DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I was about to start building this box, and I was hoping to double check whether everything was right, and there won't be any surprises.

Here is my plans according to Bass Box Pro.

4.4 + Disp @ 35 roughly

Here are the vents.

But when I plug it into the RE-Audio Calculator. (same Dimensions)

I get 2.8 Sq Ft. @ 43 hz?

My cuts should be like this:

Box Parts (Square Prism)
1 Top, 1 Bottom: 20 (c) x 28.5 (b) in
0.75 (thick) in
1 Front, 1 Back: 15.5 (a) x 27 (d) in
0.75 (thick) in
2 Sides: 15.5 (a) x 20 (c) x 0.75 (thick) in

I am just having trouble visualizing what the "two flush end" vent is supposed to be.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
In your BassBox you have it set to internal dimensions, I believe you want external dimensions. You also have different size boxes with different size ports, and the one flush end is what you want to use I believe.

·
Registered
147 Posts
fwiw, if I build another ported box for my 2 Type-R's, I plan to try a considerably lower tuning frequency than the ~35Hz I built my current box to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

I taped two carboard boxes together, with similar dimensions and realized that, that design wouldn't fit through the trunk, even though it WOULD fit in the actual spot.

As for tuning it lower, I listen to a lot of electronica so I am not sure whether it would be beneficial for me to lower the tuning as well.

Btw this was going into a BMW E36. I was going to try to build the box very similar to this except have the port and speakers on the back side, since I want the box to sit flush with the trunk. Is that okay? Will it effect the bass at all?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was going to try to build the box very similar to this except have the port and speakers on the back side, since I want the box to sit flush with the trunk. Is that okay? Will it effect the bass at all?

Like your subs would be right up against the seat backs? If so, I think that would have a definite effect, and probably not a good one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like your subs would be right up against the seat backs? If so, I think that would have a definite effect, and probably not a good one.
No I misspoke (typed!) what I wanted to do, was put the slanted part against the BackSeats, and mount the Subs on the flat part, Facing the Back. (You see them when you open the trunk)

I think it would be best to have the port pointed back too? Or could I put it to the front? (aiming it through the Ski Pass)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I imagine (not sure if there's a basis in reality) that my intended port tuning is more accurate if the port is on the same plane as the drivers, because I'm not worried about reflected back waves from the port canceling or something crazy. But, I've been wondering about porting something through the rear deck lid.

Either pointed forwards or backwards would probably work fine, but you'd have to try both to know which will work better in your car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I have gathered due to the solid metal in the back a lot of the bass gets dampened through the seats, so pointing a port through the ski pass sounds like its the way to go for an E36

This is my design, I'm going to build two boxes such as this one, mirror images of each other and point the ports into the skipass while having the woofers facing forward

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just finished my enclosure last night with the same subs. 1.5 @ 31Hz slot port, seperate chambers, common box. I'll post some pics this weekend when it's installed.

J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts