DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just got the wire from the Ups guy a few hours ago.
Opened the box up and damn this wire is big! The jacket is
super thick and does not allow the wire to be as flexible as other
brands but it will just have to do. I made a quick comparison with a
piece of Stinger HPM 1/0 guage wire and it looked to be about the
same size. (FA wire seemed to be slightly bigger) I believe that the
Stinger wire has 4704 strands in their 1/0 guage wire so im guessing
the FA wire has about that or a little bit more.

Overall, its a good buy.
I'll be installing the wire hopefully within the next week or so.
Maybe I can give more feedback about it then.

Correction: Stinger HPM 1/0 wire has 4214 strands.

·
Registered
18,304 Posts
I got mine the other day. While i do agree it is a good buy, i dont like how its advertized as 100% OFC. Its tinned copper. You look at the wire and its all silver with little dots of copper in the middle. I compared it to the 2/0 welding cable i got a while back and the welding cable with thicker and actually 100%ofc. So was the spool of 12 gauge speaker wire i got which was also advertised as 100% ofc. Still a good buy but not going to lie, i was a little dissapointed. I also got a funkin audio in line fuse holder and it came broken and covered in some black sicky stuff. Was upset about that as well. Also got a lot of alphadamp for cheap which was a GREAT buy. Oh well. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got mine the other day. While i do agree it is a good buy, i dont like how its advertized as 100% OFC. Its tinned copper. You look at the wire and its all silver with little dots of copper in the middle. I compared it to the 2/0 welding cable i got a while back and the welding cable with thicker and actually 100%ofc. So was the spool of 12 gauge speaker wire i got which was also advertised as 100% ofc. Still a good buy but not going to lie, i was a little dissapointed. I also got a funkin audio in line fuse holder and it came broken and covered in some black sicky stuff. Was upset about that as well. Also got a lot of alphadamp for cheap which was a GREAT buy. Oh well. You get what you pay for.

I feel ya! We're in the same boat. I also ordered the 12 gauge awhile back and noticed the same thing. Next time I will def go with the welding wire.
Like you said, "You get what you pay for!"

·
Registered
18,304 Posts
I was actually kinda pissed about that. Only reason i wasnt is because i already have 30 feet of the welding cable and got this just for the "might as well" factor..

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was actually kinda pissed about that. Only reason i wasnt is because i already have 30 feet of the welding cable and got this just for the "might as well" factor..

Wish you had said that days ago! would have got that 30ft off of you or bought some elsewhere! Now my blood is starting to boil... :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am not sure I understand the frustration here.
The copper IS 100% copper (or rather 99.96%), then it is coating with a thin layer of tin for corrosion protection.
There is 99.96+% copper, then there is 99.96+% copper which is tinned.
There are some products that use CCA mixed in with the copper to off set costs. in some cases 30%, in other cases as much as 70%. The FA stuff has absolutely zero aluminum and the copper is 99.96% (industry 100%) copper.
If you are upset because we did not disclose that it was tinned, please realize I was unaware that it was tinned when I posted the product on the site, and I just added it now. That was my mistake.

You are correct, the jacket is thick, but the rating is based on the gauge of the wire, not the pvc as explained in this video:
DIYMA.com Funkin' Audio 00 awg Cable - YouTube

As far as being 0 or 00 awg, check post 11 in this very thread where he did the math
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1832022-post11.html

And as far as "getting what you pay for" I'll disagree.
That phrase is commonly used to insult inexpensive (and cheaply made) things, but unless you examine and compare the example product to the prices of other product of similar quality, it is kind of a baseless claim. You might be disappointed because the product is tinned, or has a thick jacket but you need to compare things:

Someone in this thread said this wire was bigger than Knu Kolossus, which is 0 awg, and sells for $3.95 psf.
That would make 25 square feet of KK $98.75 plus shipping. You paid half that.

So in essence, you did not get what you paid for, you got one hell of a deal.

In either case, Send it back and I will give you a full refund. Product price and the shipping you paid when you purchased it.

ANT

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Guys, I don't understand the gripe against Tinned OFC Stranded Copper. If you think for a second that there's a massive voltage fluctuation due to Pure Copper, guess again. Ask yourself this question:
What Metal(s) compose the Battery Terminals on the posts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am not sure I understand the frustration here.
The copper IS 100% copper (or rather 99.96%), then it is coating with a thin layer of tin for corrosion protection.
There is 99.96+% copper, then there is 99.96+% copper which is tinned.
There are some products that use CCA mixed in with the copper to off set costs. in some cases 30%, in other cases as much as 70%. This stuff has absolutely zero aluminum.
If you are upset because we did not disclose that it was tinned, please realize I was unaware that it was tinned when I posted the product on the site, and I just added it now.

The jacket is thick, but the rating is based on the gauge of the wire, not the pvc as explained in this video:
DIYMA.com Funkin' Audio 00 awg Cable - YouTube

As far as being 0 or 00 awg, check post 11 in this very thread where he did the math
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/1832022-post11.html

And as far as "getting what you pay for" you are incorrect.
That phrase is commonly used to insult inexpensive things, but unles you examine and compare the example product to the prices of other product of similar quality, it is a baseless claim. You might be disappointed because the product is tinnned, or has a thick jacket but you need to compare things:

Someone in this thread said this wire was bigger than Knu Kolossus, which is 0 awg, and sells for $.3.95 psf.
That would make 25 square feet of KK $98.75 plus shipping. You paid half that.

So in essence, you did not get what you paid for, you got one hell of a deal.

In either case, Send it back and I will give you a full refund. Product price and the shipping you paid when you purchased it.

ANT
No insults were intended! If my previous posts seem that way I truly apologize! I've seen the videos and gave it a lot of thought before buying the wire and I still believe its a hell of a deal. Other brands of CCA would have cost that much or more! I agree with you on that. The videos did a great job explaining what the FA wire is all about. I'm sure you honestly didn't know about the wire being tinned or else you would have stated that! No prob! I began to second guess my purchase when I thought it may have been something else besides OFC and another member agreed. I hate buying things and not being told the full truth about the product! But in this case, I understand that you honestly didn't know and were even kind enough to offer a refund plus the shipping costs! I greatly appreciate that! It really means a lot!

I will surrender with no shame! Again, I apologize for any statements posted that may have seemed insulting. The "Pay what ya get for" was kind of taken the wrong way. It was not used to describe the wire as inexpensive or cheap. I could make some analogies but I have a feeling someone will try to twist it and cause me to do more typing! :laugh:

BTW: After doing some quick online research, I learned that theres not really that much of a difference between 100% OFC vs. the Tinned OFC here. Just my opinion. Do your own research.
**I'm not trying to start a full war of "which is better wire" so just decide for yourself**

·
Registered
18,304 Posts
Ahhhhh that explains it. I thought it was aluminum with a little bit of copper mixed in

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Raising the price to offset the upcoming sale?
Once we go down under 30 rolls we railed the prices by $10.
That happened before we decided to have the sale.

We only have a limited amount of these left now and plan on increasing prices once we hit 30. WHich we are under

ANT

·
Registered
61 Posts
I realized I've posted on a few of these threads now, but I need one of these too if you have any left. Please PM me on these and the new Dope RCA cables if you can. Thanks :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Any more of these?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts