DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm in the early stages of installing a new system in my 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab. I'm still buying stuff, spending like a drunken sailor. Without getting into the details (unless they are necessary to answer my question), does it make any difference sound-wise or result in any install issues to run 2 subs off 2 different amps (HD900/5s), as opposed to running both subs off one dedicated mono amp (PDX M12)?

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
just my personal preferance, I have never liked running the 5+ channel all-in-one amplifier. if they have seperate power supplies, just in a single chassis, then fine. but most have a single supply for the whole amplifier. IMHO, a seperate power supply for bass duty works better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay. Thank you.

It's either: a) 2 HD900/5s, or b) 2 PDX F6s and a PDX M12 to power:

XR Duos
XR center
XR6.5Ms
2 12" subs (still deciding)

With the PDXs I get 150 watts per speaker and 600 per sub, whereas with the JL I get 100 per speaker and 500 per sub. But I also go from having to find space on my back wall for 4 components (Alpine + MS-8) to 3 (JL + MS-8).

Decisions, decisions...

Mike

EDIT: the cost for the 2 HDs v. the 3 PDXs is a wash - they are within $20.

·
Registered
317 Posts
just my personal preferance, I have never liked running the 5+ channel all-in-one amplifier. if they have seperate power supplies, just in a single chassis, then fine. but most have a single supply for the whole amplifier. IMHO, a seperate power supply for bass duty works better.
That issue aside, If I had a Brand X 1000W monoblock amp driving 2 subs, would the performance be the same if I had 2 Brand X 500W monoblock amps driving one sub each?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if the load on each amp was 1ohm, then no, no difference at all. each sub will get 500W and each amplifier is gonna see 1ohm load no matter what. (impedance over freq changes aside)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if the load on each amp was 1ohm, then no, no difference at all. each sub will get 500W and each amplifier is gonna see 1ohm load no matter what. (impedance over freq changes aside)
4 ohm load for subs and speakers.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
doesnt change the example. 1000w into a total 4 ohm load (2 subs) vs (2) 4 ohm subs on 500w each is not going to be any different.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If this helps you any: 2x PDX-F4 and 1 x PDX-M12 is going to run you considerably cheaper than 2x JL HD900/5, and you'll have more power anyways with the PDX.

Main differences between the two:

F4 VS HD900/5's 4-channel section: PDX-F4 does OVER 100WRMS, the minimum it'll do is 100wRMS. You'll recieve a birth certificate. HD uses their RIPS tech, which guarantees you 100wRMS no matter voltage or impedance they rate it at.

2x 500wRMS (900/5) vs PDX-M12: Nothing else but power / headroom matters here. Whether you get dual 2 ohms and wire them to 4 ohms or 2 ohms, or Dual 4 and wire them to 4 ohms, you'll get OVER 1200wRMS with the M12. Most certificated give a number around 1380-1450w RMS. Essentially you'll have 650 x 2, vs 500 x 2 on a dedicated power supply.

Now here's the catch: HD900/5 x 2, vs F4 x 2 + M12 x 1, 2 amps vs 3 amps means less power wires.

Up to you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just throwing ideas out there, so bear with me.

Go with one amp for the subs and one amp for the (6) speakers - I have no experience with audible physics. Less power wire to run, work & terminations and much easier to manage tuning-wize. Let me explain:

i.e,

(1) amp for the speakers - JL XD600
a decent six channel amp for the speakers, in your case you seem to like JL so get the XD600 (or the KS900.6 (I only suggest the arc as I own it) but it might not have enough power for you per your emails).

(1) amp for the subs - JL JX1000D
no need for anything special here. Simple monoblock amp.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If this helps you any: 2x PDX-F4 and 1 x PDX-M12 is going to run you considerably cheaper than 2x JL HD900/5, and you'll have more power anyways with the PDX.

Main differences between the two:

F4 VS HD900/5's 4-channel section: PDX-F4 does OVER 100WRMS, the minimum it'll do is 100wRMS. You'll recieve a birth certificate. HD uses their RIPS tech, which guarantees you 100wRMS no matter voltage or impedance they rate it at.

2x 500wRMS (900/5) vs PDX-M12: Nothing else but power / headroom matters here. Whether you get dual 2 ohms and wire them to 4 ohms or 2 ohms, or Dual 4 and wire them to 4 ohms, you'll get OVER 1200wRMS with the M12. Most certificated give a number around 1380-1450w RMS. Essentially you'll have 650 x 2, vs 500 x 2 on a dedicated power supply.

Now here's the catch: HD900/5 x 2, vs F4 x 2 + M12 x 1, 2 amps vs 3 amps means less power wires.

Up to you.
The HDs will be $20 more -- $1560 v. $1540, per Sonic's pricing. But that's for PDX F6s, which is what I'll get if I go the Alpine route.

Pretty sure the PDXs will provide the rated wattage at 2 or 4 ohms as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just throwing ideas out there, so bear with me.

Go with one amp for the subs and one amp for the (6) speakers - I have no experience with audible physics. Less power wire to run, work & terminations and much easier to manage tuning-wize. Let me explain:

i.e,

(1) amp for the speakers - JL XD600
a decent six channel amp for the speakers, in your case you seem to like JL so get the XD600 (or the KS900.6 (I only suggest the arc as I own it) but it might not have enough power for you per your emails).

(1) amp for the subs - JL JX1000D
no need for anything special here. Simple monoblock amp.
I don't think that will work - I need 7 channels for speakers.

So, the issue still is, will there be any compromise in sound quality running one HD900/5 for each sub (one would also power the 3 XR3Ms in the dash, and the other would drive the 4 XR6.5Ms in the doors).

Cost is a wash and the HDs will occupy significantly less real estate, which is already scarce to begin with. The only issues are 1) SQ, and 2) 50 watts a speaker and 100 watts a sub I'd be giving up with the HDs.

I'm not married to Alpine, JL or any other brand. Just looking for what might work best for me.

Thanks for the responses.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well with running 7 independent channels of music from your headunit / processing in a small truck cab, I will defer to other experts on this forum.

I've never done anything like that so I am slowly leaving the room. I see major phase / time alignment issues in your future.......
Not sure if I can entice you back in the room but I'm installing an MS-8 and fully expect to only be running the XR Duos with the subs. I got the center channel speaker and rears to f around with the Logic 7 for sh#ts and giggles.

Did you come back?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
(2) JL HD600's

Sounds like a "big-pimping" install. Lord knows what gear you have on your mountain bike....

You must work in the oil industry. I lived in Calgary for two years before it became more expensive to live there than Orange County, CA.
It's a little pricey here.

P.S. - the choice is between 2 HD900/5s (not HD600s) and 2 PDX F6s and a PDX M12.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts