DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sealed alpine 10" now on 400 amps and not happy with it. I purchased a sundown 12 sa but I hear they dont like sealed boxes so I was thinking of going 8" ported unless you can give me a idea on a woofer that works in a sealed box . going to get a 1000 watt punch amp for power.
Thank you

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a sealed alpine 10" now on 400 amps and not happy with it. I purchased a sundown 12 sa but I hear they dont like sealed boxes so I was thinking of going 8" ported unless you can give me a idea on a woofer that works in a sealed box . going to get a 1000 watt punch amp for power.
Thank you
Why does the Sundown 12 have to be sealed? If you were going to get an 8" ported, why not do a 12" ported? Or even try the Alpine in a ported box? What Alpine do you have? I have an Alpine Type S 10 in a sealed box with a Rockford Prime 500 watt amp, and it sounds fine.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Depends. Which 8, which 12. A single w7 8 is pretty fantastic but a sealed 12 with enough power will do it too. Really depends on your desires .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only have one cubic foot to work with. I haven't seen any 12 that will work ported in that small of a box not even a 10"

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I only have one cubic foot to work with. I haven't seen any 12 that will work ported in that small of a box not even a 10"
The right sealed 12 with enough power will boogy down. With your power id be looking at a jl w7 8. Not stupid expensive but plays low and TIGHT even ported.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A ported 8 would likely be larger than 1 cu ft gross given port volume. I would go 12 sealed or if you like the response of a ported enclosure the dayton ultimax tends to model up a bit more low bass heavy but you might have to use a 10". Regardless, model up some subs and take a look

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you want to do ported in that small of a box check out the Dayton HO
"Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm" Home

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
that will work perfect.. so now I need help with the port. what size to tune it to 36hz for a 1cuf. think I will use an aero port thinking that would be easier. so aero web says for a 2" it needs to be 6.069716049382715 is that inches or what ? and why do you cut it 5" shorter ?
Volume of box in cubic feetFlare length port required
Tuning frequency 36
Port diameter2
Number of ports1

• - For the 2" Precision Port cut the center tube 5 inches shorter than the Flare Length Port Required value.
  • - For all other Precision Ports cut the center tube 6 inches shorter than the Flare Length Port Required value.

·
Registered
228 Posts
that will work perfect.. so now I need help with the port. what size to tune it to 36hz for a 1cuf. think I will use an aero port thinking that would be easier. so aero web says for a 2" it needs to be 6.069716049382715 is that inches or what ? and why do you cut it 5" shorter ?
Volume of box in cubic feetFlare length port required
Tuning frequency 36
Port diameter2
Number of ports1

• - For the 2" Precision Port cut the center tube 5 inches shorter than the Flare Length Port Required value.
  • - For all other Precision Ports cut the center tube 6 inches shorter than the Flare Length Port Required value.
That's in inches but before you go with an aero port you better make sure it will fit. The port flange for a 2" port is like 5 ¹/⁴" ... putting a 12" sub in one cubic foot doesn't leave much space for that kind of port.

What are the dimensions of the box?

Make the face (the baffle the sub will be mounted in) the length and width then the depth/height 3rd for the outside of the box. And what thickness is the material it's made out of?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Brahma 12 comes to mind.

Reactions: DavidRam

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
what about a passive radiator ?
Absolutly. Might need to go to more like 30-Hz though.
One could also do a 10" sub and a 10" PR...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Absolutly. Might need to go to more like 30-Hz though.
One could also do a 10" sub and a 10" PR...
... and depending on the dimensions of the box might be much easier and more effective than porting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts