DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea to use 2 tweeters for each channel? I know people use 2 woofers for each door, but I haven't heard of anyone using 2 tweeters. Has anyone tried this? It seems like it would be a good idea for tweeters like the LPG which don't like too much power. What would be the consequences to SQ?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
There's usually no advantage to using 2 tweeters... also comb filtering is more of an issue at higher frequencies where wavelengths are shorter.

·
Registered
242 Posts
2 tweeters playing the same freq? or do you mean a secondary twt to play the super-duper top end? If you're refering the tweeters crossed in a similar fashion as dual midbasses than that's a really bad idea. Generally secondary twts are considered a band-aid for a bad install, but some have tried it and said it came out ok.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had to use 2 pairs of tweeters in my truck (probably due to size & the fact that I am using Q-Forms)... they are playing the same frequencies, but not playing at the same output levels.

The reason I had to was because of the rainbow effect only obvious with the IASCA CD test tracks.

Other than that, there is no advantage to using multiple tweeters & if I did not have to compete there would only be 1 set in the truck... my 2nd set is only there the pass the left & right channel individual tests...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sometimes you need to use a second tweeter up high to compensate for idiotic mains placement (i.e. in the kickpanels), because otherwise your highs will be severely attenuated by body parts and subject to all kinds of nasty reflections from the underside of the dash, sill panels, and so on long before the initial signal hits your ear. Otherwise, it's just added expense with at best no effect and at worst a deleterious effect.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

I put 2 (different) tweeters on 1 side and one on the other side to compare. So far, I can't tell much difference. Even the sound levels are about the same. I still have to play with the phasing and listen to it more carefully. I'll give my conclusion once I figure it out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've seen a lot of installs here in so-cal with dual tweets glassed in the doors, IMO it's just for flash. I see it pretty often in SPL vehicles as well. I would never do it in my vehicle unless to fix a specific issue...

·
Registered
757 Posts
I had thought about this before deciding to use a compact midrange such as the trius........

I wasn't going to have them play the same frequencies, but I was going to have a good low end/midrange tweet like a scanspeak play from 2khz to say 9-10khz, and then use a better top-end tweet like an lpg for everything above that placed more forward on the dash. Basically, the same concept as the CDT thing.

It's like a 3-way setup with higher than usual xover points..........

·
Registered
12 Posts
The CDT kit is just two tweeters with a stereo l-pad. I have a truck with mids in the doors and tweeters in the doors and the a-pillers. I have L-pads on all the tweeters; but the only ones that are attenuated are the a-pillers which are only open enough to keep my image from sinking on the far sides. You run into a lot less problems with a pair of tweeters...I dont know how many hours I have invested in moving my tweeters around to get everything right.

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts