DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i just got my RS tweeters today and built a passive 12dB/oct 1.6khz crossover... just finished doing some listening on it at home paired with a Vifa/JBL 4.5" mid... using only one side, other side consists of this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-512 tweeter crossed at 3khz...
and this Vifa mid http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=297-305...

fired them up and the top end wasnt very extended but came alive after ~15min of play time...
after ~2hrs of listening it makes my Vifa set sounds muffled and lacking detail quite a bit...
the RS tweeter + Vifa mid sound very very accurate and detailed... they blend extremely well... it sounds more like its only a single source playing and i have them 6" away from each other... the soundstage depth is incredible... sitting only 3 feet away from the speakers they sound like they are about twice as distant...
listening to some tracks from the Focal test cds really impressed me, on some track i can clearly hear when the singer opens their mouth...
can't wait to put them in the car... i havent been such impressed with a speaker in a really long time...

Just for the record i used my ECD-415 as the transpot str8 to the amp... (only a puny 5w/ch amp, but enough power to my listening levels...)

Later
Leo

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will install them in the car tomorrow... i'll post another review about it from a car audio perspective... :)

Regards
Leo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question on the crossover you built for these.
How did you design them and what was the cost?
I'm asking because I'd like to do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Leo,

Have you installed them in your car yet? I can't wait for the review. I'm thinking about getting a set of these but I'm not sure yet.

They look nice...

J.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DocRocz said:
Question on the crossover you built for these.
How did you design them and what was the cost?
I'm asking because I'd like to do the same thing.
I just built a 12dB/oct passive using Solen caps and can't remeber the brand of the inductors... i had the parts laying around, so no cost there...
1.6khz 12dB/oct... :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my friend Raul's impressions of the tweeters installed in the car with ~4hrs of playtime...

I had a chance to listen to the new Dayton RS tweeters in Leo's car.

I must say I think I have a new favorite... just wish it wasn't so damn big.

Here are some of the things I liked that many will probably find usefull.

- It is a metal dome driver, but it has a soft roll-off in the upper end. It is like having the clarity of a metal dome without the side effects... very nice. Personally, it was more than very nice to me... I freaking loved it!

- Leo has it xOver @ 1.2khz or 1.5khz. Since his mids are low on the doors & the tweets in the dash, the range in the upper frequency he gained playing through the tweeters helped raise his stage dramtically. This is what appealed to me the most about the tweeters.

The tweeter is a perfect solution to consider with mids that have the nasty breakup as they play near the upper end of their freq response.

Leo is using a Dayton Ref 7" with the RS tweets. Highly recommend that combo for anyone wanting to go active. The speakers will only set you back $150-$200.
After some more listening, i have to say that i havent been such impressed with a speaker in a long time...

They sound very transparent , accurate, detailed... never strains...
Everythings sounds very realistic...

I still have to do some more carefull listening since i havent drove the car much for these past couple weeks...
Can't think of myself changing any speakers again... :)

Leo

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
300Z said:
1.6khz 12dB/oct... :)
Is that 12dB/oct electric or acoustic?

If electric, then the acoustic slope is probably somewhere between 4th and 5th order, depending on the tweeter/chamber's Qtc.

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1.5khz that's actually where i got mine crossed at, i was looking at the crossover the other day and just noticed it...

Audible there's no lack in the upper freq's...

This tweeter sure was the best aquisition (sp?) by far... now i just need to rewire my car and go active... :p

Leo

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
hey leo,

where do have them located in your car? I'm thinking about getting a set of these but im not sure I want to put them.

Have you tried different places, or were you limited as to where they will fit?

Thanks

Justin

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Justin, sorry for the delay...

I have them on the top of my dash firing up against the windshield... i'll try to take a picture later today... i'll post back when i get the pix...
I never tried it at different places, i just want to keep the stock looking/location... and it works very good, i just feel no need to try it elsewhere...

Later
Leo

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Pics would be great.

About how far apart are your stock locations? I'm guessing the mids are in the lower part of the doors?
I think with the way my van is set up, i'm going to have to put them down at knee level.

Also, now that you have had the chance to really listen to them, how do you like them? Has your impression changed?

Justin

BTW, nice Corrado.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pix... http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/325456/6 the tweeters are underneat those little grills on the dash...
Please excuse my really ****ty looking doorpods... that's my never ending project... but it's getting closer... I'll be getting the Dayton RS 8" to replace the 7" and will build new doorpods for those... then i'll finally finish my install... :p

Well, now that i have more listening time with the tweeters i enjoy them even more... :) love the very open sound from these speakers... couldnt ask for anything else...

Oh, thanks for the compliments about my Corrado... :) the Corrado is a ton of fun... i included a few newer pictures of her too... which is how she's looking now...

Regards
Leo

·
Registered
524 Posts
300Z,

The Corrado was my favorite VW for a long time until I just got my R32! However, my 1996 Golf GTI VR6 needs some audio love as well. Unfortunately, the link you provided does not work. I would love to see those pics. Did you have to modify the stock mounting locations at all? Any info on this is much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts