DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spot is to show my future build on my 1976 Buick Regal.

This car was owned by my Grandmother but over the years tragedy struck our family.
First- My Aunt Cindy was killed in a hit and run Motorcycle accident by a drunk driver.
Second- My uncle was a Marine killed in the 1983 Beirut barracks bombings.

Last- My Granny died way too early from Leukemia.

So this build is a tribute to my family members that past. I have two of these cars. The one owned by my Granny has been passed through 5 households since her death. I have had control of the car since about 2005 and have dreamed of getting it going and back to its glory since then.

After a few years outside my home, the city made me move it since it was not registered. It sat outside where rust set in from the years of being outside. After a couple years at by bro-in laws, I brought it home to my garage again. It sat in there until 2011 when I bought another home.

I got it running and started driving it to my house when the tranny went out. I had to drive backwards about 1.5 miles and right into my garage backwards. After a few years, I had to move it outside to allow me to use my garage.

So fast forward to my birthday on 4-20-17. I finally found one that was for sale and went to indiana to see it. It ran, the body was good and the price was right. The interior is the wrong color and it has a column shifter instead of the floor shifter.
Sooooooooooo......

On My passed aunt's birthday, 4-22-17 I purchased the car and my pops helped me tow it home.:D

I plan to switch the interior and shifter from Granny's car and drive the new one while I restore the body of the old car and make it badass. Eventually I will have two badass 76 Regals!

So here goes the car and stay tuned!!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the plan is to utilize my old slash amps which consist of three-300/2's and one- 1000/1.

I would like to gather another set of GB25's and possibly the GB10 tweets but I am open on the tweets.

I really would love to run another set of zr800's in the kicks and then use my spare 13w7 for sub duty until I can get another W15gti mkII or two:D.

For the head unit, I might as well run my old alpine IVAD310 with the processor until can afford another Helix processor (or mosconi) and then maybe by then I will do up a custom head unit pod under the dash for a double din or something. The guy that owned the new car before me cut the dash to install a clarion tape deck in place of the old dual knob. I will probably tig weld metal back into place and restore it back to original.

The car will be receiving full Airride suspension and eventually I will get around to doing another new paintjob. The car was recently repainted but the bodywork is not so good at all and I would like to make it perfect.

Reactions: dowheelies

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to follow this build because I used to have a '77 Cutlass in high school which is basically the same car as yours except the front grill is different. I loved that car and wish I never sold it.
Yeah, I will probably have to use Cutty parts in order to restore Granny's Buick. I thought that parts would be readily available being a regal but apparently there is no love for the 76-77 year models. You can find damn near any part you want for a 78 plus Regal and a grand national:(

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Life changed a bit. Got promoted and have less time. Im gonna get back to this but time is not as plentiful. Go figure. Over 25k raise but much less time.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Isn’t that always the case, more money means less time. In for the build as it’s a beautiful looking car.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Took a big step on this car and a couple smaller steps.

1. BIG!-I found a motor and trans from a 2010 express van 3500hd with 109k miles and removed it from the back of the truck last night. I will be swapping the L96 (6 liter LS) motor and 6l90e tranny (Big MOFO) into the Buick with a cam swap, headers and some other parts to freshen it up. The car has about 140 hp at the engine from the factory with the 350 buick in it now. The new motor and tranny will turn it into a rocket! I should have about 440hp at the wheel! Yeah, Im going to have roughly 3 1/2 times the power and torque. Then going from a 3 speed to a 6 speed is going to do even more to make it a beast!

2. Small- I bought a set of GB25's mids and had a 2nd set of JL ZR800-Cw midbass waiting in boxes in the basement. Dont forget I also have a pair if JBL W15GTIMKII subs waiting too. The Amps as of now will be my three JL slash 300/2's and my slash 1000/1 (likely to change). If needed I will go with 1 ported W15GTIMKII but that is unlikely.

So the remaining equipment left to get is --
Processor-Helix
Headunit-Undecided
Tweeters- AF GB10 or GB15
Amps- probably change to JL hd amps or small footprint amps

As this is coming together, I am envisioning running the 15's in sealed configuration with a custom back seat that will allow the sub bass to enter the cabin but sealed off from the trunk. I want nothing to do with the WANG WANG WANG rattle these old cars are known to have. I have KNU Kollossus deadener and a bunch of MLV sitting in the basement. I wish I could do IB but again the rattle is unacceptable. The enclosure will probably bolt solid to the back seat and rear deck with the factory 6X9's removed. I will weld up a prefect fitting metal frame to attach the enclosure with a nice rubber seal to eliminate any bass from entering the trunk area.

The ZR800's are going i a sealed enclosure that will span the entire door which is almost 4 feet long. it will be approx 46" X 9" X 3.5" which is a little larger than the recommended sealed enclosure. If I do not like it, I will just drill a hole into the rear of the enclosure to vent it into the door. There is a large opening in the factory door metal that will allow that to happen. I will probably build an MDF enclosure to fit the space and then use it as a mold for a fiberglass enclosure. There is a possibility that I may form aluminum enclosures using my metal shaping and welding talents too. That would be cool. 1/16" deadened aluminum to eliminate any ringing.

The GB25's will either go in the kicks or in custom pillars with the tweets. Same thing here, I love shaping aluminum so I may go with that instead of fiberglass.

Head unit will likely be a double din Kenwood again due to the fact that they are a great value and good performance and features. Not sure on this one though. I may just go with a simple single din like I had back in the old days. My phone can serve as the entertainment.

Amps will be slash amps that I previously ran. They are just sitting in a climate controlled basement not being used. I figure I can wrap them in vinyl like my HD amps in my Jeep and run them until they quit on me. No sense in not using the 1900 watts sitting on my wall. Once they die, I will replace them with HD amps or something small format from JL. I am a fan of their lines of amps so no reason to change it up.

Alternator- Mechman 370 probably.I am going to upgrade the alternator on the L96 to something bigger to handle the stereo or I may incorporate a second alternator and battery solely for the stereo setup. I will be moving the batteries to the trunk to reduce the weight on the front end of the car since the new Iron block 6 liter and trans will weigh about 180 pounds more than the old stuff. I will look for anything else that can be moved too in order to mitigate the impact of that added 180 pounds.

Deadening- KNU Kolossus everywhere, MLV whole floor and CCF in the needed areas. By going sealed for the door drivers, I will not need quite as much deadening on the outer door skins. I am definitely not afraid to do 100% coverage with all my deadening though!

Wiring- 0/1 KNU Kolossus, Custom made RCA's

Wheels- hopefully I can afford to do these in a 20 front and rear but will run factory gear until I have the bread.

Brakes- Disk conversion in the rear and big brakes once I have the bigger wheels.

Paint- almost decided but product will be SPI epoxy primer, Rage gold filler and maybe SPI products base/clear.

Interior- Almost decided- Doors will be factory 76 Buick red, but changing up the seats from white vinyl to likely black leather. Carpets will also change to ether black or red. I will be doing all the upholstery with my industrial machine. I am definitely going fancy with this though!

Suspension- Air! Definitely doing airride. I have most of the components but will need the actual bags. 2600lb springs in front and likely 2500lb springs in the rear. drop spindles and nice adjustable shocks. I will do all the work myself since I have all the tools necessary. I will probablu not be using the fancy load leveling stuff. Im going regular old SMC valves and reducing fittings to adjust the speed. My custom Chopper has Accuair valves and they are nice but very pricey. Maybe one day I will change it out but for now, the old school brass valves will do. I already have multiple air tanks. I will clean and seal the insides with Caswell gas tank sealer to eliminate any rust issues.

That is all for now. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, thinking out loud here. I have over 13 inch x 46 inch x like 4 inches easy that I was going to put the zr800s in the front door. But...maybe just maybe?.?? Holy crap that would work!

Maybe I should put a SI BM mkv in each door sealed! Seriously, that could and would work. Im not a fan of seeing speakers so I could build a door panel that looks like nothing is there then WHAMMO! You get hit with superb up front bass! The ring in the photo is an 8 inch ring from the zr800. As you can see, theres plenty of height. The BM mkv specs show a Small sealed enclosure size of 0.65 to 0.75 ft^ so I have more than enough space. It would make for a no rear sub install! This changes EVERYTHING! I could pair them with GB40s and GB10s. I wonder .......
Vehicle door Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

In Engine news for the day, I have remove all accessories and removed the tranny for the 6.0 LS. Time for a cam to get more ponies!

Motor vehicle Engine Vehicle Auto part Scrap

Vehicle Auto part Soil

Engine Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great progress this weekend. Motor is in although it will be coming out once more.
Hood I am sure will fit based on the amount of clearance at this point.

Attachments

Reactions: Coppertone

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like that motor fit in there pretty good. Oil pan cleared the crossmember and all. Plenty of room for headers. Mount the trans in too?
Trans is not in because it is a 6l90E and I am almost certain that the tunnel will need to be cut. The motor fit but I want to shift it over toward the drivers side a little more. I was hoping to not have to modify the drive shaft but that looks unlikely now.

Holley's swap oil pan and the Hooker LS swap exhaust manifolds are a God send. The fit soo well.

I am getting excited to hopefully have this sucker running soon. I would love to be running this month. Work and family commitments are definitely slowing m down though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nothing against the LS6, but that Buick/Olds 350 could have really been built up. You can build those engines to 450-500hp and still be sunday drive-able. But that is just me, I like to keep things with the original stuff as much as possible when doing this kind of stuff.

Other then that good luck and those LS6s are also a nice engine when done right!

·
Registered
348 Posts
You don't lose drivability with doing that much HP not if you do it right. I've done it in the past on a couple engines. I know of several people that have done it. Not going to turn this into an argument on the OP's post about his Regal, wouldn't be fair or right. We all have our own opinions on this subject, it is one I've disagreed with even with friends. Can be a hot topic in the car world.

Once again to each their own, the LS6 engine is nice if people do it right. Some people just pull a LS6 out of w/e they can and half rig it, then they get pissed when it don't work like it should.

OP is not that guy. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah I shouldn't have posted that. The buick and olds make for great platforms as well, and now a days even a small block Chevy is unique since the LS has found it's way into every crack lol.
Apologies

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nothing against the LS6, but that Buick/Olds 350 could have really been built up. You can build those engines to 450-500hp and still be sunday drive-able. But that is just me, I like to keep things with the original stuff as much as possible when doing this kind of stuff.

Other then that good luck and those LS6s are also a nice engine when done right!
First, it is an L96 which is an iron block 6 liter that is very popular for boosted applications (hint) due to how durable it is. It is used in heavy duty truck and van applications and the gen 3 version is known as an Ly6. It has the same high flow heads as an LS3 and large bore throttle body. The L96 has E85 injectors from the factory which is popular for race applications. The 6l90E tranny is not as popular due to its large size and weight but is a stronger and more stout wersion of the 6l80e offered in a Cadillac CTSv and i believe the pontiac G8. My previous car was a G8GT and I liked the smoothness of that tranny. The 6l90e has the same electronics but with beefed up mechanicals that a heavy duty hauler needs.

I fought that battle but in the end, it costs way more to get those numbers from a 140 factory hp buick 350 than it does for a run of the mill 6.0 LS iron block. Now factor in the efficiency of fuel injection vs the carbs.

I was not an "LS swap the world" fan until recently. I consider myself a "restomod for life" guy now.

There is no denying that hopping in a fuel injected vehicle and driving where ever and whenever with decent MPG's will beat pumping the gas and doing a specific sequence to keep it running for like 3 min until it warms up. Then praying that it gets you from A to B without dying on you all while drinking a weeks paycheck in the process.

Btw, go fast goodies for a buick 350 are far more expensive and less available than a chevy small block 350. This swap was a no brainer to be honest and I have no regrets at all.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ls6 can make the same without loosing drivability and knock a good 150lbs off
Unfortunately the Buick 350 (450lb) weighs 100 pounds less than a chevy 350 (which is good) but that means the iron 6.0 (550 lbs) weighs more than the factory motor. This is not an issue because I am moving the battery (35lb) to the trunk and severely lightening the 88lb bumper if not getting rid of it all together. :eek:

The car will no doubt be faster and fun to drive though since a factory 6.0 is already more than double the power of that old Small block Buick. After it is running, I am swapping the cam too... yeah so there's that too..

Driveability I do not suspect will be an issue. Others that have done this exact same motor/trans combo have been overjoyed!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't lose drivability with doing that much HP not if you do it right. I've done it in the past on a couple engines. I know of several people that have done it. Not going to turn this into an argument on the OP's post about his Regal, wouldn't be fair or right. We all have our own opinions on this subject, it is one I've disagreed with even with friends. Can be a hot topic in the car world.

Once again to each their own, the LS6 engine is nice if people do it right. Some people just pull a LS6 out of w/e they can and half rig it, then they get pissed when it don't work like it should.

OP is not that guy. Good luck with it!
Correct. I am not that guy. This aint no stinking run of the mill junkyard swap. Im actually building a daily driver out of a classic vehicle that I love.

As far as opinions, my response is the only one that matters is the one listed on the debit card. My car, my cash so anyone that does not have a dime invested can kick rocks. I will gladly sink a built Buick 455 into my other Regal if you want to send me one. Lol!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I shouldn't have posted that. The buick and olds make for great platforms as well, and now a days even a small block Chevy is unique since the LS has found it's way into every crack lol.
Apologies
Buick 350 vs LS
Atari vs Ps5
Beeper vs smartphone
Musket vs Barret 50 cal
.......just sayin!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Adding the proof. starting with a whopping 140hp for the 1976/77 model https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gs350-buick-455s-little-brother-deserves-due/
From the only company manufacturing heads for the Buick 350 for $2800 assembled
TA’s 350 Stage 1 Street Eliminator (SE) series heads are the largest advancement in 350 Buick performance to date. The Buick 350 is a stout and capable engine featuring a strong skirted block compared to the 455 with it’s thin wall casting and poorly supported crankshaft. Until now, the biggest thing hampering the 350’s performance potential has been the factory iron heads.
Extensive (and expensive) porting is required on iron heads to make more than 400HP, and it’s difficult to find a head porter that can get good numbers out of the head. Out of the box, our 350 aluminum heads flow comparable to an average ported iron head, with room for improvement with additional porting. On most engines, out of the box performance will be 30+ HP.

Now remember, I could have purchased the low mile LS motor for about $1800 and used the factory tranny. From the factory the L96 is 385 HP with 380ftlb of torque. I will be cam swapping for an additional 71 hp for about $500 including the VVT delete (well proven). New Cam Adds 71 HP To Stock 6.0L LS With No Low-End Loss!

So as you can see, the swap makes sense and the Buick 350 cannot compete. Maybe a Buick 455 swap would be a more fair comparison but still more costly than the LS and you are still left with the poor oiling system design and a major gas guzzler with the same carb issues.

No brainer

1 - 20 of 485 Posts