DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 XES M50, an Audison Bit10D, and dyna comps (6.5 and MD102).

I was intending on using one M50 mono to each side and use the passive xo....but I was considering the possibility of using 1 M50 stereo to the tweets and 1 M50 to the mids and go active.

Any thoughts pro or con on doing the active setup with the components I am suggesting?
I am O/S and and never ran and active setup....but must admit the idea seems cool.

~JH

·
Registered
467 Posts
Tough question there. I wouldn't want to have a BitTenD and not use its time alignment and crossover capabilities, but at the same time, I don't think I could be happy with just an M50 on Dyn mids, unless thet were a low impedance design.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I'd run one amp per channel-can't get better stereo seperation than that.

The MD102 is 8ohm so will automatically pull less watts than the mids and the Bit1 will sort out any other differences.

If you don't like the levels you can achieve you could always then drop in the crossover and re-TA/EQ and just cover the tweeters up when you do it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd run one amp per channel-can't get better stereo seperation than that.

These amps are a true dual mono. The boards are separated nothing connecting them, different power/ground, and even different remote turn on leads!

Tough question there. I wouldn't want to have a BitTenD and not use its time alignment and crossover capabilities, but at the same time, I don't think I could be happy with just an M50 on Dyn mids, unless thet were a low impedance design.
Crap, I didnt even think to check driver impedance. At 8ohm the tweets would only be getting 25wpc stereo......VS. Each set getting 200+ going mono to each side.

Does anyone know the impedance the amp sees with the Dynas using the passive?

~JH

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Definitely run active with the Bit Ten. That way you can match levels and dial in crossovers as well as use time alignment. Where will the speakers be mounted?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That way you can match levels and dial in crossovers as well as use time alignment. Where will the speakers be mounted?
Tweets in the sails, woofers in mid door.

Pic of the recent tweet install, doors are soon.

~JH

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Baron, your signature is priceless. Haha

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
The 8ohm tweeter doesn't hurt output as much as you would think. If I remember right the actual impedance is 6ohm but I may be wrong. I've run it off of the MS8 before which would give it around 12w I believe and it got loud enough. Dynamics weren't that great but it wasn't as bad as you would think.

The Dyn passives are very nice. I doubt you would be disappointed with them. There are many times I regret selling my passives because they sounded great that way and it's so much harder to screw things up that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts