DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,531 Posts
we are offsetting some of the weight gain by eliminating the spare and the jack.
From my reading on the Corvette Forums, it's a bad idea to remove the spare without putting in a spare tire delete bracket. The car was designed so that in a rear impact, the spare shunts the force down to the rear end. Without the spare (or a spare tire delete bracket) the car will not be as safe in a rear end collision.

Just a heads up.

· Registered
1,531 Posts
Ok, you're right, the rear end won't collaps, and I exaggerated a little, but is safety really a trivial thing, especially when you consider a rear end crash is something you have no control over? It is documented that the spare is integral to rear crash worthiness. It wouldn't be worth the risk to me. Don't forget that Corvette's have fiberglass bodies. There really is not much metal behind the driver.

Regardless, with heavy audio equipment that close to your head would you risk it?

In a car with a hatch like a C4, it's pretty scary to think about what would become a projectile in a collision and the damage that it could do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.