DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Far far away. Lol. Factory is in Hong Kong. That's what I really liked about them. Never seen them before so i took a chance and ordered 4 to test. And dont worry. I used half a can of lysol on them. Lol.

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I sure hope that crossover is able to be bypassed as it makes no sense to (me to) be on an audiophile focused amp. Can’t find a manual online or pictures of controls.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Yea you can. I'm going to turn off everything and use my audiocontrol dsp for all tuning functions

20200422_121301.jpg
20200422_154348.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Man....I really do miss the forums.....sometimes! LOL!
This is one of those times for sure. I'm glad I happened to be stumbling around looking for ideas for our "new to us" 2008 Scion Xb. I'm 43, and growing up in the 90's, had several Fox Body 5.0's but I tell you what.....this was the only T-Bird that ever got my attention!
I had an installer friend that actually trained me and he owned one exactly like this. He was a die hard Image Dynamics fan and had a beautiful HLCD (horns) setup in his Super Chicken....lol.
Let's get those Planet Audio Tube-tastic amps repaired and finish up this Big Bird!
I'm so glad I could help by the way.....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #186 (Edited)
Yea I appreciate the contact. Well how do yall like the new direction? I went Clark griswold and ripped everything out. Lol. The planets may still return to the build after they are repaired. we will just have to see
20200423_124607.jpg
20200423_124610.jpg
giphy-31.gif

·
Registered
93 Posts
These amps look cool! Like it. I didn't know tube amps can output this kind of power. I always had the notion that tube amps were pretty low power output.... seems like that's on ignorant notion. Install looks dope.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Not ignorant at all. Full tube amplifiers meaning in the preamp section and output section are extremely expensive and very low power. These are tube preamp only. Get the tube sound but the power of an AB amplifier

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
It's been a few so here is the update. I have sound. Yesterday I got the amp hooked up and finally heard sound!!!! I am extremely impressed with the power and sound from this amp. I want to get the dsp tuned before I try to compare it to the planets or butlers. Unfortunately one of the tweeters was cutting out so I pulled the pillar out and also cracked it in the process. So tomorrow should have everything buttoned back up.
I'm starting to think this car is cursed 🤔

I+think+this+is+from+the+movie+christine+killer+_0ca97b310d02d579e3ba230b5a310410.gif

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
If you've read this entire thread you can see I've been having more problems than a normal install. I believed the car to be cursed so we sat down and had a long talk. She just felt like I didnt like the way she was from the factory. And I explained that I loved her unconditionally and I'm just making slight improvements that will make me love her even more. She now understands and we made beautiful love under the tree. So everything should go smoothly from here on out. Planets are undergoing surgery as we speak. The MBQ tube amp is installed and making beautiful music and I got my audiocontrol dsp finally fixed and running smoothly.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have done it awhile back with the orignal sovetch tubes and some NOS 1958 ge tubes and could definitely tell a difference. crazy how just different tubes can change the sound.
Yes, this is very true. Ask me how I know... :p

Reactions: draft6969

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thank you, and likewise! I love where your project is going, and I'm all for tubes and IB subs and vintage old school gear. Heck, I've had open baffle subs and speakers for my home system for years now, a similar concept to IB subs in a way.

Do you know what tubes those MBQ amps use? Probably a Chinese version of the 12AX7 I would imagine. And I'm guessing since those are 4-ch amps, that four of the tubes might be for the voltage gain stage, and the other four for the output stage, just like my Schiit Freya+ preamp.

BTW, just for FYI in the pic above, the large NOS RCA tubes on right are 6F8G's from 1935, the predecessor for the ever common 6SN7, which are the NOS Raytheon - Baldwin black plate tubes on the left from 1958. I have since swapped things around and have the 6F8G's on the left (voltage gain stage) and NOS Sylvania JAN VT-231's on the right (output stage) from 1946, the military version of the 6SN7.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Yes I believe you are correct about 4 in the voltage and 4 for output stage. They have 6j1 tubes in them. Very good for preamp applications. about half the size of a 12ax7

181 - 200 of 240 Posts