DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone! Slowly but surely, this build log will be coming along - and I'm EXTREMELY excited about it!

My setup will consist of:

Tweeters - SB Acoustics SB29RDNC
Midbass - Stereo Integrity TM65
Subwoofers - Adire Audio Shiva MKIII (2x12 sealed)
Amplification - PPI P900.4, JBL BP1200.1
DSP - Soundstream Synthesis
Connections - KnuKonceptz 1/0 & 4ga power/ground, MTX Thunderlink Expert RCA
Noise Control - 35 sqft Kolossus tiles, 40 sqft TMsoundproofing 1/8" MLV, 32 sqft Foam Factory 1/8" "gym rubber" CCF
Fusing - KnuKonceptz 3 way distro blocks - 1 for power, 1 for ground

I'm hoping to eventually upgrade my subs with two AE IB15AUs and an Alpine PDX-1.600/M6. Also, down the line I plan to upgrade this to a 3 way front stage, as that was my original intent, but the amount of fabrication I had to do seemed a bit overboard.

Crossover points are up in the air, but I'm aiming for something like:
Subs - 60 to 80 LP
Midbass - 60-80 HP to 1500-1800 LP
Tweeters - 1500 to 1800 HP, LR4 for sure
Not sure about the slopes on the sub/midbass yet.

I'm planning on keeping this as stealthy as possible. I want to build somewhat of a custom console to house my amps, dsp, and distro blocks. It will also have a custom cup holder, hopefully an ipod dock, a cd rack, and maybe a "port" for my bi-level vent to blow into for cooling. Tweeters will be somewhere on the dash, still coming up with ideas.

I'll be updating this periodically with pictures; I hope to be finished within the next month or two.

ALSO!!! I want to thank those of you on DIYMA who share their knowledge, relatively unbiased subjective opinions (these actually help me a lot), and most of all - those of you that have helped me out by selling me my current gear/depleting the rest of my money :p <3

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Not pictured - Tweeters, giant log of MLV, Subs/JBL amp (they're in my trunk, dummy) :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, how long you been holding onto those Shivas? Love those subs.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my brother bought them back in the early 2000s, and I got them from him around 2008.

My other brother ended up destroying my brother's Alumapro Alchemys by throwing a cooler in the trunk, so when he paid him back, my brother took that money and bought the Shivas.

I really love the way these subs sound, but there's this really weird noise I only really hear at lower levels, standing next to them with the trunk open... almost like if you gated the signal. The signal dies off in a grainy, digital sort of way. Not sure if it's the amp or the subs, but they still hit really hard and really clean.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you do when you start to lose motivation to start on your build?

I'm sure it's pretty unrealistic, but I was hoping to get this done over a fri/sat/sun. My brother is going to be helping me, and he did his own systems back in the day. I work pretty quickly and don't generally stop until I'm done with something, but I feel like this is draining everything out of me monetarily and I still have **** to buy.

I still have to buy all my fiberglass supplies for my a-pillars, figure out what I'm going to use to connect my speakers, still need to get a roller for CLD, vinyl cement for MLV+CCF, probably need some butyl rope, figure out what size mounting hardware to use...

ughhhhhh! very frustration, wow, much purchases, such time constraint

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my god, I am so insanely frustrated right now.

So, for the past who knows how long, I've been riding around with a stack of amps and dsp stuck to each other with industrial velcro (yes, I know) temporarily as I get comfortable with my DSP and speaker positioning, etc.

I was a student with a p/t college job, so it's difficult to buy everything at once, much less being able to buy anything at all. :p

So everything sounded pretty decent, and my intentions were to originally house everything under a center console I planned on building out of mdf and fiberglass... yeah, that never happened. I decided I would just run everything to an amp rack in the trunk like most people do, but buying enough power wire to get back there was going to take me a while. I finally got everything to make the run to the trunk today.

I go to pull the carpet back to take all the wiring I ran previously and there's water under the carpet, in between the carpet pad.... ****ing wonderful. It didn't seem like a lot at first; I figured it may have just been condensation, but it smelled awful, so I decided to pull the seats out and remove the carpet. Keep in mind, the smell was never there until I pulled the carpet back. My car has never smelled moldy, and people even compliment on how great it smells.

So I pull the carpet out and the carpet pad under it is ****ing SOAKED in water... smells awful. It's like a sponge... I pulled the rear section of pad out and it dripped water all over the carport. The floor pan has little tiny puddles of water, etc. I dried it out and I'm going to let the carpet sit in the sun tomorrow, so hopefully the smell and moisture goes away.

Anywayyyyy, the build has changed a lot and here's where I'm going with it now.

A pair of AE IB15A-4s

SI TM65s in the doors

TB W4-1337s in the stock 4x6 dash locations under the defroster panel/duct. These things actually fit perfectly, minus the left side but I will be using a heat gun to put a slight "dent" in the A/C duct so the speaker sits flush.

Boston ISTS tweeters, probably on a custom plate with the Tang Bands, or in the A pillars... still not sure yet.

The AEs are powered by an Alpine PDX-M6, TB and SI powered by PPI 900.4, Bostons running on an MTX Thunder 280. DSP is handled by a Soundstream Synthesis.

I will try to take pictures as I go, so maybe stay tuned.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me and given me great deals on this gear! You know who you are!

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, if anyone has any suggestions on replacing this nasty ass carpet pad, I'm all ears... as long as it's inexpensive. I have no clue where the water came from or how old it is. This car isn't rusted out and is in pretty good shape, so I don't think that's it.

Also also, I have a bunch of MLV and CCF... would that work well as an underlayment instead of carpet pad?

·
Sith Lord
1,345 Posts
Also, if anyone has any suggestions on replacing this nasty ass carpet pad, I'm all ears... as long as it's inexpensive. I have no clue where the water came from or how old it is. This car isn't rusted out and is in pretty good shape, so I don't think that's it.

Also also, I have a bunch of MLV and CCF... would that work well as an underlayment instead of carpet pad?
Two things come to mind, although they may not apply in your situation...

1. If your car has a sunroof, there's a chance the drains run through the car and could've opened up or clogged. (ask me how I know :mad:)

2. Has it been warm where you been? It could be a large amount of condensation from the A/C...

Also, I bet putting down CCF and MLV would be a fine replacement for the padding...

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response! No sunroof, but it's been cold and hot on and off. Mostly cold, but I'm open to that theory of it being the A/C.

·
Registered
187 Posts
with the carpet out, reinstall a drivers seat and take it through the car wash.

orr......sit in the car (no seats) and have a friend/brother spray the car top to bottom with a hose. run a short coathanger or long screwdriver up through the AC drain line in the engine compartment.

Has it had a windshield lately? also, if your door drains (along the bottom, inside edge) are clogged up the doors could be leaking into the cabin, i suppose.

My guess is a bad weather seal somewhere.

·
Registered
524 Posts
ditto what stylngle2003 said. I would not under any circumstance put carpet back in the car without finding out what happened first. You will just end up having to do it again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
chances are its coming through the blower fan. GM sedans are notorious for the windshield drains getting clogged and water getting redirected into the blower fan for the HVAC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts