DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
261 - 280 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
It is time for a pause. I am going to take a little break from the car to attend to some family matters. Specifically, a death in the family. My cousin played the Covid game and lost. Without getting into the politics of it all, he should have gotten the vax. Now his 3 children will go without a father. We are very sad but this was predictable and preventable. We will be travelling to attend his services.

Second reason for the pause is to stack up more cash to do more mods. I have been aggressively paying off some stuff and I now will have to let the bank account rebound a little. I will be hitting it hard once I get back into it though. Trust me, This will not be one of those pauses where the build goes dead forever...OH no. That is not my style. I have plenty of supplies to allow me to work on stuff while I am building the funds back up. I am just gonna lift off the throttle for a couple weeks.

The great news is that I have now paid off one of my vehicles and that means more $$$ for mods!!

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Sorry for your loss, and I pray that you will all get through this.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Sorry for your loss, and I pray that you will all get through this.
Thank you. The 3 highschool/junior highschool kids will need the prayers that is for sure.

Reactions: Coppertone

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 · (Edited)
A minor but major item was accomplished yesterday. I was cleaning my garage a little since it is a mess when I had to move the old axle to side of the house bone yard and out of the view of my wife. I passed my other 1976 Regal and saw the white seat that I was never able to get out of the car due to rusted bolts. I realized that I had bought a battery powered beast of a impact gun that is simply amazing at whacking bolts off or breaking them if they do not want to budge. So I hooked my battery pack up the the car to move the electric seats for access and proceeded in whacking 3 of the fasteners off and stripping one bolt head from improper tool alignment. That nut was then knocked off with a grinder.

YAY!!! finally I will be able to install the nicer bucket white seat in the drivers spot. Then the rain started to pour and I was not able to get to the passenger side. It should go the same way though. The seats have busted seams but are in way better condition than the ugly tan split bench seat.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Armrest Personal luxury car

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Ok. A little minor progress happened.

First, I mounted up the white seat in the car and it is super comfy. I just wanted to drive it again.

Second, I installed a grommet in the big open hole in the firewall and then used duct seal to completely plug the hole from hot air escaping into the cabin. There was a little change but not nearly enough.

Third. I ordered my lizard skin sound control, ceramic and the spray gun for it. Theres a crapload of heat coming from the floor and I have to reduce the temp alot by whatever means before any of my family can ride in there. The lizardskin products have great reviews so I am optimistic. I would like to get the interior comfortable before putting in the carpet.

Eventually I plan to take the entire 304 stainless exhausf out and ceramic coat it. That should reduce even more heat. The headers are already ceracoated and it is holding up extremely well.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Got some stuff done.
I removed the factory console from Granny's Regal to begin prepping for install into the working Regal. This floor shifter is one of the most stand out features of the car and therefore just HAS to go into the car. It is an old horseshoe shifter.

I also received the lizardskin ceramic. I thought I was ordering white but apparently ordered black. No worries though. It is paintable.

I may spray the sound deadener tomorrow if it comes in early enough. It has to cure for 24 hours before spraying the ceramic. Since it is really humid I will probably go for 48 hours though.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Car Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper
Brown Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper
Liquid Drinkware Coffee cup sleeve Product Fluid

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
OH NO!!! It is happening again!
My brain is on overload due to a Eureka moment. This one involves Car Audio matters and is now occupying my brain with all the possibilities. Let me explain.

My absolute favorite subwoofer of all time is the JBL W15GTImkii and I have 5 of them. Two are in my SRT Jeep and 3 have been lurking in my basement.
So I have been struggling to figure out how exactly I will be able to install the sub or subs in the Regal without the dreaded "WANG< WANG< WANG" trunk rattle that I hear so many older cars driving around. I think it sounds terrible. I like Crystal clear sound quality type audio but at higher levels (SQL). So the only option was to totally isolate the front wave of the sub from ever reaching the trunk. That would be easy if this was a modern car with flip down seats. Not so much with this old gal. Not only do I have only about 12inches in height at the rear seat in the trunk, but realistically, it is only 9 inches due to one of the rear seat hangers. So for a long time I have contemplated how the hell I am going to fit the sub in there and accomplish my goal.

EUREKA!!

I was playing around with a 15 inch cutout that I had laying around and decided to put it in the back to see where I can fit the sub and realized that....Ummm Hello, I am a metal shaper, and DUH, I am doing the upholstery custom anyway. So what I am thinking is that I am going to break out the old welder and cutting tools to do one more modification to the metal on this thing. Some of the inspiration for the idea comes from the cutouts for emblems in some 60's cars like the 64 Impala photo attached. The only difference is that I will hide the sub behind a grill that will be built into the back seat or some kind of rear seat console like many hotrod guys do these days.

So plainly put- I am most likely going to be cutting a big old honking hole in the rear seat metal, metal shaping new metal to weld back in with reinforcement and installing a wicked 15 inch sound quality subwoofer in either sealed or ported configuration with no trunk rattle. Use your imagination to understand where I am going here. For anyone has doubt that the metalworking part is within my skillset, Please refer to my previous posts. I am proficient at making metal do what I tell it to do. Photos will be uploaded in a few.

Reactions: Theslaking

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive design
Light Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Water Motor vehicle Wood Hood

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
You can always og infinite baffle.
Yes but that would definitely negate my " No rattle" clausd.

Truth be told, I may in fact try IB first but this sub is known to be amazing with a large ported enclosure tuned really low.

·
Listener of Music
4,142 Posts
My trunk moves a lot less IB vs the old ported box.

I don't know the pressure difference but it's noticable.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Another example of what the final product will be similar to. I did a sub in a buddy's Pontiac G8 years ago.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
My trunk moves a lot less IB vs the old ported box.

I don't know the pressure difference but it's noticable.
But in my case, the port and sub would fire directly into the cabin so no pressure at all if I accomplish my goal

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
I have been busy with other stuff but I did take the time yesterday to accomplish another task. I have been struggling to get the passenger seat out of Granny's car for a while now. The floors are just so rusted that the fasteners were locked into place. I usually use a torch to heat up the fasteners but this one is surrounded by plastic and old carpet. I did not want to start the stuff on fire and I did not want to melt the plastic. I finally decided to just do it. I used my makita "thumper" impact gun after I heated the bolt carefully and doused it quickly with penetrant. It did not budge. SO I hit it with a breaker bar and it finally cracked. I turned it a little more and then used the thumper to finish it off. The rest of the bolts came off pretty easily or took the surrounding metal with them. So now I have all the white seats ready to go in.

This weekend I plan to finally scuff up the new epoxy in order to spray the Lizard skin deadener followed by the ceramic. Once complete, I can finally start getting carpet back into the car. Iwould like to get the car to the point that the family can take a drive with me without the crazy heat coming up through the floor.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Any chance of adding some insulation between the exhaust/headers and the floor? I mean outside the passenger compartment?
In the winter, I am going to pull the motor/trans and then blast, sand and paint the underside of the floor. I will then add another layer of the lizard skin deadening and ceramic. I should not need more than that.

There will also be other layers of stuff under the carpet helping the issue. from the underside of the car it will be in these layers. I should not have any issue once I am done.
-interior
carpet
foam
MLV (Mass loaded vinyl)
foam
lizard skin-ceramic
Lizardskin-deadening
primer
metal
primer
paint
Lizardskin-deadener
Lizardskin-ceramic
__Possible Raptor liner----

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am new to the forum and found your thread. I am impressed with your perseverance. I have similar skills in metal working as you have but I am not sure I would have tackled your rear end project. I probably would have just saved up for a bolt in unit. Anyway, now that I have found this thread, I will be following along.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 · (Edited)
I finally started spraying the lizardskin. I got a layer of deadener on before bed. I will spray another in the morning. It looks pretty cool.

I only sprayed areas that have been prepared with primer.

EDIT>>>Sprayed the second coat this morning.

Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive design Trunk
Tire Wheel Hood Car Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design
Automotive tire Textile Grey Wood Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Black Tread Automotive lighting Lighting
Hood Automotive tire Wood Grey Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
I am new to the forum and found your thread. I am impressed with your perseverance. I have similar skills in metal working as you have but I am not sure I would have tackled your rear end project. I probably would have just saved up for a bolt in unit. Anyway, now that I have found this thread, I will be following along.
Thanks for following along. The rear end project was fun and saved me TONS of cash vs buying one. Just think, I still have the second axle with the 4.10 gears if I wanted to use it.

261 - 280 of 328 Posts