DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, this is my 1990 Toyota Sera, sorry for all the clicky links, but this will attack my bandwidth :)

And this is a bunch of pictures of the work I am slowly getting done to my car (taken a year so far, mostly because I'm lazy!)

Below is the original door trims

I took the doors off my spare parts car, which is helped me a heap when I worked on my door speaker mounts, I didn't have to rush into anything at all. These things are heavy!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First thing was creating my wood base for a mount, then built up rings ontop till eventualy glassed it up, this will sit behind the door trim, nice and

solidly bolted to the door, these speakers don't move a hair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Few pictures of them mounted in the car, Some wires and some Rice :)

These are the tweeters, they've been fitted with a RGB Led, this is the optional extra factory mount for my car.

Dash shot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is the amp rack bit, the rear of my car is a wall unlike a tradtional trunk/boot, the car has a glass hatch, gave me a great place to put the amps.

Rear was pretty close to compleatly dynamatted, rear is pretty solid since its all stamped and wavey

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fitting the tweaters I had to pull out my entire dash which was horrible!

ALpine 9887 Headunit, pretty happy with it.

Next step I'm currently working on is my subwoofer, this is the corner of my boot I have to work with, I was originaly going to put two 10" woofers either side of the rear but that turned out to be impraticle thanks to the differences on each side of the rear to accomdate the fuel filler.

Thats it so far!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Very interesting looking car and nice install.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Nice work.

I'm not a fan of the leather on the doors, but that's a matter of taste (and maybe because I'm not a fan of leather on anything), I would have coated them with something that looks more original.

Not caraudio related: you really need to replace those rear drum brakes with disc brakes, drums don't belong on a car like that behind rims like that. Also a set of lowering springs wouldn't hurt the looks :)

greetz,
Isabelle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I tried to get the trims as original as I could, they arn't to bad as the interior is a mix of vinyl and painted plastics, I definetly didn't want painted plastic on my doors. I did have alot of trouble finding someone who was willing to trim the doors as the shapes were a bit odd. kinda close, but obviously some of the seams were a bit hard since the originals were vaccume formed.

I do have a whole disc brake rear axle assembly from a Toyota Starlet GT and new pads, it will be a straight swap + modification of the handbrake cable, but I haven't got around to that yet. I have changed the suspension since, it does sit a tiny bit lower, but not by much, they are still only 15" wheels

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I'm starting to get somewhere!

Put down a heap more layers and have mounted the woofer ring.

Plenty of clearance

Mocked up the terminal plate location and cut it out

streched some fleece

and now onto the glassing

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
nice work all around mate...is the car equivalent to the MR2 here in the states?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice work all around mate...is the car equivalent to the MR2 here in the states?
Cheers, um not realy, It's not realy a sporty car being a front wheel drive layout, it shares alot of things with the Paseo/Cynos/Starlet of the similar year. I'd think it would have been marketed as a small city car if anything in Japan. They get the looks and there not many of them around :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I like how you did the sub box with the mdf in the back so you had some serious bolt holes. Good idea for sure. The car is really interesting, and I'm looking forward to the rest of your install.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Cheers, um not realy, It's not realy a sporty car being a front wheel drive layout, it shares alot of things with the Paseo/Cynos/Starlet of the similar year. I'd think it would have been marketed as a small city car if anything in Japan. They get the looks and there not many of them around :)
Actually the Paseo is what I had in mind but my hands typed MR2 :D....keep up the good work

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like how you did the sub box with the mdf in the back so you had some serious bolt holes. Good idea for sure. The car is really interesting, and I'm looking forward to the rest of your install.
Thanks, I wanted to ensure the subbox was going to be pulled into the trim panel to ensure it doesn't move anywhere and to fit right, and it will also help to reduce some vibrations from the chassis metal behind where the trim panel bolts into. Plus it will make it stronger! not that it already needs it :)

Actually the Paseo is what I had in mind but my hands typed MR2 :D....keep up the good work
Yep, similar engine too, Paseo has the 5E-FE, sera has the 5E-FHE :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Allright, this is where I started to get lazy, between the fibreglass and this point in time I had used Q-Cel to fill and smooth some parts of the glass, but I got sick of doing this and in a rush to just finish the job, here's what happened:

Measured about 24L

Pretty crap black paint (you can see the defects in the filler layer, one day I might sand it down and make it pretty, but crap, it's going to be hidden away in the boot half the time)

Crap photo, but filled it with brush on deadner.

Used hot glue to stick on some dacron.

I thought the backs of the terminal plate were crap, so I cut out some closed cell foam, added some more washers, and soldered the wires onto ring terminals.

And...

Not much room between here, found it hard screwing the amp in.

I think the smaller volume (which is closer to alpines spec) and the secure mounting compared to the temp mdf box has made a heap of difference, sounds much better! One day I might pull it out again and sand and fill it some more and get it painted to match the tan of the boot, for the time being I just did it in a black to match the amps, vinyal would be awesome, but for the time being I'm enjoying how it sounds!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts