DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, always wanted to do a SQ build as I love music, basically listen to anything besides new "country" and new "rap" ... but mainly I listen to rock, bands like Tool, Rage Against the Machine ect... wanted a set up that would really hit hard but hit fast and not drag on at all... so with this Covid deal I started to buy pieces little by little here and there , making money from sale to sale and dumping it into the car lol... I originally intended on just a 4ch a mono and a 2way component set up front and rear... but things escalated quickly.

The car is a 84, Its my 92 vehicle that I've owned thus far, I flip cars and keep the big oll bombers and weird s*** for myself... original owner purchased it new locally for his wife, one of those good oll "church on sunday" deals, literally lol... church on Sunday and shopping on Saturday. He kept full records of the car and even won some car show events.. When he passed the wife eventually patked it at her daughters because the doors were to heavy to open.

Fast forward 17 years and I bought it from the daugter for a steal!!! Not much over a grand. Got it sep 14th 2018 with 46,699 original miles... it's a DeElegance with optional cushioned seats, good oll HT4100 (basically found on every worst top ten engine list you'll see) paint faded and delta sonic took my vinyl top but all and all a solid car, needs a respray but my budys father owns me a paint job for building a 87 firebird drag car for his son... so itll get some love over the winter... mechanically she's great, I've been turning. wrenches since I could crawl so I keep up with it.

Anyhow, my main goals were these,
1, best sound quality I could get for the $$
2, maintain a stock looking interior without sacrificing sound quality
And 3, not to use every day run of the mill equipment... I wanted to be different, I'm like this in alot of ways but I am/was brand new to car audio in the beginning of this project... the hardest things are and were learning (still far from done on that one) coming up with the money for each piece if the build and lastly the whole keeping it relatively stock looking... the last part is tricky seeing as there isn't much in the way of speaker locations in the front of the car .

Kicker panels were out, didnt want a 6.5 sticking into my shin... so that left the door, the dash and potentially a center console if I built one... witch I had planned on doing since this thing came with every option you could think of but doesn't have a single cup holder.. I swear the over head counsel has a cocaine stash compartment for its 80's Italian owners lmao... but no cup holders...

So far I've done lots of mechanical but also removed all the interior devices (wiper switch, cruise, climate control, fuel read out and level, mirror and so forth... I heated up the plastic covers and removed the clear plastic from the front of all of them, I did this because I was installing all bright 6k 194 style bulbs, but all the switches and so forth had a blue tint over the portion that let the light through. So I removed them and took a bit of brake clean on a rag and gently removed the blue film/tint and reinstalled everything..

I also removed the door lamps, coated the inside of the plastic backing with a chrome reflective tape and installed a 1157 type bulb socket to run a very bright L.E.D. 6k headlamp bulb in the doors, did something similar in the rear map lamps and the over head console lights.

Also I installed a ash tray lamp, a small stick on L.E.D. that I powerd off a GM brake light switch that I mounted to the dash under the dash tray, this way when the ash tray was pulled forward the switch would un depress and illuminate the ash tray light.

Another lighting upgrade I did was external, these old 4x6 sealed bulb lamps leave alot to be desired, especially when your out in the boonies (sticks) so I mounted a 40" L.E.D. Flood Lamp bar behind the grill so as not to be seen when it was off... this lamp illuminates extremely well all around the front, but does not go a good distance... so I also mounted some 4" Silvania high end Spot Light L.E.D.s on the bumper in front of the grill... these I am not crazy about cosmetically but they serve a purpose and dont look to out of place...

For wiring I ran power off the fuse block to a old school Ford floor mounted high beam switch, from there I have a relay for each L.E.D. but also a TINYYYY little 5/16" green L.E.D. bulb mounted just under my speedo (was leaving them on in the day accidentally so needed a indication light)

Then for the spot lights I sent power from my existing high beam pos wire to the relays and jumped the on pole of the relays from the floor high beam switch ... this way it functions like normal when off, standard hi and low beams... but then when the floor switch is activated it lights my flood light bar (like a bery bright low beam ) and if and ONLY if this is illuminated I can turn my high beams on as I normaly would with the colum stock and that illuminates the spot lights...

So it's easy to use, no hand switches. Just tap the floor switch with your foot or the flood and click the high beams on for the spots.

That's about all I've done so far, other than install some power ports under the dash for my flashlights and phone and some bright trunk and hood L.E.D.s ... so I'll stop boring you with the non audio info.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Sounds interesting. And I like the lights idea.

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Noice... however the more amber LEDs are a bit easier on the eyes...

Do you have much room inside of the dash?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not the best pictures and I'll have to get one of the spot lights and a road pic at night, the one pictured is only with the flood light.

So another thing I took a swing at was the trunk... fist off I built my own little tool box/storage box (that's probably going to be in the way now)

But also I was not a fan of the old school checkerd looking carpet, so I bought a simple plain Jane brown 10'x10' carpet from home depot for roughly $20 or so... and started cutting it to size, this was definitely tricky when it came to the sections that raked up as well as the dips and whatnot. I got it the best I could.

Then I really dove in and removed one of the inner quarter panel cardboard pieces /panels...

I cut out a matching piece of 3/8" thick foam material I had purchased at walmart, I used a Locktite or 3M spray glue material (may have been the expensive headliner dedicated 3M glue at Autozone) and I glued it to the front of the crappy cardboard like material panel.

Then I used a lighter Tan/Brown vynl (also purchased from walmart) and did my best to pull it tightly and stretch it/ cut it correctly for the edges and corners and glued it down over the foam and wrapped it around the back side to overlap and inch or 2...

Turned out OK I thought, at least for my first time messing with anything fabric or interior related..

Started to wrinkle in the corners but I plan on redoing this as well as doing something similar with my amp racks/amp boxs that I have yet to build... they will have the Amplifiers recessed down almost flush and they'll be wrapped in leather or vinyl. Then I plan to hide all the wires and back light the amps by mounting L.E.D. 6k white color strips along the edges of the amps exterior dementions down In the bottom of each box... should look cool but easier said than done, and now I need a headliner as all my friends were so enthusiastic about the fact mine was not falling down that they would insist on drawing on it... so it would later droop wherever they had done there artwork lol...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, started to gather items for my build... first up was a used Focal 33KX, I plan on mounting this in the very back of the trunk up against the back seat... I will be making my own box and as of now I believe I am going to mount it inverted, I just live the look of the red magnets.. 1 issue I am facing is that Focal recommends 1.09cu ft, and there measurements are 14.5x14.5x14 or so with a rake up to the top and the top depth being around 10.5"... i can maintain the volume they are recommending but to get the box where I'd like to I will need to shorten it a bit and then lengthen to keep the volume right... not sure but if I have room I may do something with it inverted but fully enclosed with plexiglass or lexan to keep from damaging it. Box will be sealed.

Next up was a 4 channel for the speakers I have since ditched... searching through for sale adds and checking out old school ampmifiers I immediately fell in love with the looks Arc Audio CXL amps the Audio Art amps and lastly the Sinfoni's (but out of my price range), after more research I found all of them were great SQ amps and went on a search for a 4150... it was just a bonus to me that they happened to be some of the best sound quality amps around and were still serviceable by the same gentleman that built them 20 years ago!!!
So next was a White modded 4150CXL-R from captainobvious on here for a great price... I was intending on runing 2 of these, 1 for the left and 1 for the right... and doing a 3 way front stage. After alot of searching around and different ideas I found a gray 2500CXL on ebay to power the Focal... then after looking at dozens of 3 way active options for speaker I wound up getting a killer deal from Jerry Niebur on here and got myself a set of GB60's, GB25's and GB10's and i was able to purchase them one at a time and still get a great price... these were by far and away the most expensive pieces of my build thus far but well worth it I think... time will tell.

Next was a White Arc Audio 2100CXL that I couldn't pass up on for the deal... and lastly just yesterday I gave in on the search for another white 4150 and got a good deal on a beautiful Sinfoni 90.2x

So coming together little by little... here are just a few of my sketches/ plans/diagrams With the last one being my latest.
20200625_064335.jpg
20200625_064324.jpg
20200625_064319.jpg
20200625_064249.jpg
20200625_064243.jpg
20200625_064228.jpg
20200625_064157.jpg
20200625_064139.jpg
20200625_064214.jpg
20200625_064347.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So more will come. But my plan as of now is the following,

Up front, GB60's in the forward lower portion of the doors...

GB25's in the factory dash 4x6 location with small 1/4" MDF enclosures to keep them away from all the wiring and to angle them either at the windshield? Or away..

GB10's are going to be tricky, either a pod that I try to integrate without looking like it's not ment to be there... or potentially the very top forward portion of the door panel where it meets the A-pillar...

Then the 33KX in the center of trunk tucked back towards the seat inverted... with the 2100 to its left and a DSP yet to be found to its right...

Then I am going to run one of Audio Frogs new (yet to be available) shallow mount 8" subwoofers in a custom center console I have yet to built/design... I want to do this because I am going for SQ... but I have heard that the 33kx leaves a but to be desired when it comes to overall punch if it's by itself and out of the cabin. Since my car is 18'+ long and it will be in the trunk I think the smaller 8 in the cabin will add to it nicely...

Then the 2500cxl will get painted to match the other white Arcs, and it and the 4150 will go to the left and right before the sub with the Sinfoni in between.

I still havent decided if I want rear fill or not... I have had mixed advice, I think I would like it but I dont want to spend the cash to run anything like the GBs... I have a new German Maestro component system (5.25") and I think these would work nicely...

As for power
2500CXL - Focal 33kx @ 4ohms Bridged
4150CXLR - GB 60s and GB 25s
2100CXL - 8" Audiofrog sub
Sinfoni 90.2X - GB 10s

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My electrical system is going to be an interesting one... so the 4.1 unfortunately doesn't share GMs good oll parts swapping characteristics... everything is specific. That and I've already had alternator issues so I dont want to mess with my stock one.

However, there was a smog pump on the lower right bank of the front drive system that kept giving me trouble, it would seize up and throw belts, clock off to the side and throw belts... just a head ache. Especially since the only belt that actualy drives the water pump on this thing is the belt that shares the smog pump.

So finally one day I had it, I pulled it off and opened it up... blared all its guts out and re assembled it as a empty pump housing essentially turning it into a idler pulley... then I deleted the rest of the smog system... scrapped the catalytic converter (this alone payed for my exhaust system!) and it's been running better ever since...

So my plans are this, remove the dummy smog pump and fab up a bracket to run a second higher amp alternator (something I can find at a junk yard that's a common part and easily replaceable) then this will still serve as my idler pulley but also will be the charging source of my totally separate 2nd electrical system.

Either grab a fender mounted (Ford Style) Voltage regulator or find a alternator with one built in internally and run a second battery back in the trunk(or engine compartment doesn't matter... although battery power cable is cheaper than zero oxygen 0gauge) I will either be running a red top that I can hopefully snag from one of my cousins race cars, or a Interstate Blemish Battery.. I run these in all my vehicles, they are brand new with something silly wrong with them... name spelled wrong, wrong color ect.. and I can grab a top post 1,100cca for $45 brand new.

Then potentially a power bank or something like a capacitor if needed

Thanks for reading!!!

Next will be pics of the GB60 instal and pics of my goodies I've gathered so far!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Noice... however the more amber LEDs are a bit easier on the eyes...

Do you have much room inside of the dash?
Lots of room in the dash, and they actualy arnt to bad on the eyes... they are still dimmable and not bad in person

With all the interior lights on it gets BRIGHT tho... but it's more like a sunlight type bright than light bulbs

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
I was thinking of the head lamps as more amber, but the interior and gauge lights being amber is also well documented.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh ok, it still functions like normal until I hit the floor switch, the standard low beams and high beams are still there and work like normal.

With the L.E.D.s on I would compare it too a new modern L.E.D. headlamp car, maybe a little brighter. Definitely illegal lol, but I click them off when ever theres traffic just like a high beam
15930917039959125719216386149957.jpg

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cool to see - I'm a bit busy at the moment I'll have to come back and read more about what you're doing. I have a '92 Deville with a kick ass system in it and its my daily. I'll see if I can post a picture as you might be interested in the a-pillars and doors

P99RS -> (4) Rockford Fosgate Punch 75 25th anniversary amps (2*200 each) feeding Scan Speak D3004/6020 tweeters on axis in the pillars, Satori MR-13P in the dash (hacked out a bunch of plastic to fit these 5.25" midranges but it looks good), Satori 9.5" woofers in aperiodic door boxes, and an AE 15IB firing through the rear seat ski port. Only thing it needs is rear fill. I've thought about putting in an outboard DSP but it sounds and measures good just using the P99.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
26 Posts
92 vehicles? That's amazing.

I love seeing older vehicles like this getting maintained fixed up with a cool sound system install.
Not too weird in my book, just cool. If you run across an AMC Pacer, do a Wayne's World theme with it!

I can appreciate the planning as well. Nice job.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks guys, it means alot... especially being so new to audio...

And I live my old weird vehicles.. I flip cars alot, and yup had just over 90 and I'm only 28... I think this caddy is going to stay with me for a while tho!

Also I've been looking for another caddy build for ideas and cant find s***!!! I'd love to see your build... and I've done some little mechanical tricks with this that a caddy guy may appreciate, maybe not with yours tho as alot of the common issues were mainly with the earlier cars... wiper/washer motor being one....

I'll keep adding more as I go, definitely in over my head but taking it slow. Have more done just havnt got pics yet

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool to see - I'm a bit busy at the moment I'll have to come back and read more about what you're doing. I have a '92 Deville with a kick ass system in it and its my daily. I'll see if I can post a picture as you might be interested in the a-pillars and doors

P99RS -> (4) Rockford Fosgate Punch 75 25th anniversary amps (2*200 each) feeding Scan Speak D3004/6020 tweeters on axis in the pillars, Satori MR-13P in the dash (hacked out a bunch of plastic to fit these 5.25" midranges but it looks good), Satori 9.5" woofers in aperiodic door boxes, and an AE 15IB firing through the rear seat ski port. Only thing it needs is rear fill. I've thought about putting in an outboard DSP but it sounds and measures good just using the P99.
I would love to see how you did your pillar mounts... my biggest issue right now is trying to keep it remotely factory appearing... without sacrificing any SQ... the 60s I got a plan for, the 25s will go in the dash... but the GB10s would sound better on the pillar I think than at the top corner of the door panel... however on the door panel I can make it look factory... on our skinny little A-pillars I would need pods I assume and I don't think there is any getting around the fact that pods are going to look aftermarket... I'm afraid they will look like a pillar gauge pod.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here are some pics of the beginning of my GB60 Instal. Originally I intended on building my own 1/2" spacer out of MDF.. and bolting that to the outside of the door Panel. But a few weeks back I went to our only junk yard around that doesn't scrap there inventory (in other words there is s ton of old s***) when I was there I just tore off door Panel after door Panel and snagged any factory enclosure , cover, grill ect that looked like it may have been useable for me.

It turned out that the late 90's buick regals and the park avenues had a nice plastic enclosure... it has a rake to it that points up and back towards the drivers position and has a large enough flat surrounding surface to mount it right to the inner door guts... also has the same. Olt pattern already that the GB60's adapter rings come with...

So I started to go that route... not happy with the results yet... really difficult to remove the upper portion of the door Panel without cracking the plastic overhang that slides down over the inside of the door... struggled with that as well as the fact that once the door is closed there is hardly any space at all... I mean just enough for a 6.5

Now I gotta figure out a grill or some type of cloth cover or something... the GB60s grills are made to be used with there trim tings and inner chrome bracket but the trim rings are like 8" + in diameter so that's a no go... and even the chrome piece that mounts the grill is to large. Hell the grill itself is pushing it.

First I used a piece of heavy construction paper and cut it to the shape of that section of the door Panel.

I then got in the car and shut the door... marked off the surrounding overlap from the rocker /sill panel and the kicker Panel and cut the cardboard to match.

Then I removed the door Panel and used a cut off wheel and a jig saw to cut open the door a bit more ***making sure to keep the glass all the way up AND tape the bottom of the glass.. the metal shavings will actualy inbed themselves into the glass if you dont take precautions.

Lastly I tapped the buick plastic for screws, mounted the adapter ring to it... clearanced the back portion where the magnet was hitting and drilled my holes to mount it to the door.

(I will still be going back and using some cheap foam/stick weatherstriping and RTV to really seal this junction up tight.. also I will have to incorporate at least part of a baffle to make sure it's mostly water proof... with any 36 year old car ya gotta worry about water getting in the door and since the GB60s were only a couple hundred shy of what the car cost me I gotta be safe lmao...

So then I marked the back of back of the door Panel, cringed like I've never cringed before and cut through... It was a bit tricky to get the exact center point on the pannel itself since the plastic is so angled and whatnot... my pass door will turn out a bit better.

So still need to finish up what i mentioned as well as design some type of grill and cloth cover that looks nice.

Another issue that I'll have to work around is that I had to eliminate the door panels push pin/tabs at the lower corner and 1 back from the corner... but on a good note the buick box actualy lined up 3 of 4 holes with already existing holes in the door and even with the box turned to angle the speaker correctly!!!

20200611_215125.jpg

20200611_212241.jpg
20200611_212256.jpg
20200611_214311.jpg
20200611_214355.jpg

20200624_195014.jpg
20200624_195030.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
20200624_195039.jpg
20200624_195057.jpg
20200624_195113.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well once again cant speak highly enough about Andy and AudioFrog, I needed to mill down/cut off the tabs on the mounting rings/adapters that were included with the GB 60's, It looked as tho they were made to be broken off so i made a few cuts with a razor and then tried to use a pair of shears to get through the remainder... Well I made a whoopsy and cracked it in half.

Got in touch with Jerry my A.F. dealer and asked if i could buy just one ring, less than 10min later he responded with a tracking number and said Andy had one on its way for me free of charge. Wish more local places were as honorable as A.F.

That and today was Christmas in July for me!!!! After searching high and low for a 2nd white Arc 4150 I finally gave in. Wound up looking for a 2-channel instead (Focal FP2.150/FP2.75) and actually wound up with a real deal, hardly used Sinfoni Amplitude 90.2x... for $350 at my door! All I can say is wow... build quality, overall cosmetics . This is one BEAUTIFUL Amplifier. Honestly has me thinking of rolling the dice and selling off my Arc CXL's with the pipe dream of running all Sinfoni. That is if I could find a miracle deal on a 120.4, the others come and go but the 4-channels are tough. I might be able to swing it if I did tho...

Also I was very surprised at how small it is, I knew the dementions admittedly but looking at fractions and looking at the amp in real life are 2 totally different deals.

Here are some pics! Sorry I can hardly contain myself! That and I have right about ZERO friends with any interest at all in car audio so I got nobody to show any of this off too!!! Just me and what ever poor soul has read this far into my boring long winded shitty 80's greenhorn audio Cadillac build thread lol... Anyway here she is, seller was great too... also came with all the original mounting hardware and more.

20200703_060648.jpg
20200703_060702.jpg
20200703_060717.jpg
20200703_060737.jpg
20200703_060850.jpg
20200703_060907.jpg
20200703_060915.jpg
20200703_060920.jpg
20200703_060942.jpg
20200703_061001.jpg

·
Registered
875 Posts
That and I have right about ZERO friends with any interest at all in car audio so I got nobody to show any of this off too!!!

If you were close I would appreciate the quality and engineering that went into that piece of art. It sounds like we have to wait until we can appreciate the sonic bliss it will provide given the speakers it will power.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts