DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Ive been doing alot of reading and now I think i have a plan.

First off, Im planning/building this system in my 1990 Nissan Hardbody Std cab truck.

funding is slim so im trying to do this on a budget. Im by no means an expert and my car audio knowlege is limited, but not a total noooob. I want a decent system with good SQ and decent bottom end. That said, here's where im at so far.

Equipment List:

H/U - JVC KD-S48 (cheap HU but i liked the usability) already purchased.

Mids - Cadence CWM6KIT (seems that the reviews on these are pretty good and im on a budget... so I figure ill give em a shot)

Sub - Memphis refference slim 10"

AMP - Need help here! looking for recomendations, i have space to do two amps if necessary. Or go with a 4/5 channel.

Ill be building a full integrated sub/amp ecnlosure/rack.

Cabling - recomendations?

Components will be installed in the doors. Since i have a very shallow mounting depth, ill be building rings/pods/ect... to mount them in. Should i angle them up, id imagine this will be better than just flat mounting in the stock location????

In the end i want my install to look like it could have been factory installed to the untrained eye.

Am I heading in the right direction? any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hey guys. Ive been doing alot of reading and now I think i have a plan.

First off, Im planning/building this system in my 1990 Nissan Hardbody Std cab truck.

funding is slim so im trying to do this on a budget. Im by no means an expert and my car audio knowlege is limited, but not a total noooob. I want a decent system with good SQ and decent bottom end. That said, here's where im at so far.

Equipment List:

H/U - JVC KD-S48 (cheap HU but i liked the usability) already purchased.

Mids - Cadence CWM6KIT (seems that the reviews on these are pretty good and im on a budget... so I figure ill give em a shot)

Sub - Memphis refference slim 10"

AMP - Need help here! looking for recomendations, i have space to do two amps if necessary. Or go with a 4/5 channel.

Ill be building a full integrated sub/amp ecnlosure/rack.

Cabling - recomendations?

Components will be installed in the doors. Since i have a very shallow mounting depth, ill be building rings/pods/ect... to mount them in. Should i angle them up, id imagine this will be better than just flat mounting in the stock location????

In the end i want my install to look like it could have been factory installed to the untrained eye.

Am I heading in the right direction? any suggestions?
What is your budget for the amp(s)...?

·
Registered
503 Posts
My 2 cents?

Used Zapco Reference/AG amps are affordable at this time.
They seem to fit real well in pickups.

If you have the funds Zuki amps are a great choice also.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My 2 cents?

Used Zapco Reference/AG amps are affordable at this time.
They seem to fit real well in pickups.

If you have the funds Zuki amps are a great choice also.
Really? The guy has a JVC head unit, cadence speakers and a memphis sub and you are recommending zapco or zuki amps? that seems a little off to me.

To the OP - if you are looking for new amps, the offerings from Soundstream/Precision Power seem to pack a lot of features in for your dollar, and have gotten pretty decent reviews as of late, as well as will help you stick to a reasonable budget.

If you're willing to go used your options are unlimited, and it could be a place that you really SAVE money. Alpine, Kicker and the likes amps usually go for dirt cheap on the used market because they are so plentiful. Older amps are usually even cheaper. I've been picking up older infinity and MTX amps for super dirt prices for the last year or so. (for example, I got an infinity 255a (50x4 and 300x1) and 202a (200x2) for 100 shipped each. That's a lot of power for 200 beans. I got a 2 channel, a4 channel and a mono matching MTX amps for a grand total of $130 that gives me 45x4, 75x2 and 250x1. So yes, there are deals out there on the used market.

With the equipment you have already picked, I wouldn't waste my time going high end with my amplifiers. Just stay away from the flea market stuff and you should be fine with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Really? The guy has a JVC head unit, cadence speakers and a memphis sub and you are recommending zapco or zuki amps? that seems a little off to me.

To the OP - if you are looking for new amps, the offerings from Soundstream/Precision Power seem to pack a lot of features in for your dollar, and have gotten pretty decent reviews as of late, as well as will help you stick to a reasonable budget.

If you're willing to go used your options are unlimited, and it could be a place that you really SAVE money. Alpine, Kicker and the likes amps usually go for dirt cheap on the used market because they are so plentiful. Older amps are usually even cheaper. I've been picking up older infinity and MTX amps for super dirt prices for the last year or so. (for example, I got an infinity 255a (50x4 and 300x1) and 202a (200x2) for 100 shipped each. That's a lot of power for 200 beans. I got a 2 channel, a4 channel and a mono matching MTX amps for a grand total of $130 that gives me 45x4, 75x2 and 250x1. So yes, there are deals out there on the used market.

With the equipment you have already picked, I wouldn't waste my time going high end with my amplifiers. Just stay away from the flea market stuff and you should be fine with whatever you choose.
x2...I also think the PPI amps might work for you ...The class D amps offer a lot of bang for the buck....try this link

Precision Power Car Amplifiers | Car Audio | Car Audio, Video & GPS at Sonic Electronix

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys.

Ive actually been Checking out KnuKonceptz a bit. I was looking at the Krystal RCA's. ill probably be going with those. unless someone has a reason why i shouldn't.

As for the Amp kit.... That JL kit is a Pretty good deal. But i think i want to piece it together. I have never liked the red/black wire combo. Looks do matter for this install.

Like I mentioned above, I plan on building a enclosure and amp rack across the whole back wall of my truck, I want to wire it so that i have room to grow. While i am doing a pretty simple and "cheap" system now, i want to be able to swap out for better equipment down the road. I don't want to redo the "bones" of my system if i don't have to.

On to the Amps. Ill have to looki into the soundstream stuff. I used to run PPI amps, But i heard that now that they are chinese made they are not at the same level of quality that they used to be.

I was talking to one of the installers at the local car audio shop. He recomends Hertz and Audison, a bit more spendy than i can afford now but seem to be decent.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Don't read into the "Chinese made" thing too much...almost all amps are made in Asia

For what you are looking to spend the PPI stuff is hard to beat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good point on the Asia stuff............

So, Ive looked at the PPI stuff.

Looks like i can get what I need power wise, and stay within budget. providing i stay with the Sedona line. The only down side i see is the foot print... they are fairly large! the one i noted below is 15-3/4L x 9-1/2W x 2-1/3H which is about as big as i want to go with mu current plan.

Any opinions on the MB Quart amps. Looks like there are a few that will allow me to put 300w ish to my sub and 75-100w to my components with a 4ch amp. The price on these is attractive too. I looked a the Power Bass amps too, know anything about them?

these are the ones im looking at and comparing. in no specific order. a quick search and i found a few that fit within the budget and foot print i want to stay within.

1. PowerBass ATM550.4 11"L x 7-3/4"W x 2-1/4"H
2. MB Quart FX4.70 12-3/4"L x 9-1/2"W x 2-1/4"H
3. MB Quart REF4.80 12-3/16"L x 7-3/4"W x 1-7/8"H
4. MB Quart FX4.100 15-3/4L x 9-1/2W x 2-1/3H
5. Precision Power PPI S580.4 15-3/4L x 9-1/2W x 2-1/3H

Im partial to the PPI, I used to like MB quart mids, but dont know much about them now (that was 10 years ago).

Thoughts or oppinions on these?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
good point on the Asia stuff............

So, Ive looked at the PPI stuff.

Looks like i can get what I need power wise, and stay within budget. providing i stay with the Sedona line. The only down side i see is the foot print... they are fairly large! the one i noted below is 15-3/4L x 9-1/2W x 2-1/3H which is about as big as i want to go with mu current plan.

Any opinions on the MB Quart amps. Looks like there are a few that will allow me to put 300w ish to my sub and 75-100w to my components with a 4ch amp. The price on these is attractive too. I looked a the Power Bass amps too, know anything about them?

these are the ones im looking at and comparing. in no specific order. a quick search and i found a few that fit within the budget and foot print i want to stay within.

1. PowerBass ATM550.4 11"L x 7-3/4"W x 2-1/4"H
2. MB Quart FX4.70 12-3/4"L x 9-1/2"W x 2-1/4"H
3. MB Quart REF4.80 12-3/16"L x 7-3/4"W x 1-7/8"H
4. MB Quart FX4.100 15-3/4L x 9-1/2W x 2-1/3H
5. Precision Power PPI S580.4 15-3/4L x 9-1/2W x 2-1/3H

Im partial to the PPI, I used to like MB quart mids, but dont know much about them now (that was 10 years ago).

Thoughts or oppinions on these?
I don't have any experience with the current Quart amps...but a lot of good things have been said about them throughout the forum

This amp would be on my short list

Precision Power P900.4 (p9004) 4-Channel Phantom Car Amplifier

Here is a review on the P900.4 amp

http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/test-reports/1805-test-report-precision-power-p9004-amplifier-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oooh! I had not looked at that line... seemed like they would be a bit pricey! That one is definitely on my short list! Alot of bang for the buck there!!!!!

I could easily hit the 300 to my sub, and 100 to the comps. I Like this one!!!

Thanks Trojan Fan! definitely some food for thought.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The current Soundstream and PPI amps as well as Power Acoustics are all made by Epsilon the MBquarts are made by Maxxsonics who also makes Crunch, Hifonics and Autotek.

There was a dark period where these companies were making pretty crappy amps, but they've managed to turn it around and put out some pretty nice amps these days. In my opinion, none of them make amps on the same level as an audison or hertz, but that takes me back to my original point. Are you really going to run and audison amp off of a JVC head unit and then run it to Cadence components? It'd be a waste.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That said, are the MB, Crunch, Hifonics, ect... all the same amp internally, just in different housing?

I think im leaning toward the PPI, but not 100% yet.

The only reason I have considered going with Hertz or Audison is because I intend to upgrade my HU (Eclipse or Denon like i had in the past) and components eventually. The wife thought she was doing something nice and bought me the HU as a gift when i told her that i wanted to do a system in the truck. SO, i have to at least use it for a while....

·
Registered
919 Posts
That said, are the MB, Crunch, Hifonics, ect... all the same amp internally, just in different housing?
Yes and no, in the case of PPI and Soundstream there are differences, they will use different pre-amp sections and components on the boards etc

I think im leaning toward the PPI, but not 100% yet.

The only reason I have considered going with Hertz or Audison is because I intend to upgrade my HU (Eclipse or Denon like i had in the past) and components eventually. The wife thought she was doing something nice and bought me the HU as a gift when i told her that i wanted to do a system in the truck. SO, i have to at least use it for a while....
Your HU and speakers will have more of an effect on the sound than your amplifier. So long as it is of a reasonable standard of quality, that the PPI amps certainly are, you aren't going to notice much of a difference.

Nice thought from the wife, so you're stuck using it. That kinda sucks...but I'm sure she doesn't know any better. I'm sure the JVC looks nice, which is what many people base their decisions on. Regardless, I think the Phantom amp is the right choice. It hits your budget, it's small so it will fit great in your small truck, and it leaves plenty of room for upgrades of HU/Components/Sub.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^^^Good to know, Thanks DaveRulz^^^^^^

Now to gather some Funds!

Thanks for the help guys... Ill start a tread once i start building/installing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts