The thickest wire was about 14 gauge, maybe 12, hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New bulkhead connector. Did I mention I'm doing a wire tuck? All the engine harness wiring will come through this connector in the center right above the motor. All the wiring for the front of the truck is going to be routed through the right quarter panel.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That dash is in amazing condition! Damn.... clean example
Yes, the previous owner had a number of trucks and chose the best of everything when putting this one together. I've had the truck 5 years and have done a little restoration of things here and there. When I got the truck the dash was complete but nothing was connected. I had to go through everything and rewire a bunch of stuff...and now I'm doing it again LOL!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And now for something you audio gurus will recognize. Full layer of RaamMat completed last night. I've also got the holes drilled and tapped for the bucket seats but two of them are inaccessible from underneath due to the exhaust shield...so I have some work to do before I can mount the seats.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Worked on trimming the carpet tonight. I think I'll cover the new firewall board in carpet too.

I also spent some time pulling the wiring harness for the rear of the truck but I got stuck at the fuel pump. Since I have a new pump and filter going in I will have to have a few friends come over and pop the bed off the truck so we can access everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some work on the wiring harness this week.

Ignition switch and steering column all terminated.

Tail light module for a trailer will serve as relay for brakes and turn signals. Easy to replace if it fails because I added quick release terminals. This particular model has a separate 12v power supply so I won't have high current running through steering column switch.

Additional bank of relays for low/high wipers and low/high headlights. This along with the trailer module should tuck up under the gauge cluster out of sight.

Took me a while to translate the OEM wiper relay box into a dual SPDT format I could understand.

The OEM harness had full power for headlights going through the steering column so I'm going to intercept those feeds and power the lights from a higher gauge cable.

I also added some RAAMatt BXT to the transmission hump and rear of the cab. I ordered the wrong carpet so finishing it off didn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 59 Posts