DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, great site first post here we go

i know this has been discussed before but i have searched and searched and not come up with a definitive number. i picked up 2 idq 12s d4 from my dealer who isnt supporting the new id so he sold these to me for 140 a piece, and i picked up a 2 cube common chamber enclosure(not sure if this is bad or good) dynamated the inside to give the box some density(5/8 mdf) and no the enclosure sits at around .91-.93 a sub depending on how i figure it. one sub was on the sound board and one was in the box ( last ones) so one is broken in one is not. it is going in a 99 2 dr tahoe. a couple of questions

is the hertz ep1d enough amp at 1 ohm for 2 idq 12's?

what would be my optimal box size for such woofers?

what is the proper way to break in a sub?

the rest of my system consists of an older pioneer head unit, hertz 165xl's running of a bridged ep4 with passive(i know i need to go active) which so far i have been very impressed with and would never buy another speaker unless it was these or better. and a small leftover mtx 2 channel running(leftover from my first system) very low gain to some id ctx 4's in the rear headliner bandpassed through the amp.

i can't seem to get the subs to sound right (only played with them for about an hour) above a certain listening level, maybe i am running out of power who knows. thanks guys for any opinions comments etc. tj.

·
Registered
448 Posts
.90 - 1.1per + polyfill

that amp may not be enough. i found about 750-800 each is where you want to be for the idq's (i have 3 in the FS section now). so id get a 2000watt @ 1 ohm amp for them. i like the rockford power series i use a t1500-1bdcp which does about [email protected]/2ohm 1100 a 4 ohm

headroom>all

a divided box would be better

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
what is it your exaclty looking for? 2 cubes is good 1000 watts for 2 Qs is ok. check your polarity on the subs make sure they are wired correctly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
excellent sound quality, and the ability to blend with the front stage on command, but also give a good kick and get loud when need be. i hooked the same setup to my brothers 4 runner and he has a exile 1500.1 and with his setup it sounded somewhat better. he also has o awg for power wire and a 4 guage wire running to his exile. i only have 4 awg main power with 8 awg to all 3 amps, so i know for a fact that i am not getting the most out the amp,

maybe i will do that and then relisten and see if its any better, if not i know they got a m1c dd amp out there and a exile 2500.1 for cheap and i will use the ep1d for my future m3 system.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
i'm running an ID Q1200.1 and if you go by wattage that's only 200 rated watts more then the hertz one. and i get all that and more from it. my difference is i'm in a car whereas ur in a truck. so i have a trunk changing the sound whereas you don't. i think it's more then just the amount of power your giving it. check the box make sure it's not flexing. 5/8" isn't that strong for 2 12s i'd recommend 3/4 if at all possible. my box is 2 cubes total witha partioning board. but built with 3/4" mdf.

what are your settings at for the sub.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at the moment neither my sub or my headunit are able to turn the lpf off so i have to run both i turned the one on the amp up to around a 100hz so that i could adjust it to however it sounded good to me on the deck, sub sonic set to about 20hz, i have the gain set to a little north of a 1/4 but not 3/8 if i turn it up more than that i get really buzzy muddy bass out of it. it almost hurts to listen to it when the gain is turned up because it doesn't sound good (to me anyway) but at about a 1/4 of the way up it sounds really good. i am not quite sure what it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts