DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I been viewing some threads and notice some ppl put a 3 way in the doors while some do it in kicks. Well kicks is not a option for me. So I notice that ppl also angle there drivers upwards. Looks like there aimed to go to the other person on each door. So is doing a 3way a good idea in doors? Before I think about going 3 way I wanted to know some opinions on ppl doing a 3 way in there doors angle aimed that is. I could also do a 2way with the mids angle aimed. The doors will be well dampened so that will no be a problem. Also should I be make these drivers in a sealed enclosure or should I let them play Ib in the doors?

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really.

You don't search much, do you.
I did search I must be typing in the wrong things to search for.

Edit What key words should I type in search to read more about this?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The main reason kicks are good is that they get the path length differences closer to equal, which is most important for midrange frequencies. Having midranges in the doors would be pretty bad for PLD. And I would think that having tweeters there would be bad for staging.

I'm sure you could get it to sound okay with processing, but it's not the optimal starting point. I run drivers in my doors because it's all a compromise to me, and in a car it's necessary to make compromises to meet your goals. If I had top-notch gear and a desire to win competitions though, I would try to start with more ideal mounting locations.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main reason kicks are good is that they get the path length differences closer to equal, which is most important for midrange frequencies. Having midranges in the doors would be pretty bad for PLD. And I would think that having tweeters there would be bad for staging.
Well considering if I did want to do a 3way and I couldn't do kicks what other spots Do i have to chose from?

Edit: But it is good for the midbass to be angled and aimed towards the other person up in the doors?

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wouldn't hurt, but is probably pointless for a dedicated midbass in a 3-way. It's much more important for the midrange to be on axis.
I see now. So the only reason ppl aim the speakers in a 2 way is to get the mid range from the mids itself to be on axis correct???

If I am wrong correct me.

So if I am right then wouldnt this just be the same case of having a 3 way in the doors with them aimed once again like a 2 way would be?

If I am totally off on all of this then why do ppl aim there speakers in a 2 way setup?

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that's my understanding.
Not sure if you read everything I typed here.... how is it bad now to have a 3way in the doors when aiming 2 way angled is the same thing really? I just dont understand. In a 2 way when speakers are angles you still hear the mid range angled as if it was in a 3 way system in the doors.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I guess I was sorta assuming some kind of setup with the mid high in the door, which makes the PLD even worse than a normal door location.

But really, it's not that a 3-way is less suited to a 100%-door setup than a 2-way. It just kinda seems like a crime to me.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I was sorta assuming some kind of setup with the mid high in the door, which makes the PLD even worse than a normal door location.

But really, it's not that a 3-way is less suited to a 100%-door setup than a 2-way. It just kinda seems like a crime to me.
Well let me clarify then alil bit.

My goal in mind was to look into the new Midrange Dynaudio Esotar² 430

The new Esotar² 430 midrange features a geometrically optimized 3.5”

Now I am having the Tweeters in the A-pillars and I was wanting to have the midbass and midrange in the doors. Thats why I was asking the question. I think you were thinking I was going to have the tweeters in the doors as well. I am not having the tweeters in the doors. SO that goes back to my original question now is it still good then to have the midbass and midrange in the doors together? And if so should I be putting them in sealed enlosures or letting them run IB in the doors?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
it all depends ;)

I will say the same thing I said in this thread.... I think your priorities are wrong

you seem to be more interested in buying expensive equipment that figuring out what and how that equipment would work in your install environment.

Are the dyn's better on or off axis? Why are you trying to put a midrange in the doors? or use a midrange at all?

don't get me wrong, I have no problem with expensive equipment, but application is the key....maybe another b rand of expensive equipment would work better in those locations.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it all depends ;)

I will say the same thing I said in this thread.... I think your priorities are wrong

you seem to be more interested in buying expensive equipment that figuring out what and how that equipment would work in your install environment.

Are the dyn's better on or off axis? Why are you trying to put a midrange in the doors? or use a midrange at all?

don't get me wrong, I have no problem with expensive equipment, but application is the key....maybe another b rand of expensive equipment would work better in those locations.
Well what I might do is just run a 2 way for now then buy some midrange for the kicks in the future not wanting them there but a 3inch midrange should not take up to much space. I am always so afraid someone will step on my speakers thats all.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
if it is a dome a 3" mid is bigger than you think.....if it is a cone, you will need some airspace...either way, install is key.

let me say a couple things....
1. You have purchased some nice equipment
2. You have put in some hard work (over) deadening.
3. getting help on the pillars was a smart move.

With that said, from this side of the computer screen it looks like you made a mistake very common in youth..... you have worked hard and not smart.

You are trying to build a comp car and depending on expensive equipment to do the job, except at comps everyone has expensive equipment......and they have an advantage of experience of installation..... I was at Meca finals and the best car I have ever heard was all about installation.....yes, it did have some expensive equipment, but the time and money wasn't spent on application.

By no means am I an expert nor will I ever be at the level of some of the people here who have been giving you advice, but I am smart enough to pick up on the principles that they are communicating.

take some more time, learn these principles and then apply that hard work with wisdom........ then when you work hard and smart you will achieve the success you are looking for.

good luck and again, I am interested to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
You might be more apt to aim a two way mid because you will want to run the mid to higher frequencies, and it will want to beam. In the end it depends on the driver and frequency, and your axis to the install, not that much on if it is a 2, 3, or 6 way setup. Of course if you go to a comp, don't discount appearances they might want an angled driver just because its cool or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts