DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to mount 2 L4SE’s in an array with a tweeter on my dash as a center channel. The reason for using two of them is I want to bandpass them from 80hz (@ 24db) to 9k(@ 24db), and let the tweeter take over from there. I’m not certain that a single L4se could produce the amount of “midbass “ (essentially down to 80) that I want so I’m hoping a pair of them arrayed can do it.
All the crossover work will be done actively via my Ms8.
My biggest question is Will a 2 or 3 inch hole vented into the dash plus the approximately .47 cu ft in the enclosure (10x5.5x15 interior dimensions) be enough space for 2 l4se’s to play well?

I've considered using bigger drivers, but they are well, to big, and i have the L4se's already.

I'd love any opinions and /or recommendations i can get.

·
Registered
898 Posts
What above said. Take one pair and be done. I wouldn't cross then even that low as well. 140hz (18db slope) is what is recommended for them. Even a pair wouldn't do jack, hell not even 10 of them lol. This is a MID-RANGE driver not a MID-BASS driver.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading all of the comments and looking at the Manual i realized that I was not using the driver with in its specs. so I've revised my design, my goal is really to have a center channel with excellent presence and clarity. I think 125hz or 160hz should be a good place for the driver to be happy and not driven beyond what it should be. My question a bout the volume of air is still out there. as well as the new question of will one driver have sufficient output to "match" the L6se's in the doors

·
Registered
898 Posts
l6se's have 2 dB's more output then the L4. One driver will be PLENTY as this is your vocal speaker/presence speaker and will be WAY more pronounced then the mid bass since we hear vocals better then lower toned sounds. With that said, set it up correctly and don't look back!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Bellow 200hz sensitivity comparisons using the derived 1w1m ratings is useless across drivers. You need to model them using the software packages of your choice. What you should see is that you can build an array far surpassing the surface area of the 7" speaker and still have really poor sensitivity under 200hz. Then note that a 7" speaker has quite a bit more xmax than the same speaker in 4" trim. 2x xmax means 2 times more air displaced. In layman's terms, you need an army of 4" to pull off what one single 7" can do. See for example Tympany's effort with the LAT designs and how many LATs and driver's within a LAT one needs to replace a decent sized woofer.

The other issue is whether the dash is actually infinite baffle. What happens to the backwave, are you sure it doesn't make it's way back to your ear in one shape or form?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Why do you want midbass in the dash? I think 1 L4 from 150hz (or thereabouts) up would be about the best center channel you can get.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Bellow 200hz sensitivity comparisons using the derived 1w1m ratings is useless across drivers. You need to model them using the software packages of your choice. What you should see is that you can build an array far surpassing the surface area of the 7" speaker and still have really poor sensitivity under 200hz. Then note that a 7" speaker has quite a bit more xmax than the same speaker in 4" trim. 2x xmax means 2 times more air displaced. In layman's terms, you need an army of 4" to pull off what one single 7" can do. See for example Tympany's effort with the LAT designs and how many LATs and driver's within a LAT one needs to replace a decent sized woofer.

The other issue is whether the dash is actually infinite baffle. What happens to the backwave, are you sure it doesn't make it's way back to your ear in one shape or form?
This^

But if you can't fit a large driver then a side to side "MTM 2.5 way" setup. The closer 4" crossed from ~150Hz to the lower the better to reduce lobing, and the further 4" crossed from same as the other to (i forget now, someone do the math, basically to were the passband it plays is a point source at the ear from two drivers).

What you get is the output down lo where music and room acoustics dictates is needed and the cohesiveness up high of a single 4" without tweeter, plus the benefits of a tweeter of course.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I currently have is the xover set at 180 @ 18 fb. This gives me increased "snap" and places the drums squarely in the front of the car where I like them. Metallica's S&M really focuses very clearly, but has a nice wide stage. Logic 7 and crowd noises make for the best concert in your car experience ever....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not use the Imagine I5-2 set in coaxial mode?

Kelvin
thought of that too, but right now what i have is the l4se's, i'm also considering going over to B&G planars. although right now i'm pretty content with the sound i'm getting with the current setup.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What I currently have is the xover set at 180 @ 18 fb. This gives me increased "snap" and places the drums squarely in the front of the car where I like them. Metallica's S&M really focuses very clearly, but has a nice wide stage. Logic 7 and crowd noises make for the best concert in your car experience ever....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Any pics? Very interested in your setup.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I run my 6.5 inch Morel coaxial from 80 hz up in my center and absolutely love it. Dont skimp on the center and go as large as you are able. Mine seemed to really center the image on the dash.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts