DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My background is in motorcycle audio albeit as a shade tree/garage hack. My truck is an 86 regular cab stock interior with an unmolested radio location. My build plan is to reuse gear on my shelf to the fullest extent. My goal is SQ with enough spl to parking lot pimp on occasion without embarrassment.

HU Classic Car Stereo USA 740
Sub: DD Audio 610D 4 ohm in a Qbomb ported box behind the seat powered by a Soundigital 1600.1 4 ohm
Midbass: (2ea) PRV 8MB600FT in rear cab corners powered by a Soundigital 1200.4 4ohm bridged
Midrange / Highs undecided coax in kick panels.
I have the following amps available to power my front stage: Soundigital 1200.4 4 ohm amp, a Soundigital 800.4 4 ohm, a Cerwin Vega B52, and a Biketronics 4180.
Everything will be controlled by a Dayton DSP 408 and tuned using REW and of course my 53 year old ears.

I'm a heavy metal junkie and have been since the 70's so that is my target music.
I need advice for the front stage that will work in concert with the rest of the system.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

·
Premium Member
9,178 Posts
Are you sure the Q Bomb enclosure and DD sub will fit behind the seat? Also, I haven't done any modeling, but I would bet that a custom designed/built vented enclosure will be much better suited for the subwoofer than the off the shelf Q Bomb.

While I know a lot of people prefer to run matching amps (Soundigital in your case) I would be tempted to use only the Biketronics for the mids and tweeters. In fact, I would dump those PRV midbasses all together and go for something like the Morel Powerslim 6 Integra / Virtus Nano 6 Integra Carbon in your kicks. These things are super shallow so they are easy to tuck tight into the corner and have a high enough Qts to be vented to the exterior. You'll probably want the crossover a bit higher than usual (<100Hz), but they should still play plenty low to blend well with your sub.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Qbomb / DD sub require that I move the seat forward 2 detents I stand 5'10" so not an issue. I wanted to use the PRV 8's because I have them on the shelf however if they won't work for this install so be it. I don't need super shallow mids the kick panels I bought allow for a 3.5" mounting depth and are angled up towards the driver, and I really don't want to spend more then $300ish on my 6.5's. I was leaning towards the BT 4180 for my front stage as you suggested. I am avoiding door speakers only because my doors are unmolested and I prefer to keep them as such. Thank you for your reply.

·
Premium Member
9,178 Posts
Are your kicks sealed, or vented to the exterior?

If they are vented to the exterior and you prefer a coax, I would look at the Morel Tempo Ultra 602 Integra or Audiofrog GS62 in your budget range. If they are not vented, you will likely want a lower Qts driver like the SB Acoustics SB16PFC25-4 or Morel Hybrid Integra 624 from Madisound or Parts Express.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The kicks bolt over the stock kicks so I have the option of sealed or vented. The reason coax's are appealing is lack of a good tweet mount location unless I haven't identified one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts