DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
141 - 160 of 493 Posts
Your project sounds amazing! I have a 2-door 85 Buick LeSabre parked in storage with a 1000 mile LS4 from a trophy truck. I did an 6.0 LS swap in my 2000 Escalade but it almost caused a divorce. I believe swap parts and knowledge are more readily available nowadays. You might have motivated me to restart that project! Damn it.
PLEASE install a drive shaft safety loop before you pole vault the car or worse. Iā€™ve witnessed factory Camaros with spray do this at the drag strip. Scary!
Have you thought about using the Holley Terminator X?

Awesome Regal. I had a ā€˜76. Bought it from a friend in the mid-90s with a bad transmission. Had never as much as changed the oil in a car but I replaced the TH350 transmission [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #146 ·
Awesome Regal. I had a ā€˜76. Bought it from a friend in the mid-90s with a bad transmission. Had never as much as changed the oil in a car but I replaced the TH350 transmission [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah my other 76 has a bad tranny too.

Reactions: Rich.E.Rich
Discussion starter · #148 ·
Holy Crap!
I just did some quick measurements and realized that I can fit easily 10 cubic feet of enclosure in only half the trunk!. I think Im going ported with two W15gtimkii subs tuned super deep! I want a no rattle install so I plan to completely isolate the trunk from the cabin. I hate the trunk wanging sound. These subs definitely perform well in big ported enclosures too.

Ive been remodeling a bathroom and now that it is done, I getting back to the car.

Reactions: Huckleberry Sound
Discussion starter · #149 ·
Holy crap that was scary!!

Almost lost the Regal for good. Gas gauge is not working and I ran out of gas while testing my new LED headlights. I knew that this was a possibility but I needed to test the full capacity of the tank which I now know is 17.4 gallons. Well I had put a gas can in the trunk for this very occasion. So here I am in the dark on a busy 4 lane pouring gas into the tank and I see lights approaching very fast. I almost got rear ended by some D bag that was clearly not paying attention. He missed me by about 10 feet at approximately 45mph. I put gas in that thing and got the hell out of there as quickly and I could.

On a positive note, I am attaching new pics of my new headlights.

Reactions: Coppertone
Discussion starter · #150 ·
Wideband installed, calibrated and works as it is supposed to. I still have to figure out where I want to mount it.

Discussion starter · #151 ·
Wideband is in its semipermanent spot now. It is visible when seated and with the steering wheel straight. It will get a re-install some day when I make the dash fancier.

Reactions: Coppertone
Discussion starter · #152 ·
Ok.... It begins. I finally decided to start making the template to cover the hole in the floor. After much thought, I decided that the cheapest and most effective way to make a pattern is to do 1/8th strips of hardboard (roughly $7 at box store) and hot glue (cheap as hell) to form a frame. I will then probably cover it with some cheap non stretch fabric to get the surface area. As long as the metal matches the surface area of the fabric, it will fit. I could cover my mold with tape to further enhance the fit but it may not be needed. There may be some work needed on my english wheel but not too much.
Photos as usual.

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Wood Hood Floor Gas Hardwood
Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Discussion starter · #153 ·
So my skeleton has now been transfered to poster board while it was still in the car. I then filled misc gaps with masking tape attached to the poster board and added tape to the sticky side to keep the taped areas rigid enough to transfer.

I then transfered the poster shape to big box store floor protector cardboard. It works well since it already retains a curved shape. After transferring it and fitting it on top of the skeleton, I removed the skeleton and placed the two pieces for fine tuning.

Once fine tuning is done, I am ready to final transfer to metal, one last fine tune and then cut the existing metal where needed followed by welding it in.

You can see in the photos that already the shape is very close to where it needs to be with nothing but a couple magnets keeping it from moving. Its relaxed shape is very close though.

Discussion starter · #154 ·
This is a better representation of the fit up. With a minor bit of weight applied it sits with a 1/16 gap almost all the way around. The few areas with a 1/8 gap will be fixed up with another round of double layer tape. Then the template is done.

Material property Pipeline transport Automotive exhaust Gas Cylinder
Wood Automotive tire Sleeve Gas Tints and shades

Discussion starter · #155 ·
Wood Cylinder Gas Machine Metal
Im switching between house work, working on my chopper, playing call of duty with my son and just had enough time (30 min) to cut the front metal and then after about 5 min on the english wheel it is pretty good for welding.

Im gonna take the first ride on my chopper of this year and work on the back part later. Were getting close though!

Discussion starter · #157 ·
Front tunnel half welded. Yes, my welds look crappy and yes, thats why my photos are so far away. I had to contort my old bones to weld everything. Everything is solid though.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Gas
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Car

Reactions: glockcoma
Discussion starter · #158 ·
At this point, I am so tired of welding that I will just have to stop right here. Fortunately, no more wind breeze from my spinning driveshaft. I should have epoxied the damn panels before I welded them up. Now, I will probably have to remove the tranny to paint them. Stoopid!

Hood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part
Gas Auto part Plumbing Pipe Metal

Discussion starter · #159 ·
Im going to get a posi. That is for sure.

After driving this thing for a while, I am pondering what to do. The way it is now with 2.73 gears is okay but kind of too mellow. While it is cool to lug around at like 1400 rpm, it is not quite as exciting as I want. Now the issue is that if I decide to go boosted(yes, yes, yes), the 2.73 gears will definitely keep her drivable. With boost, this ratio will save a little rubber.

Now if I go 3.73 gears, it will be a beast with natural aspiration but as soon as I boost it, I will never be able to keep the tires from spinning. It would be quite fun though.

So do I keep the mellow 2.73 gears preserving the mpg's and top speed (which I dont care about really) in preparation for much more power

Or

Switch to 3.73 which will wake up the acceleration big time now and waste a little more gas but will devour the tires once boosted

141 - 160 of 493 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.