DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been brainstorming on how to make orbs for my tweeters. And since I couldn't find any of those little "cups" in PB's soundstage thread, I decided to try some stuff I had around the house.

I considered several methods but got a wild hair and tried a ball of yarn and resin. Lol. Sounds kinda funny, but I think there's potential here even though I wasn't super pleased with the way they came out, as one wound up (pun intended) too small.

It's pretty self explanatory, so here's the pics...

My son said they looked like caramel apples. Lmao. I only had to use two "dips" because the yarm really soaks up the resin.

Initial sanding with an angle grinder. They're obviously not perfectly spherical, but no sharp edges.

I just used the grinder to open them up. The unsoaked yarn came out really easily and the strays that stuck kinda provide built in stuffing.

Fitment.

I could go back and use filler and sand and paint, but since this was v1.0, I wasn't overly concerned with getting them perfect. I had about 2 hours into both of them including drying time.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool - thinking outside of the box.
Lol. I've become mildly obsesed with minimizing early reflections. I'm actually considering some orbs for the mids even though I'll preobably only be able to help down to ~ 2khz or so before the orb gets bigger than I'd like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you using a dash mat? Some have said it helps.
I'm considering it. Going to test with a towel on the dash first to find out.

Where are your mids located? .

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you using a dash mat? Some have said it helps.
I'm considering it. Going to test with a towel on the dash first to find out.

Where are your mids located? .
I'll be exploring the dash mat/carpet thing when I get locations settled. I tried the mids on the dash first and I hated it. Too much in my face. Currently, they're in temporary kicks and I really like them there, but I've started a little glass project to try them in the doors above the midbass next.

I measured it out and because my dash is so steep and the mids have to be so far forward in the kick, the door spot is only ~ 4-5" closert than the kick location. I'd love it if they work out in the door because I hate having them by my feet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting ... looks like your trying to make a pod without damaging the door card. Great idea. hmmm I just might try that this spring.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting ... looks like your trying to make a pod without damaging the door card. Great idea. hmmm I just might try that this spring.
That was the idea because I'm not 100% sure I'll want them there. The only snag is that I can't figure out the best way to wrap it without altering fitment on the back/door/mounting side of it ans still have it be one piece.

Any ideas there?

·
Registered
38 Posts
what about

a piece of sheet metal that goes behind the door card and gets molded into the f-glass pod?
Kinda like an L-shaped piece...

or mold down into that cup holder in the door card...

·
Registered
383 Posts
That was the idea because I'm not 100% sure I'll want them there. The only snag is that I can't figure out the best way to wrap it without altering fitment on the back/door/mounting side of it ans still have it be one piece.

Any ideas there?
You could try adding extra layers to the door mold before you lay the glass. That way, after you lay up the part you can a little extra material behind it with some padding to get the seams good against the door.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts