DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, great forum npdang. The DIY section has been very educational.

As happy as I am with the lotus tweet, I'd like to try ribbons in my own install. I'm really curious about what ribbons would blend well with the lotus Ref 7" in a 2-way setup. I've seen most people using the ribbons in 3way setups. Is a 2-way setup something I should even consider?

Here is what I have:
Rockford 8250
Tru 4.65
Tru 2.100
Lotus Ref w/silk set
IDMax
EQX

My initial plan was to bridge the 4.65 to the ref set and use the passives. After thinking it over, I've decided to go active. I was planning on picking up a 4 way active xover and using the EQX, but I'm on the verge of picking up a 701 combo. I've been researching the 701 to see what I'm in for. For sake of discussion lets assume I am going to be using the eqx with an seperate 4way xover.

My install is already falling behind schedule due to the change in plans. I will be mounting the mids in the doors. My doors are ugly and I want to keep modification of the panel to a minimum. So for my tweet I am just going to get some of the premade qlogic kickpanels and deaden them. I know it sounds stupid to get kicks for just the tweeter, but this gives me a lot of options for playing in the future. Not only could I go with a 3way active front stage, I can also accommodate the size of a smaller ribbon in a 2way setup.

The qforms list 6.5" as the max diameter, which severly limits the available space for rectagular ribbons. Depth doesn't seem to an issue. My limited processing ability should also be taken into consideration, as I currently only have full octave spacing from 1kz up.

Thx for your input.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I'd keep it simple and go with a 2-way setup. The LCY 130 ribbons are perfect for your qforms... but maybe not for your budget at $190 each.

You could also use the Fountek neo 3 ribbons at $81 each, which are very similar, although the LCY maybe a tad bit more detailed and smoother they are not double the price worth... even though they are gorgeous to look at.

In any case, either ribbon will mate to the Lotus at about 2-2.25khz without much trouble. I currently use the Excel w18 7" mid ( similar to your lotus ) with a pair of ribbons in a 2-way with excellent results.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Dang.

How would you compare the detail and smoothness of the lotus ref silk dome to the LCY and fountek? I am very fond of the lotus tweeters, but curiousity is getting the best of me.

As I've gotten older, I've become less tolerant of sibilance. For example, pretty much all of Theil's current line I find insanely sibilant. I love the detail, but every s feels like it is shredding my ears. Do ribbons suffer from this at all?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Ribbons have the light touch of a silk dome, with the shimmer and clarity of a metal dome. They're very spacious and relaxed sounding. It may be for you... but if you're more of a Scan-speak type of guy who likes a lush, velvety, full bodied tweeter or a rolled off top end ribbons are not for you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
npdang said:
although the LCY maybe a tad bit more detailed and smoother they are not double the price worth... even though they are gorgeous to look at.
wait..what..? ..sorry i was lost in gaze looking at my LCY ribbons... :p

i think if he likes his Lotus setup, then ribbons are for him. :)

in fact, everybody like Tupac.. and you havent heard Tupac until youve heard him on ribbons! :wink: 8)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx guys. I'll try the fountek now, and if I get into this ribbon thing I can always try out the lcy later. The tricky part is going to be getting the 4.65 to put out that little power. :? Everyone already talks about not having their gains up and getting good output. Maybe I should pick up a different amp for the ribbons...

What do I need to do to get this going?

·
Registered
415 Posts
MIAaron said:
So what does it take to pick up a pair of the fountek :?:
Private message or email Mr. NpDang. :wink:

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I really want to apologize about the site right now... working crazy hours and just don't have the time to update it and get it functional. I'm seriously considering just paying someone to "get it done" and working. But if you ever need anything feel free to pm or email me [email protected]. I usually respond same day.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have the caps yet, but I have some 2.6Khz 12db passives that I'm gonna test them out with.

IIRC, the lotus ref passives are a 1.9Khz xover. I have yet to figure out if they have any built in eqing though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.