DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mazda323 SBacoustic/Dynaudio/CerwinVega Inf. baffle

Is it possible to successfully combine American force and Danish detail in an old Japanese car?
I would say yes!

My dog Tyson aka Theis just loves attention!

This is how cars looked like when I was a kid :)

If you see this in your mirror be prepared for a takeover!

Can you believe this mazda is 28 years old?

My summer tires Hankook Kinergy Eco 185/65 R15.
With these i'm able to reach 60 Mph in second gear = 12 seconds
Hankook FTW!

To make room for the bigger wheels and tires I had to mount 5mm spacers in the rear.
And no thats isn't rust just a little dirt...

LX 1.5L 5speed. Yes its the big engine:laugh: Notice the US style plate.

The original antenna made too much wind noise so I mounted this sharkfin.

Rubber mats serve a dual purpose catching noise and dirt :)
When I lifted the carpets to mount the various cables I was pleasantly surprised that Mazda actually seems to have used quite a bit of sound deadening material in this car!
So I decided extra sound proofing of the entire floor wasn't necessary.

Soft mattress for my dog, also help to reduce noise.

When I leave my car parked Tyson effectively guard a Rockford Fosgate Series1 4600 (made in USA) 4 channel amp located under the passenger seat :D
This high current amp drives my dynaudio 17w75's in bridged configuration with about 180w each.

With a constantly drooling dog, seat covers are required. Notice the dual 12" Cerwin Vega IB.

Mic for bluetooth connection to my Pioneer 80PRS headunit.
Bonus info: BT is actually a Danish invention named after one of our first kings Harald Bluetooth Gormsen, who turned the Vikings to Christianity.

Constantly powered dual USB charger ;)

Pioneer remote in steering wheel with sparco cover. The chrome trim on the air vents prevents rattling when I turn up the bass.

Relocated sensor from remote.

In the glovebox I have a 320GB WD scorpio black Harddisk in alu. box.

The Pioneer 80PRS. Onboard amp drives the SBAcoustics Neo tweeters.
Also notice my homemade oak gearknob, oak multi size bottle holder, oak front on the ashtray and the slightly shortened gear shifter :cool:

SBAcoustic 29RDNC Neo Ring radiating tweeters, designed in Denmark.

I mounted the SB29RDNC on axis in rubber cups, the cups are designed for protecting trailer hooks.
Sourced at my local hardware store. Cheap, easy, simple and effective solution.

My classic hand built in denmark dynaudio 17w75 speakers were too deep to fit in the doors, so I went to my local second hand shop and bought a table made of massive oak.
From this table I made these mounts and all the other wood details in my car. Personally I think oak fits my old car very nice.
The doors are sound deadened and sealed. I also had to relocate the lower hinge.

Closing the heavy and sound deadened doors really leave a high quality impression, much like expensive modern cars.

Classic made in USA dual 12" Cerwin Vega XL-12D mounted in a heavy duty Infinite Baffle. These old 96db/w Vegas really produce a nice punch with only 180w each :) So I don't need huge amps and heavy duty alternator. I also appreciate the fact i'm able to play music when i'm parked and the engine isn't running.

IB made of 15mm trailer base sandwiched with ordinary plywood and mounted a few inches behind where the backseat originally mounted. So it's possible to refit the back seat without removing the IB, if the need ever arises. I managed to mount the IB without making any holes in the car!

Sealing the cabin from the trunk was a little tricky, but the end result is definitely worth it. It effectively blocks any sounds from the trunk and closing the trunk now leaves a quality impressing much like the doors. As an extra bonus I can also transport food in the trunk without the heat transferring from the cabin.

So far this is how the IB look from behind, this is a work in progress.

Because I didn't want to make any holes in my car, I had to be creative when mounting the IB.

For a small 900 kg (without the hifi) car the size of the trunk is quite impressive.

Classic American made Rockford Fosgate Punch 150 small cheater amp driving the CV subs.
When i purchased the car, the masonite double floor in the trunk was in a very bad shape, so I repaired and reinforced it. WIP.

This is how the cockpit looks like when its dark. During the 80'es everything had to be orange...

Except for the headunit and tweeters all the hifi is purchased second hand so this install only cost me about 1000 us$ including danish tax. So I think this proves that car hifi doesn't have to be expensive.
Of course I have spend countless hours working outside on my car, but as a true diy person I don't mind that.
Most people probably think a 1986 mazda is a shitty old car, but with the upgrades I have done I really enjoy driving it.
Handling is superb and I'm also convinced its more reliable than any car produced today.
It has only driven 112.000km /70.000 miles and is know to be extremely durable so i'm going to stick with this car.

I'm happy to answer any question I can, and please leave a comment even if you think i'm crazy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: 1986 Mazda Protegé / 323 1.5 LX

Almost forgot about the engine. Its a durable chain driven 8valve 1.5L with 75PS.
I scrapped a heavy duty jumper cable and reused the red cable for 12volt power supply.
A cheap solution compared to the prices danish car shops quoted.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I traded this near-mint condition battery for an old fridge.
Its a 85A Varta dual purpose designed for Boats and Caravans.
The fuse is 80A.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

Most of all, thanks for the custom garden hose split loom!

That, I have never seen!

Cheers from Canada

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Thanks for sharing.

Most of all, thanks for the custom garden hose split loom!

That, I have never seen!

Cheers from Canada
You are very welcome.
I got worried that vibrations could cause the plastic isolation to wear out over time. And I definitely wouldn't want a short before the fuse to cause a fire. Also in Denmark we have MOT test every second year and I know they tend to be strict regarding things like fuse safety. So for ease of mind I reused an old garden hose. I like to use what I have around and don't mind being a little different.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Thank a lot for the positive comments.
Yes this is my daily driver and I wish to keep it until our limited gas reserves dry out ;-)

Background info:
In 2007 I purchased a brand new VW Golf Plus, but it was unreliable and developed all sort of faults, very expensive to repair and maintain. 3 years old it also started to rust so I returned it.
Then I decided to look for an older Japanese car without any electronics. 1986 was a bit older than I planned for but it was in such a great condition I had to own it.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts

The condition is impressive. That car is as old as me! ;)

Hope we can meet up soon, would be fun to talk and listen to each others systems. Always learns something new when talking with other audio nerds.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Mazda are know to rust quite badly but my car has never been welded!

I have family on Sjælland so im thinking about maybe extending a trip to Sjælland with Sweden. But it takes some planning and I think I will need a passport for my dog. Are you cool with dogs?
I really would like to go to a car hifi meet. All I se in denmark are DB drags that just isnt my thing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

I'm working on a Nexus7 based HUD. But I will still be using the harddrive to feed the 80PRS .wav files, so the Nexus will only be used for HUD Speedo and GPS tracker.
Please notice that I have disabled the Navigation bar.

Getting the software just right gave me some trouble, but I think its working perfect now.
The orange colors match better in real.

The tablet will boot when it gets power from acc. Starting the engine triggers auto on/off standby software, GPS tracker and the HUD speedo.
If the tablet doesn't receive power for 10 seconds the tablet goes in standby.
(Sorry about the shaking picture, its kind of hard taking pictures while driving)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I had some trouble with my tablet based HUD because it drains power faster than I can charge it. So I ordered a 3.1A charger and a 90 degree angled micro usb. Charger seem to work just fine but I had to return the angled usb because it was angled up instead of down :surprised:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

The tablet doesn't draw 3A. The charger I had was only 1.2A. I actually checked a lot of user reviews on eBay and Amazon. It seems exaggerated and dishonest specs are very widespread...
So I tried to order a popular model from eBay but the reseller didn't ship to Denmark. So I ordered a Cabstone High Power twin car charger (3.1A) from a Danish based website. This way I can return it for a full refund if I want to, because I ordered the wrong cable I'm glad I didn't order from China.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts