DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! Completely new to the audio scene, so please excuse any naive/simple questions or gaffes. Everyone here seems intimidatingly knowledgeable. I'm looking to upgrade my 1999 New Beetle side speakers, completely blew out the left one (high school shenanigans) and the front right one isn't sounding much better. Based on my limited research, it seems as if people are recommending getting MB Quart speakers? My technical expertise is very limited, I don't want to mess around with the headunit since it's basically just me and my friend mucking around with my car. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since someone is going to say it I am going to. We need more information for us to help you out. What is your budget? What music do you listen to mostly? What are you looking for SPL or SQ? Do you want to amplify or just run off the stock HU? Answering these will help us help you greatly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your response! My budget is approximately $300. I listen to rap, jazz, and indie rock. I suppose SQ over SPL, since I assume that my car doesn't extra power to spare for cranking up volume anyways. I think I want to stick with my stock HU since this is my first sound system diy, how much does that limit my selection? (I figure at my budget it won't hurt that much to not replace it)

·
Registered
135 Posts
If your just going speakers and never planned to get a aftermarket amp for them, keeping your stock hu shouldn't hurt you too much, as long as its still operationally sound. And honestly 300 for speakers your not going to amp may be a waste in some cases, also it seems there are four speakers in a 1999 New Beetle, are you budgeting just between two or are you replacing all four?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try the Hybrid Audio Mirus. The company is very well liked on these forums and they are made as a drop in stock replacement and will run on very low power (10W RMS).

Mirus M61-2 6.5" Coaxial Speaker Set - 12v Electronics

I have the step up Imagines and love them. Any many people here have purchased their higher end stuff and get amazing results. Im sure these will give you exactly what you were looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts