DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son has a fixation on Volvo 240s. After about a month of searching, I found the unicorn old lady Volvo 240 for him - 26k miles. But it needs some updating in the audio. anyone else on here have a Volvo 240 that would like to share what they've done?

At a minimum I need Bluetooth an amp and a front stage with rear fill - as well as a preloaded sub unit.

I believe the door speakers are 4"; I don't mind doing a component system in the front and having a nice front stage but I do want to keep this simple and on the low money side because in the end, he's going to pay for it.

I'm a big fan of Morel, am good at soldering etc. But the head unit is the biggest question mark. I'm interested in this:

The kid is not an SQ guy (yet), but he did have a GTI before this (RIP GTI, we hardly knew Yee). My interest is getting the phone out of his hand, some quality sound for short coin, but reliable.

I have the following items left over from other builds:

Pair of PPI 6.5 woofers
Pair of PPI AMT
Pair of Morel Tempo Ultra tweeters
Pair of PPI 3 way cross overs

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my 1+7P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
I installed some quality 4 inch mids in factory locations in my brothers 240. some 6.5's in the stock (rear) quarter panels (he had a 2 door coupe), and then a bandpassed 12 ported in through the rear deck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The amp is going to be the Arc Audio XDi850.5 I had in my truck. I am sending it back to Arc to have repaired.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed some quality 4 inch mids in factory locations in my brothers 240. some 6.5's in the stock (rear) quarter panels (he had a 2 door coupe), and then a bandpassed 12 ported in through the rear deck.
What is "quality". I have some 5-1/4" adapters coming in and a new head unit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
From what I remember you can go with a larger 5.25” speaker if the grill is shallow. Watch out for the grill hitting the dash and it helps if there’s power windows or make sure the window crank clears. If the radio is at the top, there’s a dash pad that sticks out over the top of the radio. That may get in the way of a screen or the radio you listed. Some Volvo’s had the radio low in the dash depending on the year and model.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
From what I remember you can go with a larger 5.25” speaker if the grill is shallow. Watch out for the grill hitting the dash and it helps if there’s power windows or make sure the window crank clears. If the radio is at the top, there’s a dash pad that sticks out over the top of the radio. That may get in the way of a screen or the radio you listed. Some Volvo’s had the radio low in the dash depending on the year and model.
We decided against the op head unit. The dash over hangs way too much. Instead I ordered an Auslander 3 head unit.

The car has power windows - I picked up some 5-1/4 adapter plates so I can get up to 2.2" of mount space.

The boy is going to try out a front stage only set up with sub which is cool because the car only came with two speakers - and I really don't want to cut....

I'd like to do a true active set up - mounting the tweets in the dash speaker location that is open - because I seriously don't even want to cut the doors to put tweets in.

Also, this way instead of getting coaxials for the door, I just need 5-1/4" drivers - because I have 2 different sets of tweets to choose from to use.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless of course I can get a decent component set in the 5-1/4" range. The adapter plates came in today.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
am strongly considering mix and matching...... and going active, need a solid 5.25" midwoofer - I'll use the Morel Tweeters.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So we decided to put holes in the dash - and will be using the Morel tweeters. The dash is all cracked, and we are putting a new cover on it anyway.

On to the midwoofers and sub.

This is going to be 100% active system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
From what I remember, I quit installing about 15 years ago, there was depth issues with the door location. The dash limits the amount a larger speaker can stick out from the door panel and the window rolls down behind the speaker. Have you looked at the kick panels? I don’t remember if there’s any room to put speakers there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I can fit 2.2" depth with these brackets.

Now I'm second guessing myself about doing an active system - I don't want to use a dsp. The amp may be able to do it - I'm not sure the head unit I ordered has that functionality

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not yet. I think I'm probably going to go that route now. Mid-range $$ wise. Amp is 85w per channel

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’m just catching up with what equipment is available now. I have some very nice old school gear I’m tempted to use in my install. I’m still catching up with what’s available now and will probably swap gear out as I go. If I find anything that might work in the Volvo I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I decided to go with what I know, and got Morel Maximo Ultra 502s.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
This isn't an SQ build, but it's going to get better. The doors got some deadening. The tweeter location is temporary, I'm waiting for new sail panels to come in before making pods.

The boy did a majority of the work, and what he didn't know how to do, I showed him how, and he did it.

I taught him the importance of properly setting gains, properly wrapping and terminating wires, etc. The best part was when his face lit up when he turned it up, knowing he did most of the work.

Waiting on a new sub. The amp may or may not be a place holder, it tuned easily and gives great clean sound.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Decided to cancel the Auslander unit and am looking for something with a little more capability.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nice project...nice pix.

That said, out of an abundance of internet caution, I do suggest that you remove or edit the one with the license plate number so that the number is no longer legible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts