DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was wondering which would sound better, 2 Memphis PR 250w rms subs, or 1 FI BL12 1000w rms sub. (Better meaning louder, but SQ is very important to me also. I would rather it be very clean and moderately loud than a fart sound and super loud). Also, the comparison is based off the fact that i already have the 2 memphis PR's. I got them pretty much for free. One sub is pretty scuffed on the surround. I know they both work, i just don't know for how long, i hear scuffing on surround affects the longevity of the sub, which makes sense, being it's one of the main moving parts. And at this price point (100-ish dollars), they aren't really worth professionally repairing. So i'm considering ebaying them and the free amp i got with them (140x2rms, really underpowering the subs, if i choose to keep everything and go with what i got) and buying a nicer sub. I don't know that i could afford 2 of those sexy FI's, and i really doubt i could afford 2 1000w amps, or that my car could handle it.

SO

1. 2 low power or 1 high power subs? not entering any spl competitions, I would like to be able to pack a punch and show off every once in a while, though. mainly listen to rock, metal, electronic and maybe rap.
2. scuffs on foam surround affect longevity pretty bad? thinking about the ole' silicon and medical gauze patch if nothing else
3. any other recommendations for a nice sub, or 2 nice subs that won't cost me an arm and a leg, are welcome. also be nice if you could recommend an amp to go with it/them
4. i don't actually have my car yet, but it will either be a regular sized car (civic, accord) or a ford escape/honda cr-v type suv. If it makes a difference

I also included a few pics of the scuffs. Nothing pierced through. Just surface scratches.

Thanks guys! All the best
-Daniel

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would think the two 12 will give you more SQ and punch due to the fact that you have doubled the cone area...

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Since you don't have the car yet, this leaves you plenty time to mull over this a bit. Something like two Dayton DVC 12" on a 800-1200 watt amp @ 2 ohm should do the trick if you're willing to give up that sort of room (2 cubes sealed). Plus a good class D amp that gives that power at 2 ohms is easy to find.

However, with that small of a vehicle that you are choosing, a single 12" should do fine if SQ is really what your'e after.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with the recommendation of the Dayton DVC for a economical 12 that will pack a punch. I have a one of the Daytons in my extended cab Chevy truck in a 2.2^ft box tuned @ 33hz on about 400 watts, and it is capable of bouncing the wipers off the windshield. I listen to mostly metal, but listen to a little bit of everything from classic rock to rap and it sounds pretty damn good on everything. I have also had a bunch of different subs in the same box, and it is always my reference sub. In my box, it was louder and sounded better than a Alpine type R, and was even on ouput and close on sound quality to a IDmax. It is a little more bottom heavy than the IDmax and likes being crossed over lower than the ID. For the price I don't think you can do much better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BL isn't an SQ sub

SSD and Q are
I know the BL isn't a SQ sub, but will it still sound good under normal listening?

And i'm willing to spend more than $100, especially if i'll only be buying one. Any more recommendations on a sub that will bump like hell when i want it to, but still sound good for classic rock, jazz, etc.? I pretty much listen to everything, so i don't want to limit myself. Mostly though, I'd be listening to metal, bass-y electronic music, and rap.

Thanks for the replies though guys! This is my first time ever using a forum. To be honest i wasn't expecting any replies haha. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I know the BL isn't a SQ sub, but will it still sound good under normal listening?

And i'm willing to spend more than $100, especially if i'll only be buying one. Any more recommendations on a sub that will bump like hell when i want it to, but still sound good for classic rock, jazz, etc.? I pretty much listen to everything, so i don't want to limit myself. Mostly though, I'd be listening to metal, bass-y electronic music, and rap.

Thanks for the replies though guys! This is my first time ever using a forum. To be honest i wasn't expecting any replies haha. :laugh:
Check out the ssa gcon and icon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts