DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. thanks for taking the time to read my first post ever. I am the proud owner of a 1981 fullsize chevy, reg cab pickup. I have fully restored the outside and am just doing up the interior, based around a really nice stereo.

what I have so far is a L7 10" in a 2.25 cu.ft spec'd enclosure between the bucket seats. a 25 to life edition Rockford power 1000 5 ch amp. a current Rockford power t600-4. custom kickpanels for 6.5" woofers and an opening for a single din H/U in the dash. I have 6x9 boxes that fit in the corners and 6.5" boxes that fit side by side on top of the sub along the back wall. any reccomendations for speakers, speaker placement etc. in these old chevys?

experienced in bodywork/fiberglass. looking for reccomendations for tweeter/woofer placement. as well as suggestions for components. not dead set on the speaker enclosures I have just have them and they fit.

id like to say im looking for SQ but my headers and 3" duals cut out a lot of midrange. anyone have experience in sound deadening these old trucks?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

attatched is a quick pic of how my enclosures fit in my truck
the pioneer coax were kicking around so I put them in the boxes, not permanent by any means! as stated 6.5" boxes between the seats atop a 2.25 cu.ft ported enclosure and 6x9s in the corners in boxes. kick panels already built out and still modifiable

also my 25 to life special edition power 1000. really nice amp, painted it black for lower profile (used to be chrome) good filters with 10x switch allow full active with no signal processor required... wish my newer power t600-4 could do that lol

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
nice truck and a desent start on the soundsystem.

look into an active capable headunit, like the alpine 160 series, or find someone selling an older 149bt. the pioneer 80prs is the best active capable headunit on a budget, but its super ugly and clunky to use.

Most will say to just use the kicks and the sub, but in that truck I don't think it'd be enough.

jbl gt series 6.5 components in the kicks with the tweeters above the woofer aimed slightly up, and matching 6x9 in the rears. ditch the middle 6.5 boxes imo.

then, if you want to go nuts in a good way, get yourself some 3 inch midranges and build them either into the kicks if theres room, or put them in the stock dash location, still single center here? or is there one in eac corner.

This would allow you to have more midrange to keep up with the tweeters/exhaust plus bass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input! there was some oldschool (and blown) 3.5" speakers at the edges of the dash when I got the truck... they weren't even hooked up. soo 6.5" and tweets in the kicks, 3.5" in the dash and 6x9 in the corners. just wondering what is the reason for no boxes center rear? new to this so im not just trying to argue your input.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also was looking at a newr kenwood excellon single din. any experience with these head units? I was at a stereo shop in Hamilton... heard some really nice speakers by morel. how do you guys like the morel tempo ultras in the component sets?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
morel makes a great driver, they are not overpriced except for the really highend tweeters. if you liked them, the 6.5 component set would be a good choice, but then you cant match the sound of them to the 6 by nines..but maybe morel makes a tempo 6x9?

the reason for not using the 6.5 boxes in the center is two fold. one, you just don't need them, with all this in a reg cab truck I really don't see any need to complicate things. and two..complications, how will you wire them, where will they get signal..they just aren't needed.

if you get the morel components, look into a pair of the morel cdm88 for the dash location

then you'd run your 1000.5 like this

channel 1 and two highpass at 4k using the 10x switch. channel 3 and 4 lowpassed at 4k using the 10x switch and highpassed with a simple 2 way electronic crossover you can likely find off craigslist, but this is why I suggested an active capable headunit
channel 5 to the sub

on the 600.4 I'd run two channels to the 6.5 in kicks and two to the 6x9s

kenwood makes a great headunit, the interface and build quality is imo better than pioneer and just behind alpine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just getting home. I cannot find the cdm88 that you mentioned. but the tempo ultra series includes the 6.5" as well as 6x9 in component sets. would this component 6x9 or the ultra integra coax 6x9 be better? as far as I know people generally don't mount separate tweeters in the back. in that same integra line they have 4" as smallest. will this supply the same midrange boost as opposed to the 3.5" or would coax in the dash near the 6.5" components be a bad idea?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as previously stated I have a kicker L7 10", I think it sounds great in its 2.25 cu.ft ported enclosure. so I started looking at kicker for speakers. anybody a fan of the ks component sets? what about type r alpines? anybody have any experience comparing these to lower end morels?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
the alpines have almost no midbass but the tweeter sounds good, the kickers sound like crap without a lot of eq but take abuse well.

you could buy a pair of midbasses, not necessarily morels off of here, then run the 4 coaxial in the dash and the 6x9 coaxial out back. This would simplify your amp needs and negate the need for any extra crossover/dsp.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
instead of the 6.5"s on top of the sub what about a single 8" driver? just throwing ideas out there and looking for responses. still undecided on speaker layout/driver choice. anyone a fan of the infinity kappas? would have to match it to a reference series 3.5"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone ever do a blow through, through the back window? these old trucks have a flat back glass held in a rubber c-channel. would be easy to remove the glass and replace with an open center -plexi/accordion gasket... put the boxes under a deadened fiberglass cap?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts