DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
n00b here! quick question cuz I only want to set up my system once. I'm working with a vibe black box stereo 4. two channels will power 2 sets of focal access comps. the other two channels will power my sub/s. I have two JL 8w3v3's in a correctly proportioned, great sounding box. This amp is not 2ohm stable when bridged, so I have to run it stereo if I use both 8w3's, thats 100 rms to each sub. I can bridge the amp to a single sub at 250 rms. better to run both at 100 each or 1 at 250?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
depends on what you want. if the sub will handle that much power, then it will be about the same in dB. distortion will be lower with 2 simply because you will not be pushing it as hard, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 8w3v3's are rated up to 250 rms, the optimal zone in the manual is between 125 - 150. I'm hoping someone here has intimate knowledge of this sub. HAHA, so to speak! thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if they are rated for 125-150 as optimal, I wouldnt go for 250W RMS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You want to do it right the first time? Buy a dedicated amp for your subwoofers.
I said I want to do it once :) and want input on the scenario I described, that doesn't include buying another amp...

however, i'm considering adding a monoblock 2ohm stable 300rms amp for the subs, as you've suggested, but that brings another problem:

the focal 165's are rated at 60 rms max. say I use the stereo4 to power them, they'll get 100 rms each. any risk here? am I making too much of the suggested power ratings?

·
I am Godzilla
107 Posts
Don't concentrate so much on the numbers.
Too much power isn't really a problem. Having the ability to run an amplifier at lower than the max rated power output will allow the amplifier the headroom to "control" your speakers.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the feedback yall! hooked up 1 pair of the focals to the amp today and they are rockin @ 100rms each. i'll add a separate amp for the subs and do it right as angry whopper suggested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts