DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
SWEET ! a C4 Corvette :)

And in Idaho !!! I'm in Northern UT, it's cool to see someone "close" doing installs.

~DaVe

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
SWEET ! a C4 Corvette :)

And in Idaho !!! I'm in Northern UT, it's cool to see someone "close" doing installs.

~DaVe
Welcome! I grew up in the Salt Lake area, so Northern Utah is "close" as far as I'm concerned.

I got to work on the Corvette again this weekend, so I have a few updates.

Here's a mock-up of my baffle construction, 26 of 35 plies...

Making an internal brace with my router:

Round-over applied:

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
LOL, that's the same table saw I have. I upgraded my blade to a Diablo 70tpi (IIRC) and it works great...just have to make sure to measure front and back of the blade to make straight cuts.

Jay
Funny, I haven't had any problems with mine. I'm just glad I bought it when I did. I'm hoping this one lasts me another 10-15 years, since the latest version looks like it's been cheapened significantly. The miter table (which is one of my favorite features) has been replaced by a simple miter gauge.

I initially bought a cheaper one and it was terribly flimsy, and had to return it. This one the fence latches solidly and straight, the table doesn't flex, and I can do 30" rips without issue. I upgraded to a 60-tooth blade, which, as you can see, makes nice clean cuts. For a portable saw, it's all I could ever want. Now for a fixed saw, I could go for some additional heft.

Hooking up the shop vac as a dust collector is the best improvement I've made to this saw, though. I was able to cut all afternoon in a confined space without a dust mask!

· Registered
4,230 Posts
I probably just need to adjust my rip fence. I saw the new one today at HD and it did look much cheaper. My first 10" saw was a cheap Craftsman, which I probably built 50 boxes on over 4 years or so was a piece of crap in comparison...but it more than paid for itself. This one should hold up much better, but if I get my own garage someday, I plan to get a nice Delta of something.

Jay

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Super Tuesday update!

Baffle construction:

Recessing the bottom of the box for motor structures:

Box partially assembled:

That's as far as I got yesterday. The t-inserts are proving problematic, I bought the entire inventory from the hardware store (16 total) and I broke and stripped a few during installation. I hope they get some more soon. I usually think these things are more trouble than they are worth, but since I'm only grabbing 3/4" of the 2" baffle (it's 1-1/2" currently but I'll be adding one more sheet of 1/2" to span the entire top) I thought they would be worthwhile. Here's hoping the holes line up perfectly when it comes time to install the subs...

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've had similar problems with HD's threaded inserts. They strip really easy, the t Nuts do too, they cross thead easily. Makes me wonder if McMaster-Carr makes better quality unit.

Jay
These were from Ace, I'll have to try BMC West next, maybe CAL Ranch. The nearest Home Depot is over 30 miles from here, not worth the drive with gas prices what they are, and not worth the time. I only go there for major tool purchases.

· Registered
4,230 Posts
Hooking up the shop vac as a dust collector is the best improvement I've made to this saw, though. I was able to cut all afternoon in a confined space without a dust mask!
Did you need to do anything special, or did the shop vac hose just fit? The shopvac I have at work has a damaged hose, so it didn't fit.

Also, how many times did you have to empty the shopvac?

Jay

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did you need to do anything special, or did the shop vac hose just fit? The shopvac I have at work has a damaged hose, so it didn't fit.

Also, how many times did you have to empty the shopvac?

Jay
Yeah, just a standard 2.5" (or whatever the larger standard size is?) hose. Fits right in. You'll likely need the shop vac on a separate circuit from the saw. I haven't had to empty it yet.

Nice work
Thanks!

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A few minor updates.

I solved the t-insert problem with the "get a bigger hammer" method:

Here is the box with the bottom installed:

Plenty of clearance for the pole vent:

Top view of the Vibe Black Air II subwoofer from a couple model years ago. Really nice subs:

The amplifier arrived today. It's a Boston GTA-1105 which will run all 5 channels (1 channel for subs, 2 for woofers, and 2 for mids/tweeters crossed passively).

That's all for now, I'll work on this again Saturday. Time to build the amp rack next.

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I've really got my work cut out for me with this amp rack. I have to combine several functions into one unit:

Hide wiring
Provide ample room for wiring
Provide access to factory wiring which is located under enclosure
Provide for possible future fan cooling
Provide means for securing front end of enclosure to baseplate
Secure amplifier against excess vibration

This might all be simpler if I were using a smaller amp, but...

Here's what I came up with. I'm going to try to assemble it today. Was going to fix the washing machine but decided to call the repairman instead...

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Made some serious progress on the amp rack today.

Found a good use for my two extra t-inserts:

Test-fitting the amp rack and amp in the enclosure:

That's all for today. It turns out some of my bracing is redundant due to the shape of the amp rack, but such is design-build.

To clarify the design intent of the amp rack, there will be a cutout in the top of the box that follows the shape of the amp, for a flush or slightly recessed mounting. Then there will be one final cover above that. Enough room is left around the amplifier (1/8" on one side, 1-1/4 on the other for wiring, and 1/4" above) to allow for active ventilation if that becomes necessary. The piece which the amp mounts to is removable to allow for access to wiring, crossovers, etc. The space under the amp rack is open to increase the volume of the enclosure.

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
For those who may (or may not) have been wondering, this build is now back from the dead. In fact, so is the Corvette. The engine had a leak in the rear main seal, and the owner neglected to top up the oil frequently enough. He ran it dry for a few miles too many, and developed a bad bottom-end knock. So he took the car back and spend several thousand on an engine rebuild, and has just recently turned it back over to me. It also got a car wash, as well as new tires and rims in the meantime.

I'll post the pictures from working on the box while the Vette was gone, and this weekend I'll likely have more updates.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.