DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Aftermarket woofers installed. These are Vibe coaxials, but they are bi-ampable so I can drive only the woofer. I have used these in the past with impressive midbass results:

This motor structure just barely clears the back of the enclosure:

Why trust the stock foam gaskets to still seal?

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Made some adapters to take the 4" Bose opening down to a 3" opening. I installed all four but don't have pics of that yet.

These are 8-ohm Tang Band W3s wired in parallel. After installing all four, I tested them on my home receiver and they have a nice smooth midrange, really shone on songs like the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Porcelain". Excited to hear them in the car.

Well that's all for now, I need to go work on some beauty trim for the subwoofer enclosure.

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Cut out the back with my Dremel to so I could insert the mounting ring:

Test fitting the tweeter. Note the additional aluminum tape to smooth the fiberglass transition and prevent peeling:

Both A-pillars painted with Rustoleum semi-gloss black:

The next step will be to wrap the entire A-pillar with black grille cloth, but I'm done for today.

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
So I left off after fiberglassing, sanding, sanding again, and painting the A-pillars. Next I wrapped both A-pillars in black grille cloth using 3M Super 90, and painted with three light coats of black fabric dye for color consistency.

In reality, I didn't install the A-pillars until I was ready to re-assemble, but for the sake of continuity I will show the installed pictures of the A-pillars here. Note that because both shots were taken from the driver's seat, my flash made the left A-pillar look much lighter than it is. And yes, his cheap-o GM dashboard is a little gimpy as well, the owner assured me a fix was in the works.

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Ready for the grand finale? The logo is a bit washed out in the first two photos, but I did some lighting tricks in #3 to bring out the full effect.

I will post a video at some point in the future if people need to see that kind of thing, but of course hearing the audio through a camera mic is kind of a letdown. While I could pick the system's little flaws apart, the owner seemed thrilled with the performance and balance of the system, and that's what this was really about. He seemed very pleased with the presentation overall, and commented that it sounded like a good home stereo. I'll take that as a compliment any day.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.