DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a receiver for a stereo setup (2 channels only) for my tv room. I never have and never will run a surround setup, I just love stereo setups. However it would be nice to add a sub to it that was not powered by a plate amp, but also powered by the receiver. Is there any 2 channels that also have a powered subout? A 2.1?

I've looked at Onkyo and HK, the usual suspects but can't find anything. I'd like for it to have hdmi inputs as welll.

75x2 @8ohms + 400w at 4ohms would be nice!

TIA

·
Registered
316 Posts
Naahh, aint no such thing. Why would you not want a seperate subamp. Recievers are notorious for overrating the amps in them anyway, the last thing I would want is to have my sub depend on that crappy amplification as well. If you want a nice setup that you can expand on for the future, you might want to look at getting into a seperate setup. For about 750 you can get into a VERY nice little 2 channel setup that will kick the living **** out of ANY stereo reciever you can buy, at ANY price.

Check this company out:
Emotiva Audio: Audiophile Quality Multi Channel Amplifiers, Stereo Preamplifiers, Audio/Video Processors, and Award Winning Speaker Systems At Direct Prices

I bought a theater processor from them, and am in the process of getting into one of their 2 channel amps. The usp-1 is a stereo preamp, and the upa-2 is a stereo amplifier. You can get into the pair brand new with 5 year warranty for 750. It's a bit more than a reciever but it is worlds better quality than any stereo reciever you will be able to get.

Here is their forum:
The Emotiva Lounge - Home

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was leaning toward this :blush:
FRYS.com*|*ONKYO

For $300 seemed like a good deal to me. I have 2 bookshelf speakers:
BIC America - Top Rated Since 1973

I have had these for maybe 7 years or so? They are really fantastic sounding speakers, I wish I could get my car to sound as nice as these.

I dont watch Blu-rays, listen to CD's, let alone DVD-Audio. I am certainly not a home audiophile. I maybe would listen to the stereo 4 times a month?
I would listen to my ipod, pandora and DirectTV music channels.

We often have parties here and thats the reason I need something.
I have a TC3000 that was in my car and figured I could use it with some of the receivers channels while I build a custom enclosure for it many many months down the road.

While the link you sent me was pretty incredible, I do not have the budget or desire to go crazy like that yet. I'd much rather buy a P99 first, my car is where I like to spend the $$$.

So would that Onkyo really sound like poop on that TC3K?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Was leaning toward this :blush:
FRYS.com*|*ONKYO

For $300 seemed like a good deal to me. I have 2 bookshelf speakers:
BIC America - Top Rated Since 1973

I have had these for maybe 7 years or so? They are really fantastic sounding speakers, I wish I could get my car to sound as nice as these.

I dont watch Blu-rays, listen to CD's, let alone DVD-Audio. I am certainly not a home audiophile. I maybe would listen to the stereo 4 times a month?
I would listen to my ipod, pandora and DirectTV music channels.

We often have parties here and thats the reason I need something.
I have a TC3000 that was in my car and figured I could use it with some of the receivers channels while I build a custom enclosure for it many many months down the road.

While the link you sent me was pretty incredible, I do not have the budget or desire to go crazy like that yet. I'd much rather buy a P99 first, my car is where I like to spend the $$$.

So would that Onkyo really sound like poop on that TC3K?
That is a surround sound reciever, has 7 amps in it. It should sound decent on your speakers, but you still need to get a seperate subamp for your sub. Also, it has WAy more features than you need, as it is an AV surround reciever.

Honestly, If I were to spend on a budget, I would go with this Carver setup, it is only 200 more, but is SO much better than that Onkyo, and rather than having a bunch of features you will never use, it is focused more towards the sq, and will sound ten times better than that Onkyo.
CARVER SYSTEM TFM-25 AMP.& CT-3 PREAMP TUNER /MANUAL/REMOTE& AUDIOPLEX SPEAKER | eBay

You may be able to get it for 400, make him an offer, see waht happens. BTW, Onkyo isn't as good as they used to be, they have really gone to the high production philosophy, and the quality has gone down quite a bit in the past few years.

·
Registered
316 Posts
BTW that Onkyo CANNOT run that sub without a seperate subamp. Also, if that is a tc3k, it will want a ton of power to get moving, and you will want to run at least 500 watts to it.

This amp will work good:
Dayton Audio SPA500 500W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier 300-807

You would need a seperate subamp no matter if you go with the Onkyo, or any of my other suggestions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Errr, your right.....no easy way is there.....I just thought I'd give it some power instead of having it sit in my garage.

Separates are just not practical for me right now. I dont have the space and need something the wife can use. Guess we'll just keep using the iPod speaker dock for now instead of half-assing it.

Still a good deal on that Onkyo, but the specs are misleading.

"100 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08% (FTC)"

It's not 100 watts @ 8 ohms x 7 channels. its 100x2!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW that Onkyo CANNOT run that sub without a seperate subamp. Also, if that is a tc3k, it will want a ton of power to get moving, and you will want to run at least 500 watts to it.

This amp will work good:
Dayton Audio SPA500 500W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier 300-807

You would need a seperate subamp no matter if you go with the Onkyo, or any of my other suggestions.
Elemental Designs has a nice 1300W for 450$.
Elemental Designs: Car Stereo, Home Speakers, Electronics
Think Id rather get that, some seperates and call it a day. Ill have time for that maybe this time next year. Need to finish my damn infinite baffle first, sounds like shiite atm.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Errr, your right.....no easy way is there.....I just thought I'd give it some power instead of having it sit in my garage.

Separates are just not practical for me right now. I dont have the space and need something the wife can use. Guess we'll just keep using the iPod speaker dock for now instead of half-assing it.

Still a good deal on that Onkyo, but the specs are misleading.

"100 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.08% (FTC)"

It's not 100 watts @ 8 ohms x 7 channels. its 100x2!
That's what I meant when I said the amps in recievers suck. That reciever probably puts out around 60 watts if all channels are driven. And you would be lucky to see 100x2 out of that thing. But, it will power those bookshelves ok, just wont do a sub at all.

Did you look at that CL ad I put up? That is a setup you can get into for 150 bucks. Then you may have some bucks left to get a subamp with.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you want a quality receiver that is simple to use, and puts out good power, look at a used Yamaha RX-770 or RX-777. You can pick them up on EBay around $125. They are very highly regarded for their SQ.

They sell a new model RX-797. I think it sells for $400-500. It is regarded pretty well too.

Definitely will need to run a separate sub amp no matter which way you go.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
General I looked at that cl ad. Aside from being very old, humongous and 3,000 miles away from me, it looked nice.

Oldskewl, I'll look into it. I would hate to buy used HA equipment but if I can get a deal why not.

I just offered someone local 180$ for a 2 channel onkyo receiver that ha good reviews. Tx-8555 I believe.

I can add an amp later for the sub too.

Thank for the input, anyone else?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you are interested in the old school Dynaco gear, I can be convinced to go look at it, and get it shipped to you if you wanted it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, thanks to your advice(s), I held off on going with a receiver and got some good deals on some used equipment.

I found a B&K Reference 20 preamp/processor and an Adcom GFA 545 II stereo amplifier for $350. The equipment was in very good shape and it even fit inside my cabinet (just barely!)

So far, I am very impressed with the SQ. I have yet to hear any high quality recordings or Blu rays, but its clear the sound is "fuller" then when powered off my old Onkyo receiver. What I mainly listen to is audio from my iPhone or iPod, and even out of the 3.5mm jack it sounded damn good imo.

As far as my TC3k sub, I got a little creative....
I found a nice DC regulated power supply dirt cheap and I used a 2 channel Aura amp I had laying around and bridged it to give it life....lol, kinda ghetto I guess, but It sounds good and will suffice until I get a dedicated sub amp.

Thanks again guys, ill post a pic later.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Congrats on your components. I think you made some good choices. I have B&K components myself and love them. Plus they are US made in NY. I had to send my Preamp back to them for a new power switch.(thought it was more than that). I have not owned any Adcom equipment, but have heard nothing but good stuff. Plus with that Reference 20 you will have room to expand(if you ever want to go 5.1) Check out a B&K amp down the road if you get a chance. They are known to have a warmed tube type sound over the analytical sound of the Adcom. Enjoy you new system!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Well, thanks to your advice(s), I held off on going with a receiver and got some good deals on some used equipment.

I found a B&K Reference 20 preamp/processor and an Adcom GFA 545 II stereo amplifier for $350. The equipment was in very good shape and it even fit inside my cabinet (just barely!)

So far, I am very impressed with the SQ. I have yet to hear any high quality recordings or Blu rays, but its clear the sound is "fuller" then when powered off my old Onkyo receiver. What I mainly listen to is audio from my iPhone or iPod, and even out of the 3.5mm jack it sounded damn good imo.

As far as my TC3k sub, I got a little creative....
I found a nice DC regulated power supply dirt cheap and I used a 2 channel Aura amp I had laying around and bridged it to give it life....lol, kinda ghetto I guess, but It sounds good and will suffice until I get a dedicated sub amp.

Thanks again guys, ill post a pic later.
That was definitely the best way to go. It will be very hard for any reciever to match the sq of what you have there, and the nice thing is, that when you want newer features, just buy a new pre/pro, and keep your amp, as it is pretty much future proof. I would never go with a reciever again after having gone to the seperates route( unless I have to). Partsexpress is having an amp sale right now I believe, so look there for a subamp. There are also the behringer-type pro amps on ebay all the time, for a pretty decent deal.

·
Registered
810 Posts
yea, lots of great reviews of the behringer amps, EP2000, EP4000 etc all many claim to be excellent pushing a sub. Only down side is some claim the cooling fan is noisy & should be replaced. I hope to go the DIY rub route & will either use one or two Behringer amps or possible a class D amp from Wyred for sound.

I have a Adcom GFA-5500 which is a solid performer. To me by far their amps weakest area is their low end, they just don't have much oomph down low. I also have old very power hungry speakers...... under 90 db effeciency & a 12in driver

It is amazing the difference is SQ between a good processor like you have & a all in one receiver. Great call going the way you did. I also went the pre/pro route when I wanted a surround receiver to replace my 18yr old Denon AVR-3000. My wife (girlfriend at the time) had a few parasound amps & we compared their sound to my GFA-5500 which demoted my Adcom to the garage.... The adcoms are solid amps (I think their car stuff is better) & will give many many years of use.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea, lots of great reviews of the behringer amps, EP2000, EP4000 etc all many claim to be excellent pushing a sub. Only down side is some claim the cooling fan is noisy & should be replaced. I hope to go the DIY rub route & will either use one or two Behringer amps or possible a class D amp from Wyred for sound.

I have a Adcom GFA-5500 which is a solid performer. To me by far their amps weakest area is their low end, they just don't have much oomph down low. I also have old very power hungry speakers...... under 90 db effeciency & a 12in driver

It is amazing the difference is SQ between a good processor like you have & a all in one receiver. Great call going the way you did. I also went the pre/pro route when I wanted a surround receiver to replace my 18yr old Denon AVR-3000. My wife (girlfriend at the time) had a few parasound amps & we compared their sound to my GFA-5500 which demoted my Adcom to the garage.... The adcoms are solid amps (I think their car stuff is better) & will give many many years of use.
I have looked at the Behringer amps, but I assumed because of the price that perhaps they were not very good. The power supply that I am using at the moment also has a fan on it and it is a little annoying. Its an Astron 20A power supply, it weighs about 20lbs and is really beefy, but a fan might be a dealbreaker depending on how loud it is.

What do you guys think of these? A Parasound and a B&K, both 2 channels.

I was thinking of maybe offering a trade + cash (the funds are very thin now).

B&K ST1400 Amplifier

Parasound HCA 1000 THX Stereo Power Amp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts